Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew an intercooler hose off at the track last Friday and had to drive it home about 30 miles until I fixed it. Ever since then the car actually idles higher after it warms up, around 2000-2200 rpm. Makes it a pain in the ass to drive in traffic. What controls idle rpm? Did running the car so rich screw up a sensor?

·
462 Posts
Reset your ECU??? Not sure though. Maybe the fuel curve was altered in memory when you popped the hose.

·
0 Posts
Whenever you blow an intercooler hose...ALWAYS stop and fix it..if u drive for even 5 minutes with a blown hose you foul your spark plugs. Reason is..because your feeding more fuel and insufficient air..so the mixture is all wrong. I guarantee if u pull ur plugs they are black like oreos. Change your plugs reset your ecu and it'll be ok.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know now to fix an IC hose right away. Unfortunately I had no idea what was wrong with the car when it happened. Some very helpful people on this forum told me what to look for though and they were right. Thanks again by the way.

As far as my idle problem I have reset the ECU since I fixed the IC hose but it didn't seem to help. I haven't changed the spark plugs yet. I bought some but haven't had time. Seems weird the plugs would make the car idle higher. I have fouled many a plug on my carbureted cars and they just idled like crap, not faster. I guess with a fuel injected car the rpm is increased to compensate for the rough lower idle? Hey it's worth a shot. Appreciate the advise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You've blown a vacuum hose off the intake somewhere past the throttle body. Check the line that go to the P/S pump and everything up between the intake/head first.... If you don't find anything, you'll have to do some digging around the EGR then the charcoal canister area.

Let me know if you need any pointers via e-mail... [email protected]

Z

·
0 Posts
Silver Orchid SP60 said:
On the front of the intake manifold in a small bracket with a small hose connection. Make sure that hose is connected on both sides. This is what caused my high idle for a bit.
which bracket and hose you talking about? I am having trouble with idle also, checking things out.

thanx

·
Registered
429 Posts
check and double check all of the many small vacum lines. I have had similar problem before.

Z

·
0 Posts
will do. but I dont think its leaking vacuum. the car boosts perfectly and the idle will go back down soon as I re start the car. I think i only have this kind of problem running Colder plugs. when I ran stock I never had any sorts of problem with idle.,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got a chance to look at the car. You guys were right. It was the small hose that plugged in near where it says TRACTION CONTROL on the intake. Funny how I never noticed it before even though it was in plain sight. Plugged it in and my idle is back to normal. Thanks for all the help. :beerchug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts