Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I found this in the for-sale section...

· toyomoto cast iron manifold (hpc ceramic coated)
· turbonetics 60-1 (0.58 AR) turbo (polished / hpc ceramic coated)
· tial 46mm wastegate
· 3" downpipe (hpc ceramic coated) w/ egt probe tap
· custom intercooler piping
· apexi skyline gt intercooler
· dual apexi twin chamber blow off valves
· supra turbo fuel pump
· (6) rc engineering 440cc injectors (never installed)
· powerhouse 3mm copper headgasket (never installed)

-What else would be needed besides the parts listed(electronics, gauges,etc..???)

-Also will fitment be a problem since this is off a '92 SC300?? I know the engines are identical but will it fit in the engine bay of a '95 Supra??

Thanks for your help guys...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your gonna need an intake manifold. As for electronics/gauges, your gonna need a MBC or EBC, and boost gauge. Also get a BOV for the little pSSSSSSSSH!!!!!!!!!!! hehe

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You will need a VPC to control the 440cc injectors properly. But then you will be limited to ~350rwhp due to the injector size, so you will still need some additional injectors to support that turbo. I would recommend ARP head studs when you install that gasket. You'll want a egt gauge, and probably a boost controller and a fuel controller for fine tuning. The stock intake manifold will work fine. Everything should fit fine on the supra.

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
I have some questions for Dave H, Dave S, Larry, or anyone else who has experience with the NA-T build up.

I am putting together a kit from scratch, because I think I can save some money. I am going to start with a starter kit from Turbochargers.com.

For $1700 I can get a cast manifold, Garrett T4 (not a hybrid), and a Tial Wastegate in any PSI (was planning on 7psi). I am strongly considering substituting a T3/T4 Hybrid for quicker spool up.

That leaves me with the following needs as far as I can tell:

Stock SMIC $125
Oil Lines $100
Custom Downpipe and Intercooler plumbing: $500
BOV & Flange: $150

So we have the nuts and bolts of the turbo kit for around $2,500.

Now here is where I get fuzzy: Fuel System upgrades ???

Dave, you seem to be pretty keyed up on the fuel system and the need for electronics - but is that necessary for a 7psi | 350hp system? I was hoping I could put in a TT Fuel Pump and 440cc injectors and not have to change or augment any electronics. Is that wishful thinking? From what I can tell, if I need to get a VPC, I will be looking at close to $1,000 for that piece of electronics.

In addition, what will I need to do with the two stock manifold probes? Will I need to wire something in to deal with my OBDII?

I would really appreciate everyone looking over my punch list and see if I am on track or if I am way off base. Also, the question about the fuel system has been a nagging one, and would like the input of those who have walked this path already...

Thanks much,
Scott

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
A TT or Walbro fuel pump pump is the way to go, but i don't think you can get the 440's to run properly without the VPC. The VPC takes boost into consideration, and add fuel appropriately. If you don't want to buy the VPC, leave the stock injectors in there and use additional injectors to add the needed fuel under boost. The VPC/bigger injector is a much better way to go if you plan on making serious HP down the road.

I'm not sure about the OBD2 deal, I just wired both of my O2 leads to one sensor and it works fine.

·
447 Posts
So if I put additional injectors in, where do they get plumbed in and how do I control them? Do I need to get a "Y" injector or something? And is there a way that these additional injectors only come on during boost?

And did the components/prices in my list look appropriate and reasonable?

I appologize for the rookie questions, I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time.

Thanks a lot for your help and time, Dave. Hope to meet you this spring...

Scott

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You can put the additionals in a variety of locations. :D The Easiest is to put them in the intercooler piping right before the throttle body. Get a good additional controller like a HKS AIC3 or a Greddy Rebic. You can bring the additionals on based on rpm/boost.

Pricies seem about right. You can prob get a used TT intercooler for $75.

·
447 Posts
Thanks Dave, needless to say you are probably the afficianado on this process and the best source of information.

I am very close to having the 360 degree view and understanding it all. I think this is nearly the last question I have for you:

Obviously I will have to get a better/bigger fuel pump, but can I just "Y" off of the line to supply the additional injectors and if so, do I need to put the Y all the way back at the fuel pump?

Thanks again.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
If you are gonna keep the stock fuel line, the best place for the Y would be between the fuel filter and the rail. I'm not a huge fan of using barbed fitting in a efi (high pressure) fuel line because I'm paranoid about it leaking. Another good option is buying a double banjo fitting (toyota sells a fuel pressure test kit like this) where the stock fuel line bolts to the rail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts