Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm grateful heff lives by me, and likes to push my car around so much :)

anyways.
So,
I was driving home last night from work, and my car starts smoking under the hood where the coolant res is. I'm not too worried, since the cap is cracked and what not, so I pull over into a gas station, check it out, and the cap cracked again, so it's cracked in two spots. The water was pretty much boiling though....(It's pretty much all water, a coolant hose came loose a couple days after I got the car back after a engine swap, and hadn't flushed and refilled it with coolant yet, and it's been periodically losing some coolant, so I've been refilling it with water.) So I tape it up temoparily to keep the cracks closed and shit.
Go to pull a part today and get a new one I found off some volvo or something, it fits fine and everything.
So I put it on, the coolant tank is about half full. Go home, car dies 3 times along the way, and the 3rd, it won't restart, as I'm sitting in the left hand lane to turn left into arco to get some oil since I had about half full. So, luckily I'm talking to heff on the phone, he comes and helps me AGAIN. Seriously, I would've hugged him, but he was really dirty. he put in new shocks. anyways, we get it off into a parking lot with the help of a random black guy who apparently likes supras, and pop the hood, NOTHING IN THE COOLANT TANK. Completely empty. it took about 15 minutes to get to arco and I waited probably another 15 waiting for heff. So. I put some water in it, and it starts. We go to heff's, wash the car, I go to leave for work, the water is all gone AGAIN. Fill it up, and go to work, again after work, water is gone. No apparent spots where it had been leaking out of onto the ground. Get home tonight from work, check it, has water in it(I filled it up before leaving work), let it sit for awhile, while checking to see if it's leaking, and it's not. Go back out after about 30 minutes, water is gone, no leaks on the ground.
Please tell me it's not BHG.....

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts

allways a good time for a photo op :lol:

im thinking about buying a tow truck just so i dont have to push your ass any more :rant:

·
way over budget
664 Posts
does the cooling sustem have nay air in it possibly? maybe it's just burping out that air ind sucking up water to replace it. does the car act like it's got a bhg? smoke, dashboard waterfall, no heater, overheating, yummy milkshake oil...

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha
just get a turbo and then you can just tow me with your supra
because I don't think it'd be able to right now, being NA and all...
:)

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lowbudgettarga said:
does the cooling sustem have nay air in it possibly? maybe it's just burping out that air ind sucking up water to replace it. does the car act like it's got a bhg? smoke, dashboard waterfall, no heater, overheating, yummy milkshake oil...
that's possible...
I hope it doesn't have bhg.
it was smoking a little bit out of the exhaust today when I shifted gears and shit, dashboard waterfall? as far as I know, heater is working fine...
overheating, I don't know, my temp guage doesn't work (go ahead and bash on me in 3, 2, 1...) checked the oil today and it looked fine....

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
no milkshake in his oil we checked that, only white puff's of smoke when shifting that i noticed.

kyle park on your hill tonight and fill your rad up in the morn, prob best thing to do.

·
The WOMANIZER
249 Posts
Ahhh across the street from Walmart on 164th... Did you get your work done buy Joe at quality foreign auto? There is a black mark 3 that always is having work done on it there. Think it has "upgrades".

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Saintdog said:
Ahhh across the street from Walmart on 164th... Did you get your work done buy Joe at quality foreign auto? There is a black mark 3 that always is having work done on it there. Think it has "upgrades".
No I take my car to my friend/former owner of the car Eddie.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
You need to be more systematic with your fixing of the car. Filling it up and then hoping you don't lose coolant is a great way to hose your motor.

Fill it, then run the car and look for leaks. Solve this problem before you ruin the motor.

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
kylefoto said:
I'm grateful heff lives by me, and likes to push my car around so much :)
:1poke: wow, gettin cozy smozy in the hizzzouse!!!! :rofl:

j/k, u should be grateful heffie lives by you, he loves to push cars all over the place! :rofl:
u just make sure he don't break any bones in the process or i'll be extremely mad!
but yah make him sweat those pizzas off!!!

*** 2nd post edited per Mr. Post Consultant's advice:

TheHeffNerr said:
im thinking about buying a tow truck just so i dont have to push your ass any more :rant:
hmmm if u gonna go and buy a tow truck, u might as well come tow my car over there! :sadance:

last post edited per mr. post consultant's advice :rant:

sorry kylefoto, didn't mean to hijack ur thread:
in response to ur wanting to demolish ur vehicle, it's just a feeling of disappointment
at the heat of the moment.
trust me, I get mad at my bf too (my supra) and sometimes
like this last friday he really pissed me off on the way to the FnF3 meet,
I was thinkin Oh man I'm gonna sell u ect ect. but......
when I got to the meet and i saw all the other supras, and I looked at my baby,
there was no way in hell I would be able to ever sell him...
Only way me and him are separating is if I die.... til death do us part.
So chin up buddy, figure out a solution to ur dilemna
and it will all get better. Remember, cars have feelings too. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i'll be the first do bash you out of supra love...so no offense but YOU'RE AN IDIOT. first off its coolant you put in the radiator not water. OF COURSE! you're not going find any leaks anywhere. HELLO...the damn engine gets to thousands of degree's it'll literally evaporate the water leaving no signs of it. how hard it is to replacement cap, to do a compression test, and a radiator pressure test. all the tools you can buy for less then $100.00. if you truely cared about the fellow supra owner that tows you around, you would get that thing fixed the RIGHT way. do you ever think he's helping you because he's just a nice guy and no isnt a choice yet its still damn annoying to do it. come on!

w/o coolant you WILL warp your head. with a warp head comes bhg, now you have to do a gasket job AND replace ur head because you've been rnning wayyyyyy too long w/o coolant. then you'll have rod knock because you're also loosing oil. you are asking for trouble and will spend a lot more money on the aftermath.

remember...this is all out of supra love. best of luck!

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wu_Tang said:
i'll be the first do bash you out of supra love...so no offense but YOU'RE AN IDIOT. first off its coolant you put in the radiator not water. OF COURSE! you're not going find any leaks anywhere. HELLO...the damn engine gets to thousands of degree's it'll literally evaporate the water leaving no signs of it. how hard it is to replacement cap, to do a compression test, and a radiator pressure test. all the tools you can buy for less then $100.00. if you truely cared about the fellow supra owner that tows you around, you would get that thing fixed the RIGHT way. do you ever think he's helping you because he's just a nice guy and no isnt a choice yet its still damn annoying to do it. come on!

w/o coolant you WILL warp your head. with a warp head comes bhg, now you have to do a gasket job AND replace ur head because you've been rnning wayyyyyy too long w/o coolant. then you'll have rod knock because you're also loosing oil. you are asking for trouble and will spend a lot more money on the aftermath.

Well thank you for being such a dick.
First off, it wouldn't make much since if it was evaporating since there is still some in the resivor when I park and shut it off, it isn't till about 30 minutes later that it's gone. Wouldn't it be evaporating while I'm driving since that's when it's most hot?
And also, I'm no way made of money, especially right now since I just put a new engine in it and I owe my parents money for it. Besides, even if I did, I barely know anything about cars (if you couldn't tell already from this?), and wouldn't know the first thing to do for all of that shit you listed.

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Wu_Tang said:

I'm sorry, but the operating temperature of our engines is about 180-200 degrees. The boiling temperature of water is 212 degrees. Therefore, the water won't evaporate and disappear- in fact, that defies the laws of physics. The water closest to high heat will evaporate into a gaseous form (which is invisible to the naked eye, but not gone) and that excess heat will dissipate into the rest of the circulating water, causing the gaseous water to change back to liquid form. Finally, the excess heat will transfer to the surrounding air after flowing through the radiator (or your heater). The reason why we run a mixture of coolant with water is because water does the main job of dissipating heat from the engine while coolant (glycol) prevents rusting and freezing. Water is usually the largest percentage of the mixture, signifying that it's the most important part. It's chemical structure is what gives it that outstanding heat absorbing property.
If coolant is not available, straight water is fine to add, as long as it's done properly (so the block and/or head don't crack/warp from temperature differentials). For example, most race engines use straight water for coolant. We did when we raced at California Speedway last week and temperatures were over 100.
But Kyle, he's right- we gotta find that leak. I sure hope you didn't blow your HG. It might be just a small leak in a hose (hopefully it is). In fact, since your cap is cracked, coolant is probably leaking through that. LMK if you want some help.

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Suprachik8 said:
sorry kylefoto, didn't mean to hijack ur thread:
in response to ur wanting to demolish ur vehicle, it's just a feeling of disappointment
at the heat of the moment.
trust me, I get mad at my bf too (my supra) and sometimes
like this last friday he really pissed me off on the way to the FnF3 meet,
I was thinkin Oh man I'm gonna sell u ect ect. but......
when I got to the meet and i saw all the other supras, and I looked at my baby,
there was no way in hell I would be able to ever sell him...
Only way me and him are separating is if I die.... til death do us part.
So chin up buddy, figure out a solution to ur dilemna
and it will all get better. Remember, cars have feelings too. :)
I must say, that is the most truthful statement I have heard in a while. I've done the same thing. It just comes down to looking at her and thinking how sexy she really is and how many times you've just wanted to give her a huge hug for the great times she provides. Or him, in your case :bigthumb:

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
he did get a new cap so thats no longer an issue.. i thought so at least.

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Well, he said he got one from pull-a-part from a volvo, so the seal is probably not effective anymore, or it doesn't fit perfectly like a factory made cap. If the reservoir still has fluid in it, but the radiator is emptying, then there is no vacuum created through the overflow line, most likely caused by a leak in either the line, the radiator cap, or the reservoir's rubber gasket/cap. Since he got a radiator cap from a volvo and the same symptoms occur, I'm guessing that the cap is not sealing effectively. This would cause the water to boil from pressure loss in the cooling system (which he said happened), then the gaseous water would escape into the atmosphere through the ineffective cap (not showing any signs of coolant loss because it's a gas, not a liquid). The job of the overflow tank is now gone because the water escapes through the cap instead of bypassing into the reservoir, causing the fluid level in the reservoir to stay the same no matter the situation (which also is occurring). This is just how I'm thinking about it- it's easier to diagnose in person, which is why I'd like to come check it out Kyle. Maybe tomorrow, if your available, cause I would be on I-5 in your area around 5PM. Maybe it is something else, but if I were you Kyle, I'd go to Schucks or NAPA or Toyota or someplace and get a brand new cap made specifically for Supras. It's the cheapest guess as of now and if the symptoms stay, then return it if you don't want it (not sure if there's any way of telling if it has been used for 30 minutes max). Let me know, you have my number.

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dj,
you're confusing me with all your god damn science talk, I've never been one for it.
haha.
I think though you're thinking I replaced the radiator cap? or just a typo? it was the coolant tank cap I replaced...
Anyways, come by tomorrow around 5, and we'll check it out and maybe you can give me a hand flushing my system and refilling it with coolant and shit, and replacing the thermostat, i believe it's broken, the top radiator hose was cool enough to touch...
anyways, I'll call you tomorrow, or you call me or something.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
kyle,

Since I'm assuming taking your Supra to a mechanic might not be financially feasible right now, have you researched the symptoms of your car and cooling system on the MKIII forum here? If not, I'd highly recommend it, and I'm sure that you can get some much needed help.

I particularly enjoyed the post above that mentioned our engines getting to "thousands of degrees" in terms of temperature! :wtflol:

Steve T.

·
The Radiator Man
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve Theodore said:
kyle,

Since I'm assuming taking your Supra to a mechanic might not be financially feasible right now, have you researched the symptoms of your car and cooling system on the MKIII forum here? If not, I'd highly recommend it, and I'm sure that you can get some much needed help.

I particularly enjoyed the post above that mentioned our engines getting to "thousands of degrees" in terms of temperature! :wtflol:

Steve T.
I shall try the mkiii forum steve, I just figured I wouldn't get bashed on much here, and like to get local help if I can.

and yes, I was enjoying the comment as well.
bahaha :rofl:

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Wu_Tang said:

Please dont spread information that is nowhere near true... that is all im going to say about that.

Anyways, somebody loan this guy a cooling system pressurizer... i have one around here somewhere, but im kinda far from ya.

That water has to be going somewhere and if it dissappears without even being started then its not going into the motor... its exiting from somewhere, throw a big piece of cardboard under your car when you fill it up... then constatly check it, run it do whatever. Keep us updated...

Tim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.