Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ct26 upgraded (60 Trim, no clip), and it sounded alot like a jet(Rushing Air) when I boosted. Now after installing my 550's and Lex AFM, and raising the boost to 15 psi, it sounds like a diesel(Really high pitch). Is this normal? I really hope it isn't death whine, I mean it hits boost so fast and holds it. I can even loose traction at 60% throttle in 2nd gear. Let me know what you guys think.

Dale

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since i'm running basically no exhaust, my car sounds exactly like a semi. The turbo is extremely loud and does sound high pitched like a diesel. The death whine on my old turbo sounded more like a supercharger. Sounded like a midget was behind my dash going "wooooooooo".

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Forceofwill said:
Since i'm running basically no exhaust, my car sounds exactly like a semi. The turbo is extremely loud and does sound high pitched like a diesel. The death whine on my old turbo sounded more like a supercharger. Sounded like a midget was behind my dash going "wooooooooo".
:lol: reminded me of Bubb Rubb and his MkIII Supra
"the whistles go WOO!"
"woo woo!"
its that WO-WOOOOOO

sorry ;)

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hahaha, well the turbo is high pitch like a semi. DBSupra sent me a couple vid and sound bytes of death whine. Mine doesn't sound like any of them, we thought maybe an exhaust leak pre turbo. I am going to check the main bolts and see if that could be the culprit.

Well I checked most of the mani nuts I could get too, and they were all tight.

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think so, timing is at 12 BTDC, car is running very rich too, and I never use any other fuel but 93 from newer gas stations.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Turn your timing down to 10?

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,275 Posts
any turbo you up the boost on gets a louder pitch noise because the turbine is turning faster you are fine

·
Registered
861 Posts
same here...

Sorry to butt in...I'm hearing new noises from my turbo (stock ct26).
I would love to hear a clip of death whine...can you post it or send it to [email protected]

G

·
It's a bad thing? Haha, kidding, people have asked me if my Supra is a diesal, but that's only because you can hear it over the diesal trucks at my school. =\

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I thought I would share the fix to this problem. I pulled the heatshield off my turbo and removed the intake and IC pipe so I could get to all the turbo/manifold bolts. Shaft play was minimal and spun very freely. I got at least a 1/4 turn out of all the turbo nuts, and the most of a 1/2 turn on some. That seemed to do the trick. I never got a sound clip of it, but basically it sounded like a really high pitch whistle. The car never sounded like it had an exhaust leak there, but I guess it did.

Dale

1 - 12 of 12 Posts