Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got invited to a GM product line preview today because I'm the fleet manager for my company. They had a 45 second auto-x course set up and we could choose a Pontiac G6, a Saturn Sky, or Cobalt SS to take through the course. I picked the Sky because my girl wants one. I'm 6'4" for daily driving it would be tolerable but performance driving would be a bit of a pain. The window switch was almost right under my elbow on the door so it was a pita to work. The trunk is typical for a roadster, with the top up you couldn't get golf clubs in there and with it down you could fit at most a briefcase. Now for the flogging. I told the guy riding that I have auto-xed for 10 years so I knew how to handle cars and asked how hard I could push this thing. He looked over and saw his boss went inside so he said "reach up her skirt until you feel skin." I took it to 4500 and brought out the clutch with a quickness that resulted in getting a long squeal and minumal smoke from the 245 RSA's. I went through 1st and banged 2nd hard enough to get the rear diff to smack the bottom of the car with a loud thud. The first turn was coming up fast as I reached the end of second gear I still had some straight left so I let it hit the 7,000 rpm limiter a few times which upset the car. I had to do some trail braking to get the front end back in line for the left hander. Once it settled down it handled rather neutral but right away you could tell if the car was nose heavy on the scales and only smooth inputs would keep it from understeering. Through the next few turns the car seemed pretty neutral once I got a feel for it and could stay smooth with the inputs. I think a bigger sway bar in the back would balance it out more. The brakes where decent at initially but as you got deeper in the pedal they felt a little empty. I didn't look but it felt like they use a dual stage booster. I wasn't too impressed with the short shifter, it was smooth and clean engaging but you had to "search" for the gates which slows down the shifts. The transition to VVT was so mild I didn't even notice it. In overall performance standars the motor leaves a little to be desired but in the under $30,000 roadster class it will hold it's own. Being a taller person the steering wheel blocks the tach when it climbs above 4,000 rpms. I didn't get to drive it in a tame on the road manner, so I can't comment on it streetability. From a auto-x standpoint though it will be good competition for the almighty Miata in stock form.

Cliffs:
decent power for a sub-$30,000 roadster
VVT is weak
almost neutral handling at all times, a little nose heavy so you need to be smooth
trunk is a joke but what roadster's isn't, I hope you don't golf.
I personally think it will wind becoming a chic car, but it's still cool.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
nice little write up. i have not gotten to push one yet, but I have studied the car in person a lot, and as I have pointed out in other threads, I have serious gripes with quality of the build, quality of the materials, the ergonomics - like the window switch - the top that doesnt seat right or fold right, etc, etc, etc. I hope the RedLine is a blast to drive because otherwise I dont know if the car can sell me on looks and some A/X ability. For the same price I can get a lighter, better built miata - and once the MazdaSpeed version of that makes an appearence thats all she wrote for the SKY for true enthusiasts IMO.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Was the engine as bad that they say in some publications? They often lambaste it for being very rough and reluctant to rev.

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
I've driven the solstice (no sky yet) and yes, the eco-tec is not smoth nor does it like to rev. As Wob's said about 3 dozen times here it feels like it has 600lbs of rotating mass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts