Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a pic of the top of someone's MK3 Fuel Tank. I'm replacing everything on it and I want to make sure that all the components are screwed down in the right direction(s).

For example, the fuel level gauge and fuel sender unit can be rotated in many different directions and still bolt down...

I just want to make sure. Hopefully someone has a parts car with the tank off...

Thanks...

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Wow John, you still havent gotten that tank in there? Unfortunately I don't remember how everything went. If no one's responded by tomorrow, I can at least get you a pic of the sender unit by removing the access plate in my mk3. IIRC, the fuel pump bracket assembly can only go in there one way. Aren't those the only two things on the tank besides the filler neck?

Christian

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, its been a long agonizing road lately. Hopefully the wheels will touchground this week. I just need to bolt the tank up.

The fuel filler neck, and breather tube are fitted correctly. But, I just wanted to make sure that the fuel level gauge and fuel sender unit are on right. The fuel level especially. There is an "A" on top of the unit and I remember something about the "A" pointing towards the breather tube.

But, hopefully you (or anyone) can snap pix if they've got one laying around...

Thanks Christian...

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Still need a pic. I took my gas tank out yesterday. Everything is in place minus the fuel sender.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes pics please. i can fit the fuel sender no problem, but I need to make sure for everything else.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.
I've got everything on correctly now. Hopefully by friday the car is on the ground!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It got it mounted but...

it seems that my tank was off a bit when i put it in. I've got it bolted up and I was wondering if it looks alright to fill up and drive...

its not that much of a big deal but I just wanted to make sure the tank wouldn't go bad if it was on like this. all the harnesses and lines are hooked up ok, the tank is just off a couple of inches.

Let me know if this install is good enough, hopefully i can fill it up tomorrow after a reply...

Pictures:
1. the filler neck is protruding a bit, but the fuel door closes ok and the cap can be removed no prob.

2. the fuel level gauge / gas tank's surface is about 1/2 inch from the trunk opening. i think the harnesses are bunched up and keeping it from going any higher...the lines/hoses don't seem to be damaged. (thats not twinkie residue, water has been getting into my trunk)

3. one strap is off about 1 in on the driver's side...ehh....

Let me know what ya think. its good to go? :D

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Well as long as the fuel tank feels solid when it's mounted in, everything is sealed up, and all the lines match up, then the exact placement of the tank doesn't matter much. As long as you can live with the misalignment, go for it. But if the tank is pinching a harness, as in there's a harness between the tank and body and the straps are putting pressure on that harness, then I would try and fix it. Could wear out the harness and then cause a short.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, i'd love to just drive away with it like this. But, i think i'm going to take it apart again...just to be safe. I don't want anything to go bad in the future.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do the insides of your guys' gas tanks look like?

Mine was 2/3 surface rust when I replaced my fuel pump, and there was quite a lot of loose rust floating around on the bottom that I couldn't completely flush out. Down the road I'd like to replace my gas tank, just wondering if this is a common problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine had a little bit of rust building up on the fuel sender unit. You can always just take the tank off an pressure wash the inside of it. A good flush can get rid of all the rust particles.

I'm sure there are additives in the market right now for it too, but I haven't looked into it too much.

·
Registered
231 Posts
the gas tank has a tendency to rust where i come from (Denmark, scandinavia)

Check your fuel filter for rust particles. Use a saw to get it open :) then switch it!

Although people say its not intended to be swapped out im not sure toyota actually thought that their cars would run for 20 years :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yup sounds like a good idea savage. racefiend...i figured out what was screwing my tank alignment up.

my filler neck was off (rotated) two bolts over. So the angle was not allowing the tank to position correctly. Its running now, thanks mang!

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
AAAMK3 said:
yup sounds like a good idea savage. racefiend...i figured out what was screwing my tank alignment up.

my filler neck was off (rotated) two bolts over. So the angle was not allowing the tank to position correctly. Its running now, thanks mang!
:bigok:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts