Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
For anyone who is planning on going single, the removal of the stock twins isn't that difficult. I have little experience with cars(this is the first one that I've done any real work on), and I removed them by myself in about 8-10 hours total. Most of this was done in the dark with a flashlight. The majority of the time was spent just figuring out what combination of extensions and adapters to use to remove the nuts and bolts in the hard to reach places. I didn't receive any hand or knuckle injuries either!! Only head injuries were received. :rolleyes: I dropped my 1/2 ratchet on my head when I was under the car, then I got a cut on my forehead when I smacked it on a jackstand.
All that you need to remove the stock turbos are jackstands, pb blaster, a full socket set(1/4", 1/2", 3/8"), lots of extensions, and those hinge things(wobblies?) for the sockets, a 14mm straight wrench, and a pipe to use as a breaker bar. I also used a sawzaw to cut one of the old oil lines, but that's not necessary. I went the route of removing the turbos and exhaust manifold as a whole.
I just wanted to post this for anyone who is considering removing their twins themself, or in the case that anyone does a search on turbo removal and has a question. Feel free to pm me.
Tony

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I spent 3 hours trying to get the damned top EGC bolt off. My girlfriend came home and hit a wrench from the top while I held it on the nut from the bottom. The thing came off right away. My suggestion would be to have an extra hand for the EGC. The rest really isn't that bad at all.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
I spent 3 hours trying to get the damned top EGC bolt off. My girlfriend came home and hit a wrench from the top while I held it on the nut from the bottom. The thing came off right away. My suggestion would be to have an extra hand for the EGC. The rest really isn't that bad at all.
VeilsideTT: I guess girlfriends are useful for more than one thing.

HomeRocks: Thanks for the info!

Joe;)

·
Very Senior Member
10,016 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Everyone needs a wench with a wrench!!

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
I remember removal of my buddies stock twins. It defnitly wasn't a super hard job, but involved. Theres a lot of parts, nuts, and bolts that are fairly inaccesable. My buddy and I definilty had the most trouble removing the number 2 turbo stay. Other then that, and the actual removal of the twin setup(almost 50lbs) and how it had to be wiggled out... the removal wasn't too bad. Just time involved. :)

CraigK

J

·
0 Posts
Very timely! I'm in the middle of removing the stockers, and am still trying to figure out how to get at all the bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the engine. Been soaking them in Liquid Wrench the past couple of nights as I take off everything else.

No head injuries yet, but enough bashed up knuckles for both of us...

Jim

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
VeilsideTT: I guess girlfriends are useful for more than one thing.

HomeRocks: Thanks for the info!

Joe;)
I thought THAT WAS the one thing. :D

JTanner, I found that the manifold bolts are easy once you get the right angle. What I did for the stuck on, tough to reach ones was turn so my head was facing towards the front of the car. I then put my foot on the tranny pan and used it as leverage. The nuts came right off.

Wench with wrench. :tongue:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jtanner,
You can get to all 6 top nuts from the top, and I believe that I removed the front two underside nuts from up top as well. The 4 remaining nuts on the underside had to be removed from underneath. As long as you remove the two oil pipe lines underneath, you shouldn't have much problem accessing the nuts. You'll just have to come up with some crazy extensions to break them. Good luck.....oh...I'm not sure what kit I'm going with. Most likely a BL with a 63.
tony

J

·
0 Posts
Got 'em off with no problems once I realized there were other tools in my toolbox than the socket set. Used a 14mm wrench for most of them, actually. The most irritating thing was working them off with less than 1/4 turn of movement because of oil lines, etc.

Tony, I got smart and put on Mechanix gloves to protect my knuckles and promptly dropped the 14mm wrench on my head. Guess it's just one of the hazards of removing the stockers. :)

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts