Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im thinking about lowering the car. The setup im thinking of getting is Arospeed Springs with Tokico HP shocks. What do you guys think? The springs are a 2" drop all around.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
2" drop!!! holy hell! maybe good for back but definatly not for the front!

Reactions: Reign_Maker

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
2" WAY too much. H&R lowers 1.6" in the front I believe and you sometimes can't even see the top of the tire on a car with H&R's. Looks ridiculous. You might get away with 2 on the back as said, but not on the front.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
I've got H&Rs on KYBs... I can barely get ONE finger between the tire and the fender... Looks great, but the rim offset is wrong, so on hard breaking and quick turns, I got a little tire rub... So if you drop 2 inches, expect mad amounts of tire rub... Look in my sig for a pic...

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
meh... here's a better side shot... If this isnt clear enough, let me know, I'll get another pic...

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^That looks badass. But 2" is unrealistic for me. Its a DD I want more of a sport suspension that im not going to be bouncing around in hardcore and rubbing around corners, etc.

Yeah you guys are right. 2" is a big drop.

Here are the springs (SO CHEAP!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973861510&category=33582

Im seriously going to get springs that lower between just over 1" to 1.5"

935 has some good prices and a lot to choose from.
http://935motorsports.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=79_14_34_36

Thinking about the B+G ones...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yea a 2" drop in the front just wont work. Here is mine with H&R and Tokico HP's:

I really like the ride but it does rub sometimes when i'm cornering hard or if I hit a bump in the road too fast. But thats nothing rolling the fenders cant fix :D. ooh and that pic is right after I put them on so it dropped a little more after they finally settled :blah:

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Thanks...

I think you're too focused on price... Seriously, when you try to save money, cut costs, you end up paying for it in the long run... If you want a doos lower cost spring, so with iNTRAX... I have them on my other Supra and they set the car nice and handle GREAT! There was a huge difference between the stock set up and the iNTRAX... The H&Rs are a little soft for my taste and I might take them off eventually... But my point is, dont go for the cheapest, because you'll probably get the "cheapest"... Save another paycheck or so and get the good ones... Eibach, iNTRAX or ST...

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
Hey,
I'm selling my set of JIC-Magic Coilovers (Type SF-1). Only used for ~6000 miles. Coilovers offer infinite height adjustment (so you can get whatever height you desire), and the springs and struts are engineered to perform exemplary in synergy. Let me know if you're interested. I'll offer the technical spec's at that time.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reign_Maker said:
Thanks...

I think you're too focused on price... Seriously, when you try to save money, cut costs, you end up paying for it in the long run... If you want a doos lower cost spring, so with iNTRAX... I have them on my other Supra and they set the car nice and handle GREAT! There was a huge difference between the stock set up and the iNTRAX... The H&Rs are a little soft for my taste and I might take them off eventually... But my point is, dont go for the cheapest, because you'll probably get the "cheapest"... Save another paycheck or so and get the good ones... Eibach, iNTRAX or ST...
Well I don't mind spending a bit more. But the intrax ones say "aggressive drop". seeing the 2" drop now makes me want to go a bit higher like 1-1.5. The whiteline and RSR down springs maybe better for me.

http://www.935motorsports.com/mk3suprasprings.htm

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
I think it looks silly with barely any space above the tire and like 3 inches in the front and back of it. The arch of the wheel well doesn't match up well like that. I always thought a better way to fill in the wells was to just get a bigger tire at stock height. The arch of the wheel well would match up better that way, and you would have more ground clearance and lower rpms on the highway. Having gotten used to a truck, I can't stand not being able to drive onto a curb. Cars that can barely get into a parking lot without scraping make me want to cry. As for handling... thicker sway bars and coilovers can take care of that.

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ladmo said:
Yea a 2" drop in the front just wont work. Here is mine with H&R and Tokico HP's:

I really like the ride but it does rub sometimes when i'm cornering hard or if I hit a bump in the road too fast. But thats nothing rolling the fenders cant fix :D. ooh and that pic is right after I put them on so it dropped a little more after they finally settled :blah:
Your tires are fat. Im sure switching to a lower profile tire would cut down on rubbing. Thats a nice drop though :bigthumb:

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
miekedmr said:
I think it looks silly with barely any space above the tire and like 3 inches in the front and back of it. The arch of the wheel well doesn't match up well like that. I always thought a better way to fill in the wells was to just get a bigger tire at stock height. The arch of the wheel well would match up better that way, and you would have more ground clearance and lower rpms on the highway. Having gotten used to a truck, I can't stand not being able to drive onto a curb. Cars that can barely get into a parking lot without scraping make me want to cry. As for handling... thicker sway bars and coilovers can take care of that.
Dood, do you have ANYTHING nice to say? :madfawk: Trucks are trucks, NOT sports cars... Who would take their Supra onto a curb? That's WHY I own a truck AND a Supra...

Do you put any thought into the garbage that comes out of your mouth?

miekedmr said:
I always thought a better way to fill in the wells was to just get a bigger tire at stock height. The arch of the wheel well would match up better that way, and you would have more ground clearance and lower rpms on the highway.
You go do that... Go get big fat tires and put them on your Supra... *you DO have a Supra, dont you?* Get tires big enough to fill the wheel well and come back and tell us what it's like, and be sure to post pics so we can laugh at how stupid it looks...

And yeah, just thicker sway bars and coil overs, holy shit, we've all been getting it wrong... Meh, big fat side wall tires with thick ass sway bars and coil overs will make your car handle like its on rails... Im sure the tire wall wont roll under so long as you have fat ass sway bars...

Shit, and I thought you knew everything... How am I suppose to look up to you when you make retarded ass comments like that? :freak:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
yep big sidewalls make your car handle like ass, although im sure more comfortable.

You gotta figure that some companies rate the drops on 87's and others on 89+ my car barely got any lower when i used to have sts, but when installed on an 87 it looked much much lower.

anyways 2" drop is not bad, just dont run an aftermarket lip.

Ang

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
Reign_Maker said:
to sum it up: :madfawk:
You're going to be a complete ass every time I post now, right? I never said I know everything, and I didn't think I was being mean in this thread. In the other thread you said that if the crank is at 0, that means that it is definitely on TDC of the compression stroke, which is WRONG, so I corrected you. Dr J corrected me on something in the same thread and I didn't get upset about it.

As for my comments in this thread, I was mostly joking around. (did "fat tires 4 life!!" seem serious to you?) If I did opt for a bigger wheel-tire combo, ideally I would start by getting 17 or 18 inch rims. I do think that there's some amount of lowering that is overboard, but I understand how suspensions work and that having a lower center of gravity is beneficial.

As for driving up on curbs and stuff... one of my friends lives on a street where you have no choice but to park with two tires on the road and two on the sidewalk, and that's what most people who live there do. When I go to visit my uncle, I have 3 hours of highway driving that I'd rather not do in my pickup, and then 15 minutes on a dirt back road which is pretty messy. Theres a few parking lots I frequent that have nasty ramps that I'd be worried about scraping on. It's also easier to get out of a snowy driveway when you're higher up. Yeah, we have snow here. The point is: at least where I drive, theres plenty of times when it's worth the trade-off to have some ground clearance and be able to get up over things.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Well it depends on the car too. 2" could be a good thing. Some NA cars I have seen are seriously way up in the air. Way more then 2" of wheel gap. On my 87 NA I can put my hold arm/fist between the tire and fender top.

·
slowest restoration ever
626 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
On my 87 NA I can put my hold arm/fist between the tire and fender top.
Here's my 87 NA:

idk why the last owner put hood clips on the stock hood, or why he apparently painted the car with nail polish.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts