Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about throwing a new catback on my 91T this spring. I want something that looks fairly stock (no big fart can), and also sounds close to stock at idle and regular driving... (which is nearly silent with my stock exhaust). But I would like a bit of sound when i step on it and get some boost going... not a ricey sound but a subtle mean sound.

I can weld so I am thinking of welding up my own 3" system out of some exhaust tubing and some mandrel bends, but I'm not sure what to use for a muffler. Any suggestions? Or any pre made suggestions?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
hks sport. search por favor... theres like 3 exhaust threads a day now

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MKIIINA said:
hks sport. search por favor... theres like 3 exhaust threads a day now
Yes I know all about the HKS sport... my main question is what mufflers have people come across to be used in home made exhausts that fit my criteria....

BTW: how does the HKS Sport sound under WOT?

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
The hks sport is good cause it'l look stock for sure, but I thought it rusted out easy, caue the can wasn't coated like the tips.
eric

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone been able to buy the HKS Sport muffler on its own? I never really thought of that as an option before...

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
stonedworm said:
Has anyone been able to buy the HKS Sport muffler on its own? I never really thought of that as an option before...
Nope HKS won't sell it by itself. They are very VERY stingy about what canisters/mufflers they sell. They sell the Hiper, the CarbonTI and up until recently sold the TI as well. No Dragger, no Dragger 2, no Sport. Maybe at one time, but not anymore.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
I saw someone who had a MagnaFlow muffler that looked EXACTLY like the HKS Sport, and is WAY cheaper. Cant remember who. Might wanna search exhaust threads.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MASHedDough said:
I saw someone who had a MagnaFlow muffler that looked EXACTLY like the HKS Sport, and is WAY cheaper. Cant remember who. Might wanna search exhaust threads.
Kind of like this one on suprasport?

http://www.suprasport.com/product.asp?itemid=219

3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets... I have no idea how it would sound though.. anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trent said:
Nope HKS won't sell it by itself. They are very VERY stingy about what canisters/mufflers they sell. They sell the Hiper, the CarbonTI and up until recently sold the TI as well. No Dragger, no Dragger 2, no Sport. Maybe at one time, but not anymore.
Damn thats too bad... That would just make things too easy :eek:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
stonedworm said:
I want something that looks fairly stock (no big fart can), and also sounds close to stock at idle and regular driving... (which is nearly silent with my stock exhaust). But I would like a bit of sound when i step on it and get some boost going... not a ricey sound but a subtle mean sound.
You have described the HKS Sport perfectly. Browse through my video clips and you'll get a good idea how it sounds...
Inside car, WOT

Outside, WOT on dyno

Compilation vid

It's the perfect exhaust for me and based on your description, you'll like it too. Search Google for HKS and "LET-T16" for the best prices.

3,796 Posts
Magnaflow all the way. 3" in and 2 x 2.5" out--straight through. At idle the sound is just a low rumble and sets a little rough as it is revved to ~2k to 3k but then it smooths right out and you can hear the engine more than the exhaust. I love it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks and sounds great paddlenbike.. Where did you buy yours from... I just did a quick search and found $615 to be the best price so far..

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
There It Is. Thats Nice. (pic above) Thats the one I was talking about. Looks jus like the HKS Sport, looks to be stainless, and will be WAY cheaper if you make your own catback.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silver88Turbo said:
Magnaflow all the way. 3" in and 2 x 2.5" out--straight through. At idle the sound is just a low rumble and sets a little rough as it is revved to ~2k to 3k but then it smooths right out and you can hear the engine more than the exhaust. I love it.

That looks really good Silver... Do you have any other pics of the car at ground level and from the side? When you are driving down the highway with the rpms at around 2500 how does it sound.. nice and quiet or is it a solid drone? Also do you have any cats? Thanks...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
stonedworm said:
Looks and sounds great paddlenbike.. Where did you buy yours from... I just did a quick search and found $615 to be the best price so far..
I paid $589...can't remember exactly where I got it--I will look around for my receipt.

This is my second exhaust. I had a system built first with a dual-tip Xcelerator muffler then with a Dynomax and after four different combinations of mufflers and resonators, it was still louder than I wanted. I sold it at a huge loss and bought the HKS.

3,796 Posts

At about 2500 rpm there is a little drone but its not bad. If you are really looking for next to no noise add a resonator. I do have a high flow cat but its coming out.

The tips do not come with the muffler btw.

HTH

·
Registered
689 Posts
I really like your setup, Silver, i think i'm gonna go with that too. I wanna do a BIC downpipe, full 3 inch pipe, no cats, and same muffler as yours. I'm just debating whether or not i want a resonator. I wish there was some better way to pick exhaust setups :p

·
Registered
929 Posts
when i do my own, i was thinking of using the magnaflow 14834... i think thats the part number but its 3" inlet and 4" outlet on a 5x8 oval muffler.... i liked it because it looks like the tanabe hyper... similar design to stock but has a racing vibe to it cus of the 4" tip.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
the HKS sport sounds great... I had it on my 1j for awile... sounds almost stock with just a little hint of rumble at idle.. very cool sounding exhaust... traided it straight across for my HKS Hi Power

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
the hks sport and magnaflow one look pretty good. And they look stock, which is always good for the sleeper look :D Ckanderson, how do the hks Hi power sound?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts