Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I need a bit of help here.
I have a 2000 s2000 with 22000 miles. I love the car. It is great fun to drive and I think it looks good.

That said, I wanted a Supra since I was 14. Now I have found one (97 TT with 55000 miles) that I like and could afford. One thing I am afraid of is rust on the Supra, not that this one has any but in general, I do not want to have a rust bucket down the road or any common problems that I may not be aware of.

What would your choice be. Keep the S2000 or get the Supra. And why would you go with one or the other.

Thanks to all in advance, I know that I will appreciate any and all suggestions.

PS
I know that this will ultimately be my decision but I would like to hear what people have to say so that that way I can make a more educated decision.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Why would I go with the Supra? Because its a SUPRA.

Get the supra inspected by a good mechanic, mine is a 97 and there was no rust. If you want to turn heads even though its 13 yrs old, a car that can put down huge power on stock a block and stock tranny, then this is the car for you.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Why would I go with the Supra? Because its a SUPRA.
and there you have it!! Just be smart about what you are wanting to buy!

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
It is going to be hard to find many people on this site telling you to keep the S2000. After all this is a Supra community and the biggest one at that. Good luck to you though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
at the end of the day what would u rather have A BAD ASS SUPRA OOOOORRRRR a honda!!!!!like u said its really up too u!IMO dump the s2k and get the supra

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for in a car. S2000 is well balanced and a beautiful car from the factory. However, the lack of power and ability to bolt on power adders is a down fall for most Supra owners.

Rust on a Supra??? If the car isn't garaged kept and is well used, then around the rear hatch area its feasible for rust to accumulate. If you don't have the money to buy a clean MKIV, then don't buy one. I would rather have a clean S2000 then a beat to shit MKIV that some kid got a hold of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supramonster,
I know what you mean. It is a Supra site and all I am just looking for some opinions and reasons is possible.
Something along the lines we like this about the Supra but would change this. That said we still think you should or should not get the Supra because of ...
Thx for the help guys.
I may post the same question on the s2000 forum and see how it goes.
What can I say. It is a lot of money and I want to be sure I am ok with my decision.
The kid in me would have both cars and an NSX :), but that is the kid in me.

·
King of Snark
1,521 Posts
I think you need to determine what you want out of a car. Do you want to hold 2 people or 3 people (if someone sits sideways in the rear seat). We can't be impartial since most of us own supras, but we bought them for a reason.

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Get the Supra, and if you take care of it, it will take care of you, meaning keep it clean and be a good owner, you'll love it for a long time

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Small Shot,
I agree with you.
The Supra I am looking at is a 97 with 55k miles on it.
It is a one owner car and the only rust potential that I saw was under the car.
I had the seller lift the car and show me the underbody. Underneath looks good but I noticed some oxidation on the water drain wholes and on the railing where you would place a carjack. I believe that I could sand it down paint it and seal it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Shouldn't even be a question. If you wanted the supra bad enough then I believe it would be an obvious choice.

You're only going to get biased answers on this board, so I am going to go against what everyone else says and stick with the s2k.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how can everybody here be such a big enthusiast and yet can not give me a list of likes or dislikes, a reason for going with a Supra besides a generic it is a "SUPRA".
I am sure that I can write pages on why I like the Supra but I never had one so they could be wrong assumptions.
I know if somebody asked me about the s2000 I would be able to give them more then it is a "S2000".
This would be like if somebody asked you why do you love your wife, finance or gf and the best you can come up with is "I love her". I know you do, but WHY?

·
Registered
382 Posts
how can everybody here be such a big enthusiast and yet can not give me a list of likes or dislikes, a reason for going with a Supra besides a generic it is a "SUPRA".
I am sure that I can write pages on why I like the Supra but I never had one so they could be wrong assumptions.
I know if somebody asked me about the s2000 I would be able to give them more then it is a "S2000".
This would be like if somebody asked you why do you love your wife, finance or gf and the best you can come up with is "I love her". I know you do, but WHY?

So what is it you love about the s2000? Ill be expecting pages for your response.

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
Supra TT's can make crazy power compared to most with just basic bolt ons(BPU) up to around 500 +/-
The S2K can not
The Supra's resale value is not far from what it sold for originally
The S2K is good but not that good

Really, I'm trying to give you a list but again I love my soup so to me not a whole lot compares, honestly you just need to drive it(the supra) and you'll be hooked, trust me, 99% of the things you hear about Supra's from people who actually know cars is true
True, they are fast/clean/fun machines, and Toyota was on another level when they designed it, I really don't know how they even got it past there upper management with how well it's built engine and drivetrain wise, it's a mystery, but honestly nothing we tell you should be good enough, just go test drive it

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you dont know why a Supra is a Supra then you probably should stick with your honda.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I sold my S2000 back in Feb for my MKIV...Both cars are very nice.
Things i liked about the S2000 Over the Supra:
I drove it alot more then I do my MKIV (manly for miles and loud exhaust)
Over all the s2000 got more compliments (Older people and young alike)
I must have the top down in nice weather so the Targa in comparison is a PITA to take off and store in the trunk (Similar situation if you get caught in the rain)
Its tiny, handles well, easy to park (mine had the glass rear window)
Parts are MUCH cheaper to mod
Things I like about the Supra over the S2000:
Huge attention grabber among car nuts
Something you dont see everyday
Can make gobbs of power
I find it overall a better looking car, Huge road presence..
More interior room
Interior is well designed and driver oriented
Holds its value over time, not a bad investment..
I personally like the fact that I can run wider wheels and a 4" exhaust and not be a ricer :D j/k
oh and did I mention you can make Gobbs of Power?!?!

In retro spec I have no regrets in selling the s2000 for the Supra and would do so again.

·
"Granite"
3,112 Posts
I sold my S2000 back in Feb for my MKIV...Both cars are very nice.
Things i liked about the S2000 Over the Supra:
I drove it alot more then I do my MKIV (manly for miles and loud exhaust)
Over all the s2000 got more compliments (Older people and young alike)
I must have the top down in nice weather so the Targa in comparison is a PITA to take off and store in the trunk (Similar situation if you get caught in the rain)
Its tiny, handles well, easy to park (mine had the glass rear window)
Parts are MUCH cheaper to mod
Things I like about the Supra over the S2000:
Huge attention grabber among car nuts
Something you dont see everyday
Can make gobbs of power
I find it overall a better looking car, Huge road presence..
More interior room
Interior is well designed and driver oriented
Holds its value over time, not a bad investment..
I personally like the fact that I can run wider wheels and a 4" exhaust and not be a ricer :D j/k
oh and did I mention you can make Gobbs of Power?!?!

In retro spec I have no regrets in selling the s2000 for the Supra and would do so again.
Well said

1 - 20 of 81 Posts