Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, after having my supra since 2000, many mods later, including 60-1 Turbonetics, and overboosting for years, I think my headgasket is starting to give me problems... Im at 213,000 miles and am getting an oil residue in my coolant overflow.

I dont think that I am leaking into the cylinders, just between an oil passage and coolant passage. Can anyone confirm that this is possible?

If so... would it be possible to correct, or delay worsening of it by retorquing the head?

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
wow 213,000 miles?

lol just for the shear fact it lasted that long is an accomplishment!

You need a leakdown test to confirm anything. My opinion, with the amount of miles. Pull it and check as I lost my motor at 225,000 miles with a spun #2 bearing.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yeah, with that many miles, might as well pull it, and do a complete engine rebuild...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm

I was kinda hoping for the possibilty for a quick fix/holdover.

I know the HG will need to be fixed if its leaking, problem is that my supra is my Daily Driver :-x It has been ever since high school.

Maybe, if I can get it to last me a few more months I can get a new car in the meantime, i just need to save some cash first. I dont really have the cash on hand for a complete rebuild at the time either.

So I either need to hold it off for a few months, band-aid it for the time, or possibly re-torque the head - if it would help for time reasons.

Does anyone know how long this symptom can last before its gets too bad to drive? There is a pretty good residue in there, however, its not standing or floating (the oil). Just build-up along the sides and the hose that sticks into it.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
never hurt to try a re-torque. Are you on stock head gasket or has it ever been replaced or re-torqued that you know of?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hg

Headgasket was replaced @ 84,000 miles, I assume its a Fel-Pro or factory replacement... It was replaced before I purchased the car...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Headgasket was replaced @ 84,000 miles, I assume its a Fel-Pro or factory replacement... It was replaced before I purchased the car...
wow theres alot of miles on that gasket....for a bandaid...id try retorquing them and you can always add some of that barrs leak additive for headgaskets. Ive heard of people having some luck with it as a bandaid.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow theres alot of miles on that gasket....for a bandaid...id try retorquing them and you can always add some of that barrs leak additive for headgaskets. Ive heard of people having some luck with it as a bandaid.
Is this something that can be picked up at autozone/O'Reiley's?

Are there any negatives to adding this?

Ill prolly try to re-torque the HG this weekend or the next. Then adding some of the Barr's stuff your talking about after seeing if re-torquing helped.

·
Registered
184 Posts
theres no real drawback to using it...other than it is what it is...a bandaid.....if you pull the motor and rebuilt eventually id flush out the cooling system just to get it all back outta there to be safe.

yeah should be able to get it at any autoparts store....just make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY or it wont work.....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
that bar's leak stuff will clog your coolant passages...

·
Registered
184 Posts
that bar's leak stuff will clog your coolant passages...
i work at a car dealer...and put it in alot of shit they were jus tryin to dump off at the auction...never had a problem...you dont really have anything to lose at this point

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
well, if he's going to rebuild the engine, it wouldn't be wise to screw it up...

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
if the engine's compression is still good, then just try to re-torque. OR, just replace it with a new composite HG (Fel-pro Permatorque or the stock Toyota HG) and replace all of the remaining gaskets & seals as well. but anywayz, it is most likely that the HG is toasted.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Yeah- what they said.
Retorque first, it'll only take 10 minutes to get at the headbolts.
After that many miles, it's not uncommon for the bolt(especially exhaust side) to loosen up as much as 10 ft-lbs. Also, I fit was originally at 52-58 ft-lbs, it DEFINATELY should be retorqued, to closer to 65-72 ft-lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts