Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i headed to the track the other nite for the first time in the surpa....and ran a best of 2 runs at 14.8 with a 150lb passenger. Shouldnt the time be a good bit faster with 272hp to the wheels? can anyone tell from the timeslip if its my bad driving?:confused:

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
your trap speeds are low, should be over/around 100 with those mods. Your 60 foot isn't great but I would say the low trap is having more of an effect on your times than the 60 foot.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Something surely ain't right. My car only put down 275 to the wheels but still ran a 13.7. Maybe it's because it's an automatic?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something surely ain't right. My car only put down 275 to the wheels but still ran a 13.7. Maybe it's because it's an automatic?

its a 5 speed

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your trap speeds are low, should be over/around 100 with those mods. Your 60 foot isn't great but I would say the low trap is having more of an effect on your times than the 60 foot.

how can i increase my trap speed?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and for what its worth....the car next to me was a WRX that usually runs low 14's. Any possibily the time slips could be off?

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
A short throw shifter and a better clutch would improve both your trap speed and time. Not saying you need a clutch, just offering a little advice.

As far as the slips being off, guess it could be possible, but I'll bet those systems are calibrated regularly, and have to meet specific requirements from NHRA.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The trap speed is really low..

I had over 100mph trap with just a 14.0 run and that was an almost stock supra.

Get some GOOD tires, lower the pressure a little and practice launching to get a 2.0 or lower 60' time.

·
MUDKIP FARMER
2,709 Posts
Was the track really hot or humid? Either of those could heat-soak the engine causing lower traps.

Trap speed basically shows the top end power you put down, there are other variables but the main consideration is sheer power.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i ran a 14.89 @ 92 with a bhg running on 5 cylinders even with a full tank of gas!

'87 7mge with a ct26 turbo put on an hour before the track running leaner then crap at 5.5psi
no mods at all

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i was trying to shift around 5400 because thats where my dyno sheet showed i stopped making power.....but i shifted a little bit late i think and fumbled around for a brief second gettin into 3rd...when i crossed the end of the quarter mile it was at 6k in 3rd gear.

and as far as temp...it was a cool nite but the staging area had a huge line and we had to keep starting our cars and shutting them off to move them so the engine temp was pretty high...couldnt push them because the staging lanes are up hill..

the tires are toyo proxes and got a ton of grip...i launched at 3k rpm with only minimal wheelspin but im sure my technique leaves much to be desired.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
u need to shift so that your at the highest powerpoint in the NEXT gear.... not shift when your power peaks

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
on a stock ct I shifted ~ 5700.. above that the car would go slower..

Seems low for 270 to the wheels.. fwiw.. I put down 256whp and went 100mph..

get the 60' lower and the times will drop.. i've gone 14.33 at 95 mph..

·
Dont question the good Dr
474 Posts
Launching at 3k? You also have a 2.3x 60ft time. Getting a good dig out of the hole and getting through the 330 clean has more impact than anything on a good 1/4 mile time. Work on your shifting also. I can see in your time slip that you lost at least a good second on shifting.

Compare your 1000ft and your 1/4 time. It should not take you 2 seconds to travel under 400ft when your approaching your top trap speed.

If at all possible, use dry ice or those blue plastic freezable lunch box blocks to keep your engine bay cool in the staging lines. Keep your hood open, let air flow get in there. Pack your intercooler front and back with ice/blue blocks. When you launch, try launching at a lower RPM and feed it clutch out of the hole until you feel the car hook. You should be able to get consistent 1.8-2.0 60ft's on street tires.

Practice makes perfect :)

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
next time, dont run the 1320 with a passenger! 150 lbs. is alot of added weight to an already heavy ass car. anywayz, try shifting at around 5700 or 6000 RPM's. that way the RPM's wont drop as much in between shifts and still be around your powerband.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the input guys...i think heat soak and some poor shifting/slow 60ft had alot to do with it.....thats ok the WRX guy has alot of explaining to do why his 60ft time is worse than a MK3 ...hahaha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts