Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Supra Turbo
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i'd like to introduce myself a little bit.

i just joined this forum after recently purchasing a '91 supra. i really lucked out with the configurations, and how we found it. some details about it are it's red, stickshift, turbo, leather interior (from what i heard pretty rare), targa, and mostly stock with 123k miles.

the way i found it with my dad was one day, he texted me asking about this supra and asking if i were interested in it. i had OK knowledge on the mk3 supra, but i knew for sure that i was interested in it. the mk4s are obviously way overpriced as i'm trying to do this on a realistic budget, (i don't wanna do nothing too crazy yet as i don't have enough money at the moment) and who in the right mind can hate on the mk3? it's got the boxy look of the 80s, and glorious pop-up headlights! anyways, after saying i was interested he had told me that this was our family friend's brother's car that was flexible with the price and we were aiming for a 5-10k range on the car. we ended up settling for a 7.5k price and i was finally the new owner of a mk3 Supra.

according to the previous owner, it was maintained well, had a refresh on the paint, and overall in solid condition. aside from some trim pieces and such gone, it runs and drives perfectly.

now that i introduced myself (albeit a long introduction) i would like to get to the point of why i'm posting here. i'm positive that there are some people who have better know-how than me on looking for parts on a mk3 ('91) supra and also have good suggestions on stereos that can look like it actually fits there (preferably with a screen) for a good bang for buck price. i will post what trim pieces i'm looking for later, as it is currently nighttime where i live and i don't want to wake anyone else up and obviously get good pictures for you guys to see on the parts i'm looking for when it's light out.

as of now i'll tell you guys some parts i'm looking for that i can remember from the top of my head: the center console latch is broken, (doesn't latch and the handle's broken) it seems that the cup holders have some sort of method of staying in place but broke off sometime ago so i'll probably have to find a way to replace it. also, the storage space in front of the center console's mechanism for opening it seems to be loose, and the border surrounding the rear windshield seems to have deteriorated a little bit, (i'm guessing the border part is supposed to be black and it's chipped to chrome now). in a couple of hours when it's daytime, i'll update this post with more problems, details, and pictures. any help or advice will help astronomically as this is my first sorta "project car". thank you!

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
536 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Post pics when you get a chance.

The broken pieces you list are common to be worn out. Unfortunately they (and other parts) are out of production now, so sometimes used parts are the only way to go.

Trim falls into that category. With the exception of the 4 pieces of rear window trim that are still available from Toyota (for about $350-$400) everything else will have to be found online or in a parts yard. Also, I've had good luck using black vinyl wrap on pieces like the front window to cover the chrome.

·
...pop the hood!
950 Posts
congrats and welcome

·
Registered
917 Posts
the center console latch is broken, (doesn't latch and the handle's broken)
Still available through Toyota, part number 58976-22020

seems that the cup holders have some sort of method of staying in place but broke off sometime ago
Cup holder stuff is discontinued so that will need a non OEM solution if you can't repair what you have.

he storage space in front of the center console's mechanism for opening it seems to be loose
That little compartment is held in by a single screw under a little piece of cloth that is cut to fit. If that's even there for yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts