Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend Tarheel Sports Car Club ran on the Grand (East) Course at VIR (the Grand course is rarely available, and is known as a fantastic configuration to run if you ever get the chance), and I was there with a freshly rebuilt (and broken in) engine and upgraded twin turbos! My best lap was 3:17, as seen here:

·
Inline for the win
4,710 Posts
Hows the car feel now?

Much faster...

DP

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ About the same, but there are a lot of variables. I'm still not pushing it 100% like I was before the rebuild. I probably drove it at 90% most of the weekend, with occasional spurts of 95%. I also dialed the boost down to 16psi, but with the cold weather it occasionally went to 17psi. In general, the car feels strong and runs great.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Awesome - how do you like Harry's laptimer? I signed up for Hyperfest at VIR this year with my FR-S but damn this vid makes me want to bring the Supra. Looks like Trackdaze is doing the Grand Course in the Fall.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harry's Laptimer is amazing. I need to find out how to stop the waviness in the video, but the data it records is very helpful.

·
Inline for the win
4,710 Posts
Brake wise... Are you just running carbotechs on stock rotors? Any ducting?

Just gearing up for Mid-Ohio in 8 weeks with NORPCA group... I can't wait!

DP

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Brake wise... Are you just running carbotechs on stock rotors? Any ducting?
Just Carbotech XP10s front and rear on stock calipers, Centric Premium rotors, no extra brake ducting. So far I've been satisfied with the stock front bumper nostrils which direct the air to the wheel well/brakes. I don't get any fade, but keep in mind that VIR's Full Course (3.25 miles) only has 4 well-separated turns from straights that require heavy braking, plus 4 turns that require a little tap of the brakes. So the brakes get plenty of time to cool between applications. VIR's Grand Course adds just 1 tap and 1 moderate braking turn.

Edit: Centric Premium (made by StopTech) 120.44103 (left front) and 120.44104 (right front) and 120.44105 (rear, both sides) are the part #s. $50 each on Amazon, or THMotorsports.com (a forum vendor) has them too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great video, smooth corner transitions with minimal tire squeal. Patience is certainly one of your virtues. What is your wheel and tire set up? What kind of break in did you give your new set up prior to track time? Curious to know as I finish up my rebuild. I'm chomping at the bit to get out there in the spring.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great video, smooth corner transitions with minimal tire squeal. Patience is certainly one of your virtues.
Thanks!

What is your wheel and tire set up?
Silver SSR Professor SP1s, 18x8.5+37 front, 18x10+39 rear, with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, 255/35ZR18 front, 285/35ZR18 rear. Suspension is a "Gixxer_drew" setup: Bilstein shocks, Bilstein coilover 2" sleeve kit, and Hypercoil springs (front 8"x2.5" ID 500lb/in rate, rear 10"x2.5" ID 250lb/in rate).

Full info here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?675857-The-Blue-Perfection-Chronicles-rehabilitation-of-a-TT-Supra

What kind of break in did you give your new set up prior to track time?
I followed my engine builder's instructions, which were: (1) 2 separate 20-minute 2000rpm sessions in the garage with complete cooldown between them, (2) change the oil, (3) baby it for 100 miles on the street, (4) 1000 miles before track day. I mixed in a little "motoman" method during the 2nd 50 miles, and I changed the oil again at around 600 miles.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Lookin' good, Shawn. It looks like you're making progress since your rebuild.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ Thanks Nick. My whole goal with the rebuild was to get it done in time to pass an annual tech inspection for the track, and run at this event. Lap-time-wise I've gone backwards (slower) just a little, but that's self-imposed as I'm holding back 5-10% to make sure the new parts are all happy.

BTW, I'm loving my Carbotech XP10s!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
When setup changes, I think it's best to feel it out the first couple times. Likewise, I'm still a big XP10 fan since they do the deed for me.

I'm planning to hit the track this year again. I skipped last year since my back was giving me a real bad time and I could barely get in and out of the car without cringing in pain. But it seems to have mostly healed so I'm looking forward to it. I'd love to hit up VIR some day. But it's a 6 hour drive and my wife has zero interest in this type of thing and I find it hard to schedule a few days on my own since the family is a pain in my ass ...though a loving pain in the ass ;-)

·
Inline for the win
4,710 Posts
All,

I am also trying to do a VIR sometime this year as my friends from NC are willing to drive up and join such HPDE event. It would be cool if we all could align and meet up for this.

DP

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd love to hit up VIR some day. But it's a 6 hour drive and my wife has zero interest in this type of thing
I've got one of those too.

I am also trying to do a VIR sometime this year as my friends from NC are willing to drive up and join such HPDE event. It would be cool if we all could align and meet up for this.
So let's make it happen. I'm signed up for a 3-day event at VIR with Track Club USA called "Superfest", which is April 22-24, 2016. You have to be a member of the club, but it's only $30/year. You can sign up for one, two, or all 3 days. For the whole 3 days the fee is $595.00 if paid prior to April 1st.

This club allows for self-tech. SA2010 or newer helmets are required.

·
Inline for the win
4,710 Posts
I've got one of those too.

So let's make it happen. I'm signed up for a 3-day event at VIR with Track Club USA called "Superfest", which is April 22-24, 2016. You have to be a member of the club, but it's only $30/year. You can sign up for one, two, or all 3 days. For the whole 3 days the fee is $595.00 if paid prior to April 1st.

This club allows for self-tech. SA2010 or newer helmets are required.
Maybe May or towards the fall. April 29th-May 1st I am at Mid-Ohio for HPDE.

DP

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last month, 4 years after I started this thread, ran the Grand course again with Tarheel Sports Car Club, my best lap was 3:11:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts