Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short: I want to know the best, fast, funnest, prettiest, most reasonably reliable *sports* car $6-9k can buy.

Must be AWD or RWD, none of this WWD nonsense...

I can't seem to find anything worth selling my Mr2 (~$3-3.5k car) and saving my incoming bonus for....

I'm assuming it's the price range, many nicer car/setups available from $12-15k, or if I wait long enough for the $18-20k budget. OR Could just be because I'm an elitist prick. :ugh2:

·
Registered
268 Posts
buy mine. it's a jack of all trades. I can take it to a car show on Thurdsay, take it to a road course on Friday, rally it on Saturday, auto-x it on Sunday, and all I have to do is switch tires.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
You make a thread like this at least every month:p Pick a car and drive it for a while, dude:stickpoke

I'm just busting your balls, I know how you feel. :)

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
talltrini10 said:
You make a thread like this at least every month:p Pick a car and drive it for a while, dude:stickpoke

I'm just busting your balls, I know how you feel. :)
LOL You wouldn't be the first to say that. For most people, it's a big joke, I can't seem to hold onto a car for more than a year! Literally...

Gonzo: I actually consider that model Subaru to be the best looking, by a long shot. However, all I ever read about Subaru's of that calibre is seal after seal replacements, odd tranny problems, and I really don't favor the interior "quality" (or lack thereof) of that model. However, the RS's step'd it up with nicer trim, seats, than stock, but I love the idea of putting the STI interior inside that chassis, as well as the driveline.

As you say, it can cover all grounds- Winter, daily, and track days, but I do reckon a bit is compromised to do everything right? I don't know if I want my only car to be netting barely 20mpg and require high octane either (if its turbocharged...)

But this is why I might get another 5spd FWD Honda/Acura sedan for when I need a break, so maybe it'll due. Are you remotely serious about selling your car? specs?

·
I have auto ADD.
4,567 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
No MKIII's for me, sorry. Check the "I'm an elitist prick" comment I made above. lol :sadance:
fail

the correct answer was "you can't get a turbo supra for less than 20k." :bigthumb:

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
N/A FC - 87 Octane
Turbo II FC - 91 Octane
SW20 Turbo MR2 - 91 Octane
AW11 N/A or Supercharged MR2 - 87 Octane
AE86 Corolla - 87 Octane
Z32 300ZX N/A - 87 Octane
NA6 or NA8 Miata - 87 Octane
Subaru 2.5RS Coupe - 87 Octane
E30 BMW (325iS or maybe even an M3 if you are lucky) -87 Octane/M3 - 91 octane

Those are the good, fun sports cars i can think of in that price range. I do not know what your idea of fast is, so i just put up a decent list with what fuel they take.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yenny said:
I'll be watching this thread.

Now I'm considering:

2nd Gen MR2
3rd Gen MR2
2nd Gen Miata
E30 M3

Haha, we're a lot alike, I know...you just started that other thread like mine.

Didn't you have/started an LS1-FD idea too? :bigthumb:

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
Im building up an FC for track and club racing. I thought about going for a V8 or a turbo II swap. My car originally is a 1991 N/A. I have actually decided to go for a mildly tuned N/A 13B FC. I have around 230,000 miles on this motor, and it still runs like new. Never flooded or anything.

Other than the usual suspension, cage and what not. I decided to go for an N/A with mild motor work so i can still keep the sound and feel of the rotary, keep the reliabilty (knock on wood), and fill up on 87 still and get decent 25 mpg. Which is what i get right now. You could do that also.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bmw_Neo_Type said:
Other than the usual suspension, cage and what not. I decided to go for an N/A with mild motor work so i can still keep the sound and feel of the rotary, keep the reliabilty (knock on wood), and fill up on 87 still and get decent 25 mpg. Which is what i get right now. You could do that also.
You get 25mpg in the FC? My friend had a 5spd 91 NA FC, and could only get 20mpg tops! I guess his was running rich/bad?

I thought that was pretty horrible, considering my FD with two snails attached net'd 17mpg on average.

I want something faster than the NA FC, although it does wind up higher and faster than my NA Mr2.

I think the ideal setup is something 4 Cyllander and Turbo'd.

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
Yeah i usually dont drive around town past 4000 rpms. If you want a turbocharged good handling FR Car, why not an SR20DET Miata? The swap has been done before. And it will handle better than a 240, and is more creative. You can have it done in for around 5000-6000 tops.

·
The Guitar Hero
205 Posts
PhoeniXDownVII said:
You get 25mpg in the FC? My friend had a 5spd 91 NA FC, and could only get 20mpg tops! I guess his was running rich/bad?

I thought that was pretty horrible, considering my FD with two snails attached net'd 17mpg on average.

I want something faster than the NA FC, although it does wind up higher and faster than my NA Mr2.

I think the ideal setup is something 4 Cyllander and Turbo'd.
You have the 2 already. Get a V6 and supercharge it. :bigthumb:

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bmw_Neo_Type said:
Yeah i usually dont drive around town past 4000 rpms. If you want a turbocharged good handling FR Car, why not an SR20DET Miata? The swap has been done before. And it will handle better than a 240, and is more creative. You can have it done in for around 5000-6000 tops.
I was thinking a 95 240 with a turbo (or SR20?).

I know the Miata's cool and awesome and all, but the 240'd be something different as well, for me. I never see that model, especially done up all nice.

Plus its a hard-top car which I am coming to appreciate more and more. Converts and T-tops are overrated. Hardtop or Sunroof all the way!

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
If you wanna go 240, go for an S14 K, (Kouki) with the sleek headlights and better looking front end. In california theres 240SXs here a dime a dozen, you have to look hard as hell for an original idea. You could go for a 240 Liftback + an S13 Front end + an SR20 Blacktop from an S14 and you would have a sweet ride.

·
Passion Driven
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yenny said:
Phoenix we could get bikes instead?
Bike's are a bit of a "specialty" vehicle, that I couldn't see myself driving/riding 5x a week or so.

Regardless, I refuse to get into them, only because I'm 98% positive I'll break something I can't afford to break, or kill myself.

Even though it is undoubtedly the epitome of speed. Sit on a motor with two wheels and GO.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts