Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
two wheels is all i need
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't know if there has been posts about this so if this is a repost I'm sorry. But i was reading up on the CT26 and stumbled upon this little article.

Toyota CT20 (1JZ-GTE VVT-i Single Turbo)

The late-model Toyota 1JZ-GTE engine is very different to the earlier versions that most people recognise. While the early 1JZ uses a pair of compact turbochargers, the later version employs VVT-i technology and a large-capacity CT20 single turbo.

This is one of the sweetest Japanese import turbochargers you’ll stumble across.

The 1JZ-GTE is rated at the Japanese-regulation 206kW output and, looking at the physical size of the compressor and turbine, we guess this turbocharger can crank a massive 250kW without problems. The only limitation is the strength of its ceramic turbine wheel. As far as we can determine, this turbocharger uses a conventional-style centre bearing with water cooling.

The compressor inlet to this turbo measures 57mm diameter and the discharge nozzle (which uses a 2 bolt flange) is 45mm. The turbine passage is 48mm diameter and the mounting flange is 74 x 98mm. Four bolts connect the exhaust manifold to the turbine and five bolts are necessary for the dump pipe.

The 1JZ-GTE VVT-i CT20 is a fantastic, late-model turbocharger for big power applications.

Note there are a few smaller turbochargers available in the CT-series. CT8, CT9, CT10 and CT12s are found on everything from Starlet turbo engines to Supra RZ twin-turbos.
Anyone ever get their hands on one of these ? If they exist, are they worth anything as far as power goes ?

taken from this site.
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2247/printArticle.html

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
same turbo as the mr2 ct20b?

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
The VVTi 1JZ is a BEAMS engine ... produces more torque earlier ...

and where did you get that article from?

Every 1JZ VVTi I have seen or heard about has the CT15 turbo...

·
single 1j
456 Posts
what does the BEAMS motor really mean? i heard that the altezza is200 is a beams motor and now that 1jz vvti are also called a BEAMS motor.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
its beams tuned... not sure what all is involved.. but its slightly modified...

·
Banned
330 Posts
You dont see many vvti 1jz's because for the price is close to the price of a 2jz
word i was gonna get one until i heard the price

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have one.

And it was only $800 CND.

And ya, what's with the BEAMS tuned?

I haven't gotten it running yet, because I'm having a really difficult time finding the right igniter for it, because it's a 3 coil pack waste spark ignition system, different from the older gen 1JZ which has 6 coil packs.

Anybody can help me out and tell me what the igniter part number is?

Howi

·
tunin' da beast
479 Posts
A friend of mine has a vvti, but the stock turbo is smaller than a ct26, certainly not a 57mm compressorwheel.
However, generating a 'massive' (LOL!) 250kw (335hp) at the crank is about the limit of it I would say.
My friend is putting down 274whp / 522wNm with this turbo. He uses a AEM (pain in the ass to tune with the vvti though)
(vvti is very nice for big torque as you can see)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts