Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 3.0L non turbo supera, its a 1986 with 125,000 miles. what it did not come with is a manual so i have no clu what some of the button and gages are. can somone please tell me what soem of the guages are for, theres one with a shock or stut?? also is this a good year car as far as reliability and HP? is it a easy car to make faster by bolt on products. is it normal to have oil leak around the valve cover. As you can se im pretty lost but i love teh car just a lil usure about it. maybe u guys can help me out? also does this car require premium gasoline?

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
the strut switches on the center counsel control the stiffness of the suspention. normal and its soft and comfortable, sprots and it stiffenes up slightly and when hard cornering it gets even stiffer.

this year car is the lightest of all the other supras.

the car is very reliable and has some pep.
its very hard to make an NA expecially an auto fast. you could hope for mid 15's with just bolt ons.

the valve cover has 6 screws around it. these can get vibrated loose. just take a phillips head screw driver and tighten all these down. also if it smokes a bit on startup after it sits for a while. thats fine too.

it doesnt need premium. it was made for 87 but the car does run a bit better and smoother with premium.

also on the auto the ect is economy shift points. shifts at lower rpms gets the best MPG. pwr is for performance. it shifts the engine higher and gets the car moving a bit faster. there is also a theory of a lockup torque converter when the pwr button is pushed. there is no proof as of yet though. have fun with the supra it was well ahead of its time and still the best looking car out.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it leaks alot of oil around the tranny were the sensor and clutch go in, is this bad?? also i hear ticking in the valve cover, is that bad?

·
HMOOB VWJ NYOB MINNESOTA
1,352 Posts
Be prepare to spend $3k on that car. In the next 6 month I see your car sitting with the engine pulled out:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
supraracer01 said:
it doesnt need premium. it was made for 87 but the car does run a bit better and smoother with premium.
The manual says: premium fuel (91 octane) is recommened, but 87 can be used if 91 is not available. Hardly sounds like it was made for 87 ;) . I measured a 10+% mpg improvement with 93 octane vs 87 in my 86.5 NA. It had considerably more power, too.

Replace that stupid plastic tanked radiator with a metal one, if it hasn't been done already. All of mine seem to break or be broken. NA's don't seem to have the headgasket problems anywhere near as much as the turbos, if you keep them from overheating.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
91 octane! I would never use anything but 98, there is a clear difference smoothness!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
jza71 said:
Be prepare to spend $3k on that car. In the next 6 month I see your car sitting with the engine pulled out:D
LMAO...yeah i bought my first supra 4 months ago...had NO IDEA what i was getting into...the engine is out and the car is on jacks right now :D

and ive spend 3600 on the car soo far...:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts