Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ok.
I have lived in a small town on vancouver island, and im done high school and my first year of automotive school.
im really sick of livin here and theres nothing here for me anymore. i wana move to vancouver or somewhere around there but im not sure where i would go.
is there many shops lookin for apprentises??? and how hard is it to find a good payin job there that doesnt suck ass?
im realy considering movin so your opinions would be usefull
thanks.
harry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Vancouver

Well, it's quite a different life style from Coombs to Vancity, I'll tell you that much ;)

I've spent most of my days in Victoria, but done plenty of travelling and experienced some of the larger cities in the world (Tokyo, Toronto, LA ...) and Vancouver is just "different". I worked downtown area, and lived in Burnaby for a while and the commute sucks ass. Housing was rediculous almost everywhere (somewhat OK in New West / Surrey) but, there are plenty of things to do :) If you like Hockey, Skiing, Cars, Clubs, Food ... you name it, Vancouver has it.

So I guess what you need to find out first is where jobs are available and go from there. Take a couple days, pound the pavement and make some calls. Any family connections would help :)

I guess what I'm saying is, find a job first, then worry about a place to stay. Check out craiglist, vancouver papers, and job boards.

GL with life :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. thanks.
im just sick of livin here and i wana go where theres work. but i dont wana be toooo far from home.. but i dont really know any one in vancouver area, my buddy lives in banff and he said i could live with him till i get a job in Calgary, then move there on my own... im still not sure yet tho.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As a first year apprentice you'll probably only make about $12 starting off. Thats what it was like for me anyways... Thats not really much money if you plan on staying in van somewhere, not unless you got some coin saved up.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Can you weld/ fabricate?, I might need some help. Probably not full time though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you just want to get away for awhile, just show up in Lake Louise (30min drive from Banff). You will have a job within a couple of days as long as your capable. Shitty work there mostly but everywhere is always looking for people, so easy to find work. Lake Louise is like never never land for young adults. Banff is pretty similar, but more like a normal town and easier to maintain a normal life there. LL is a total party town. Theres more pubs then grocery stores there lol.

Theres a huge demand for mechanics in the lower mainland but like Carter said it can be tight at first starting out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you weld/ fabricate?, I might need some help. Probably not full time though.

iv done 4 years in high school. have done quite a bit, im allrigth but no meens a fabricater.

Yea i have only driven past LL didnt realy see much from the hwy. but banff is a total tourist town with like 5 Pubs lol, and pritty much only one shop.. the petrocan lol

·
Registered
941 Posts
Banff? Nah, its got a full downtown section with tons of shops, mostly tourist stuff though. They do have a couple real grocery stores and a hardware store and such. People actually have houses there and theres schools and such, theres pretty much only appartment and town house complexes for staff working at the hotels, pubs and tourist shops in LL.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to move to vancouver...Vancouver island > vancouver in every way - at least when I was there(although tswassen & richmond seemed nice...but expensive)

I'd say choose between victoria/nanaimo and then out to the interior...salmon arm, kamloops, kelowna...All those places were pretty nice and seemed to have a fair bit going on

Also, easiest way to get an apprenticeship is to take a pre-apprenticeship first, or a program at college....Trades are in demand, but as with everything...Employers always want some sort of education now

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having lived in Victoria most of my life, there is really only 1 thing that Vic needs: Main Events like Concerts/Hockey etc. Other than that, you're not missing anything ;)

Like mc_h said, trades are in high demand all over BC. Just gotta pound the pavement.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Vic is very nice, but I really enjoy living out on the outskirts of the lower mainland. I would consider living on the island again (used to live in Nanaimo) if there was a bridge, but the ferries are just too expensive and a pita to deal with. Where I am now (Mission), I can dip into Van to take advantage of the work, specialzed shops, industry, car community, racing etc any day of the week, yet on weekends I can blitz out to anywhere without paying up the ass in ferry fare (they just raised fares again a couple weeks ago, yay). Kelowna, Kamloops, Cache Creek, Seattle, Whistler, Vancouver, Manning Park, etc are all within a few hours from me. Just went up to Pembeton and Lillouette this weekend, it was 42 degreess up there! Anyways the island is very nice, but I find it a little too isolated living there especially if you like to travel and go places.

The interior is nice too but they don't have all the things a big city can offer and they don't have our temperate climate (whats snow?).

·
Registered
927 Posts
SupraFiend said:
Vic is very nice, but I really enjoy living out on the outskirts of the lower mainland. I would consider living on the island again (used to live in Nanaimo) if there was a bridge, but the ferries are just too expensive and a pita to deal with. Where I am now (Mission), I can dip into Van to take advantage of the work, specialzed shops, industry, car community, racing etc any day of the week, yet on weekends I can blitz out to anywhere without paying up the ass in ferry fare (they just raised fares again a couple weeks ago, yay). Kelowna, Kamloops, Cache Creek, Seattle, Whistler, Vancouver, Manning Park, etc are all within a few hours from me. Just went up to Pembeton and Lillouette this weekend, it was 42 degreess up there! Anyways the island is very nice, but I find it a little limiting living there if you like to travel and go places.

The interior is nice too but they don't have all the things a big city can offer and they don't have our temperate climate (whats snow?).
I agree on the ferry part...I think it was like 60 bucks each way with a car, absolutely ridiculous...A bridge would make alot of sense but I guess the cost is just too much - That and it IS kind of cool being out on an island that isn't connected to the mainland...It has it's own laid back lifestyle there which is why I liked it over vancouver - All big cities you have to deal with the same BS in the end

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
yea thats why i dont go very many places, 60 bucks one was it a but load of money just to get off the island. if i do decide to move ill probly end up sleepin in the poopra for a cupple days till i found a job. but it would be worth it i just need out of here and to get goin on my life.
last i heard there was rumer of a bridge... mayby i was dreaming i donno haha

oh, kinda got a problem. My Sup has no cats, egr, and no charcole canister... that would be a problem wouldnt it?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yeah. You'll fail without cats, easy and cheap enough to add. Lordco sells magnaflow high flow stainless ones in 3 inch for really cheap, around 100 bucks for most people. Just add the charcol cannister back and run really good mohawk gas and you should be good for aircare. You can get away with leaving the car under your current insurance for awhile, you wouldn't need to aircare till you have to renew.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The stock cat fits up nicely on my 3" setup. So if/when I have to air care, shouldn't be a problem to rip out the test pipe and put in a cat.

G

·
I've lived in small town BC and made the move to Victoria, then to Vancouver, and back to Victoria (finishing school.)

Vancouver is great -- out of the large cities I've visited, it is probably the cleanest, safest (east hastings notwithstanding) and affordable of the cities.

Keep in mind the unemployment rate in vancouver hovers around 4.5-5.5% -- compared to 7.5-9.0% in Cooms-North Island... prospects of getting a job are a little higher, providing you have some work experience, a good attitude and are professional in appearance and demeanor.

Just find a motel or something online to crash for 4-5 days and hit the pavement with resume's... I'm sure you'll find something.

Also, don't be too scared about the rent being higher, because - generally speaking - the jobs pay 10-20% higher than in small towns, which usually makes up for it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a blast... it can be a bit harder to meet in people in a big city, but you'll have endless things to do and a lot of opportunity.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cool thanks for the info garret.
i was lookin onlone for some places lookin for roommates for like 450 a month... that sounds kinda low but im not 100% on what the expectations are for living there. but i will get around to handing out alot of resumes durin suprafest.

G

·
most apartments targeted for our age group and income levels seem to range from $700-1 000 per month. Basement suites are usually about 10-15% cheaper, however... you have less rights in a basement suite, less lighting, and usually less security (since you're on the ground floor.)

Your best bet is trying to find a roomate -- the best suggestion is to probably check around the university/college campuses, since most students are pretty decent people to live with...

You may want to just find a cheap apartment ($700'ish) a month for 6 months or a year until you can find someone you trust to move in with... depends on your finances, job and feelings about having a roomate.

Expect to pay $450-550 a month to split a twobedroom with a roomate -- this will be a decent place.

Vancouver's a beautiful city, the only spot you should really try to avoid is the downtown eastside. But don't be fooled -- East Vancouver that is NOT downtown is very nice, becoming increasingly trendy, and has very reasonable rent rates.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca and
http://www.monster.ca are good places to look....

I lived 10th & Granville area (south granville) and it was BEAUTIFUL, trendy and very clean/safe... I paid $775 for a bachelor apartment with a view. I miss that place :(

Good luck!

GC

1 - 20 of 24 Posts