Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Toyota Tech
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on guys? my name is bryan and i've been tryin to get out of the technician side of cars and into the service writer part. I havent applied for a job in over 4 years.
Anyway the point is. i totally forgot who i can put as a reference down? Obviously not any of my mangers at my toyota dealer, i havent spoken to many of the old service writers, managers at the lexus dealer in about a year or so. So........what can i put down? is there a certain age group like.....im 24 so obviously nobody younger than me?

cliffs: need advice on who to put down as reference on job application

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
Call them up/stop by and reacquaint yourself with your old managers dumbass, and then ask them if they'll be references :loser:

What is going on guys? my name is bryan and i've been tryin to get out of the technician side of cars and into the service writer part. I havent applied for a job in over 4 years.
Anyway the point is. i totally forgot who i can put as a reference down? Obviously not any of my mangers at my toyota dealer, i havent spoken to many of the old service writers, managers at the lexus dealer in about a year or so. So........what can i put down? is there a certain age group like.....im 24 so obviously nobody younger than me?

cliffs: need advice on who to put down as reference on job application

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
Call them up/stop by and reacquaint yourself with your old managers dumbass, and then ask them if they'll be references :loser:
what he said.

it never hurts to ask and most of the time you would be surprised how helpful people can be. they have been in your shoes, looking for a job and not knowing who to ask. reacquaint yourself, offer to take them to lunch to have a chat or something.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
Arg man, I was a service writer for a major luxury manufacturer. 60 hour weeks. Decent pay.

Forcing you to sell crap to people that don't need it = me getting fired because I wouldn't sell tranny flushes, coolant flushes, or "induction" services to people that didn't need it...

I got "laid off" according to them due to slow winter season some yeras back... It was the only time I went on unemployment, and did so for a few months and felt like a loser, but I did it because I was living at home at the time, and my mom had grown accustom to be just dropping 2 grand on her desk every month just because I had so much extra, so I did it to keep the income flowing.

I didn't slack off at my job, and went hundreds of miles out of my way to serve our customers because we serviced a huge area... Despite my glowing letters of praise from our customers, it wasn't enough because I didn't scam people.

So honestly...
Screw service writing.
The mechanics are premadonnas, as a service writer you have to lie all of the time to cover for your retarded mechanics. You have to come up with BS on the fly as to explain why something wasn't fixed the right the first time, or why something that was very easy to fix wasn't.

And when the customer cannot for the life of them describe whats going on with their own car, and you use "quotes" so you don't get made fun of,... lol

It's just a pain in the arse. I liked the people I worked with, but there was too much friction because I wanted to do well for my mechanics try and put food on their table by getting work for them, but I had an obligation to be truthful to myself, and the customer, and there was a very very bad conflict at times...

Subsequently, when I get BS'ed at a dealership, or some other automotive institution I flip out because it's like I already know whats going on, and they stick to their story, until I tell them I used to be a service writer don't BS me kinda deal, then they just stop and say, it is the way it is... So. I'm glad I did it for the year or so that I did, I learned a lot but won't do it again, unless I'm in dire straits economically, or have no other job prospect. :dunno:

In otherwords, it may not be for you, however it all does depend on where you work.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,357 Posts
noooo dont do it. i have alot of buddys who are service writers and there all assholes now. you have to kiss peoples ass all day everyday.... its not worth the money man...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts