Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hayabusa Killer
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this topic has been beaten to death and I can search and find a lot of answeres. But I want to start a new thread so I can get opinions and ask questions and get answers and be able to ask more questions without bring back and old thread.

Here is what I have. I have a 1997 supra. Stock motor, stock head (will probably build a head in the near future) 6-speed. I have a 74GTS turbo, full fuel system 880cc injectors, HKS VPC/GCC and basically everything else needed for some good power. Well I think I am out growing my vpc/gcc and in the future I am going to upgade. What do your guys recomend for somebody that has some decent knowlege about tunning? I want something I can tune myself, that is not too difficult.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well the answer is there is no perfect solution.

The best solution is to get an HKS V-pro. It by far is the best solution. You get it tuned once, and you forget it. It self tunes and adjusts on it's own once tuned. You can not tune it yourself, but getting it tuned once is not that bad. Expensive, yes, but it is the BEST.

There is the AEM, but I am really not a fan of the AEM.. the more reading I do, and the more I learn about it, the more I dislike it.

Motec, great solution, really expensive, v-pro is better IMHO.

Other than that there is the MAP ECU, which is good for tuning fuel, but you still have no timing control so you really do not gain anything over your VPC/GCC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gadfly- do you have any specifics on why you dont like the aem?
I have pretty much the same question as spooledup. Im looking at aem more closely soley because what Ive seen says I can use my original harness which is a big plus.
I have used Haltech and thats my other alternative. I dont think any standalone will be considered easy until you get past the learning curve and once youve set up one standalone, adapting to the next should get easier. I want to avoid piggybacks as much as possible just because of future needs and not wanting to do it more than once. As far as which standalone to get? I would say if youve never done one lean towards the one your local tuner expert carries and can give you help on, otherwise you will be on your own scratching your head...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts