Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know, Supra's are becoming increasingly scarce as well as their parts (particulars the GTE version). Finding a clean, accident free, manual transmission Supra for under $30k nowadays is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have made countless offers to people all across the country and some cases the sellers have completely fudged up the description of the car or down right lied about their cars history. So, I've been on the lookout for not only Supra's....but also SC300's. I've really taken a liking to the Lexus platform, and after countless hours of research, I have come to appreciate the engineering and quality these cars posses. Their interiors are second to none, and with the right exterior upgrades and conversions, they really stand out....not to mention the potent power plants and endless go-fast-bits that can be strapped on.

Anyhow, just when I had given up hope on finding a Supra (deal that fell through in Indiana), I got a surprise call from my cousin over the weekend...talk about perfect timing. He has had a 1995 SC300 Manual since 1998 (second owner) and had taken really good care of it mechanically. It does have some rust around the body near the lower quarter panels. He is in the market for another car for the family and no longer has a need or room for the SC300....so he sold it to me. She will be my new Soarer project with a goal of eventually joining the 1000HP club. So, here she is:

I will post some pics of the rust soon, but from your guys experience, can new sheet metal be replaced on these cars in those areas?

Thanks.

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
Looks like a really nice example. Post up the pics of the rust. I also have an SC I am building. It's a 1994 with only 71K miles now. I am the 2nd owner. Very cool cars.

Steve K.

·
Turbology
434 Posts
Sweet! I too owned a '95 Super Red on black 5-speed. Great car, sold it to a guy in TX. Kinda wish I kept it, seeing yours!

·
Registered
596 Posts
congrats! love the red on black. what are your plans for the car? i just had mine tuned a few weeks ago, waiting on some little bits then i'll be back on the road with my 94.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the only rusted parts of the car. I am hoping they can be repaired by a good body shop as my plans are to completely respray the car and engine bay after.

A little under the spoiler:

Passenger side rear quarter panel (lower wheel well):

Drivers side rear quarter panel (lower wheel well):

If anyone has any experience on similar repairs, can you please provide some estimated costs? Thanks.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like a really nice example. Post up the pics of the rust. I also have an SC I am building. It's a 1994 with only 71K miles now. I am the 2nd owner. Very cool cars.

Steve K.
Thanks Steve, yeah its in very good shape (body, interior, mechanically) however, there is some rust, but only near the wheel wells (see pics above).

Agree...cool cars indeed!

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet! I too owned a '95 Super Red on black 5-speed. Great car, sold it to a guy in TX. Kinda wish I kept it, seeing yours!
Especially in Texas, where they get little to no snow and no salt whatsoever....it will live a great life there.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
congrats! love the red on black. what are your plans for the car? i just had mine tuned a few weeks ago, waiting on some little bits then i'll be back on the road with my 94.
So, I now have two GE 2JZ blocks, four cylinder heads (VVT-i GTE, VVT-i GE, non-VVT-i GTE, and a non-VVT-i GE). I am spending more time on the 1000HP VVT-i head and block build...so that will probably be the engine of choice to swap in her. The trans im keeping stock (maybe send it out to reinforce later), but will upgrade the clutch first thing.

I want to first remove everything, fix all the rust, small dents if any, and put on the 97+ bumper and repaint it either Anthracite/MSB or that nice gray/silver that comes on the R34 Skylines....love that color too.

The rest will come along as I get more experience with these cars and hopefully the support from experienced Supraforums members on right build strategy.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,109 Posts
very nice, I've owned two SC3's before coming back to another MKIV Supra. Though, I'll likely be looking for one again as I've really come to like them. They're solid cars as long as they've been cared for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts