Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the shifter out to make maneuvering my dash out easier, and upon reinstallation of the shifter I dropped one of the screws and I heard it hit metal but I can't find it anywhere, and I fear it may have fallen into the shifter hole. I can't see it down there, but I've looked everywhere else for the screw and can't find it. I put the shifter stick back in and it goes from gear to gear no problem, but I am hesitant to start the car now..

Is it even possible for a screw with 10mm head to fall deep into the tranny through the shifter. Should I be scared to run the car?

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
that SUX

I dont know if tryin to flush fluid through it would help maybe remove it or push way down where it makes the tranny go bye bye man that sux

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Wow.. thinking the screw is in your tranny.. you went ahead and buttoned it up.

I would have at least stuck a magnetic finger down there to hopefully fish it out.

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
OMG, dude, oh man. Oh, man, what to say..... Yeah, that sucks. Hopefully you're okay. Can't help you there. I would be waaay too scared to try driving it like that.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
First climb under the car and feel all around the top of the tranny. I dropped on and got lucky and it landed on a hidden outcrop.

Second, if no luck there, get an extendable magnetic grabber.... get one that's not going to come apart either, don't want to go depositing more metal in there.

EDIT: you may also be able to snag it with a magnetic rod through the hole where the speedo drive gear goes in.... I'm not sure what obstructions may be in the way though, but it's on the bottom of the tranny and will give you a larger hole to work through if the screw did fall that far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aljordan said:
Wow.. thinking the screw is in your tranny.. you went ahead and buttoned it up.

I would have at least stuck a magnetic finger down there to hopefully fish it out.

Who said I buttoned it up anyway? Everything came to a dead-stop as soon as this happened, most of my interior is still in my back seat :)

Anyways thanks for the help guys I'm gonna take another look today with a clear head. Wish me luck

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like that's what I'll have to do

I was feeling around under my carpets and I thought I found the screw, I frantically starting removing the carpets and seats and console to get a better view and hopefully retrieve it, but it turned out to be a factory radio knob...how disappointing. Looks like I won't be drifting this weekend :(

·
slow.
1,016 Posts
there is a magnet inside the tranny case. Odds are good that thats where it worked its way to, that is assuming that it didnt beat the hell out of the gears.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That happened to me too. Luckily I was able to react fast enough to grab it before it rolled down the shifter.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I've tried magnets of several shapes and sizes but haven't picked anything up yet. I've lowered the tranny with hopes of trying to undo the 2 forward bolts of the shifter retainer to get a closer look but its still pretty akward.

The wheels or motor haven't turned an inch yet so nothings beaten to hell yet. I'm pulling the extension housing tonight :)

Damnit all this because I decided to fix the heater core on a car that I don't even drive in winter.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Drain, disassemble, find screw, clean, reassemble. It's the only way you're going to be absolutely certain nothing is wandering around in the box where it shouldn't.

Plus it's a nice chance to inspect/rebuild it.

·
Making a ComeBack!
1,054 Posts
Hey bro I this the shifter hole is on the Fork and there is no opening from the fork entering the tranny, You still need to get the screw but the tranny shouldn't be in a danger, get under the car and open the boot under the bottom and look up into the shifter fork feel around ontop of the tranny ect.. The only other opening on the tranny is the plate u open to chk the clutch and that's on the side close to the bottom you can even take that plate off then if the screw fell there once you unscrew it it'll fall out.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
The "shifter hole" is the whole at the top of the tranny where the shifter sits. It definitely goes into the tranny, lol. I'd like to see someone drop a screw into the bellhousing from inside the car. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts