Supra Forums banner

I think I am gonna get a JL W7

3K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  97redbpu 
#1 ·
Has anyone actually heard the W7s in person. I am considering gettin one or two of the 12". Everyone says that they are amazing, just wanted to know if all the hype was true. I currently have 2-15" Solo Baric L7s. Do you think the W7 will be better? I have 2 Fosgate BD1000A1 amps to power them. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
I have finally.. and I say that with a huge "sigh" after the "finally"... received the W7. I have yet to actually install one because they all went to "do it yourselfers".

I will try and let everyone know my impressions.

Thomas Kenyon

Oh yea... I can promise you a W7 will out do a L7. They are not even in the same league.

G
#6 ·
I am getting 3 10" JLW7's in the car I just bought. It's a 3.2 TL so I got the trunk room. The 10" weighs about 40 lbs. it goes for about 450 here. That's the best price I have found so far. It's fucking nuts. They sound unbelievable though. Incredible SPL and clear ass any other sub out there for SQ. IMO it's the best sub out right now.

#7 ·
W7's

Hmm, the W7's. I must say that this is the first JL product that i really like. I heard a pair of them in the JL car at USAC world finals. I must say, they slam and they sound damn good. I was really really impressed. I was trying to decide whether to go with a pair of Orion HCCA's but they have found some new competition with the W7's for me if they are both around the same price.

G
#8 ·
They are definately not in the same price range.

The 10W7 cost me $450

For that much money I could have gotten 2 10" Orion HCCA ($244.95)

The 15" Orion HCCA I can get for $354.99
12" Orion HCCA = $299.95

IMO, you cannot compare the HCCA to the new W7. They are in a league of their own. Incredible SPL and SQ. Do not require alot of volume or amplifier power. But can handle whatever you give them. I am going to be running mine from a Orion XTRPRO 2400 amp. And this might not be enough...

G
#10 ·
Dynamat Extreme. Lot's of sound deadening. All custom fiberglass enclosure.

I doubt I would hit anywhere near the SPL to make the trunk expand. Or by expand do you mean rattle? If that's the case Dynamat will take care of it. It's getting sprayed then a layer of Extreme then a layer of original...

Better safe than sorry.

#13 ·
Tito

I wasnt sure if the 450 you were talking was the retail price on the W7's, thats why i said if they are in the same price range. I have built many boxes that make the HCCA's sound damn good, and slam extremely hard as well. I have not had any personal experience yet with the W7's so i dont know how well they work ported, as ported is a must since i do compete, thats why the HCCA's are so high on my list. Im currently going over the new Cadence line's because all their stuff this year is new. The Wild Beast ( Cadence) on paper looks like they will be very good woofers. The prices you listed on the HCCA's are pretty close to dealer price, where are you going through? If you need any prices on stuff, lemme know, i and some friends of mine run our own business.

G
#14 ·
Cool. But in building the box why not build an ABC box? That way you can switch between sealed and ported. For SPL and SQ...

I remember you mentioned Cadence and I checked out their site. Their amplifiers impressed me. But have you actually heard them? How is their signal? Clear power? They at least look good.

What lines do you carry? I am looking for a good receiver. TV/DVD. Multimedia type of thing.

What look's good to you? Let me know. Thanks.

#15 ·
I am thinking about getting 3 10 inch W7s or 2 12 inch W7s. I want a lot of base that sounds nice and clean. I prefere the three tens but at 40lbs a piece maybe 2 12's would be a little lighter. I don't want to alter the handling of my car too much.

Anyone have any input on this?

thanks,
-pete

G
#16 ·
Lets just say this guys

The... 10......... maby 12...... damn cant remember..
Is 18" deep....
IT IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be mounted onto a box that is ATLEAST 1" thick.. I'd go with about 2 inches personaly. The box has to be bolted to your car.. or it will move.

2 JL W7 10"'s Will out hit just about ANY pair of 12"s on the market.

And you gotta send them atleast 1000 Watts of clean power.. Like the JL 1000/1

This is what I would recomend since from what I was told, is that the W7 (12's atleast) dont fit in most cars........ because of the damn box they have to be in.

I would get a single W7 10, and hook up a 1000/1 JL amp to each Voice Coil.
Right there you will have the Best sounding sub, and 2 of the best Amps around.
With power to spare, and it will slam harder than anyones Dual 12 RockFords or.. anything (hahahahha cant believe people buy those). And if you turn it up.... it will hit harder...

I was told that if you turn up 2 12"ers in a car... up loud............
They hit so hard, that it can shake the entire car into the next lane....... :) I WANT ONE!!!

#21 ·
Sterling said:
Lets just say this guys

And you gotta send them atleast 1000 Watts of clean power.. Like the JL 1000/1

I heard 2 12W7s hooked up to a Rockford 500.1 (they were getting about 200W RMS a piece) and they slammed just fine.

This is what I would recomend since from what I was told, is that the W7 (12's atleast) dont fit in most cars........ because of the damn box they have to be in.

Humm... the 12W7 is going to fit in my Supra just fine.

I would get a single W7 10, and hook up a 1000/1 JL amp to each Voice Coil.

Two problems... max rating on the 10W7 is 500 W. And of course they're single voice coil.

#23 ·
Tito

So far i havent had a single dislike about the new cadence stuff. We have one of their new 4 channel amps (Z4000) running two pairs of Cadence's components in a 32' Baja and it absolutely screams, clear as day. For both subs and amps i really like Cadence, affordable, and put out the wattage that they claim, plus they sound really clear and look good.
As far as what we carry, Cadence, Orion, ADS, Focal, Eclipse, Dynaudio, Audiobahn, PPI, Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, Crossfire, Panasonic, god i cant remember all of it. If you have something in particular you are looking for, give me the model # and i'll look it up for you.

Heres a pic of some W7's in a Lincoln ( i think) at World Finals

G
#25 · (Edited)
Hmmm...

The 10W7 is 8" deep. It DOES NOT weigh 40 lbs. It weighs approximately 25 lbs...

The 12W7 weighs about 40lbs...

I am going to be running three in series. With a ORION XTRPRO 2400 amp. They handle 500 watts continuos...
The amp pushes out 2400 watts at 1 ohm stable...

In a custom FG box. A 10W7 only needs 1.00-1.50 cu.ft. Not much at all...

Also it is a single voive coil. But with a 2.75" single voice coil why would you need another?

I had three 12W6's in my old MKIII and wasn't even happy with that. Was hitting 151 decibels untuned at half volume...

supra_97tt : Looking for either a MAX2256 receiver or a Eclipse 7301. Let me know if you can find them new. I can get them used but I rather a new one for myself...

Also do you carry MMATS?

#26 ·
W7's in the JL car at Finals
Those are not W7's.

W7's do not have the 'traditional' JL logo on the cone/dustcap. They have a small dime sized W7 logo near the edge of the cone. Very clean.

I have heard them and they are everything I was hoping and more. Sure, JL recommends 500 watts for the 12" but can handle much more than that safely.

Hell, I ran 3-10" W3's for over a year with over 1000 watts RMS running to them! For a while even more like 1500+ watts! JL only 'recommends' 250 watts for the W3.

I have heard this straight from the guy who designed that sub.....

"We ran a 12" W7 with a 40hz cycle at 5000 watts RMS (home amp) to test its limit.... it ran for a little over 5 hours"

You will have no problem with the speaker regardless of the power you run to it. I would run a minimum of 500 watts to justify the money spent on the speaker.

I myself would put as much power as I could afford. Too much power is NEVER bad.

Thomas Kenyon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.