Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I vote that someone purchases the SS catback and makes a sound clip of it, so I may hear it. All in favor?
oh, I'd buy it...but I'm sorta borderline broke. If my dad wants to buy me a nice christmas present, I will do this myself, but until then....lets hear it.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
The WHAT?:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Here's a thought. Why don't you just email the company who makes it? I mean I'm sure if he is trying to sell something custom like that, he will have a sound clip of it. And with that cheap of a price, do you really think it's going to be that good of quality?

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
C'mon Trent. That kit is good, for the money .. but I would rather get a custom kit. The better question is "What does the muffler sound like?". The muffler is the only thing giving distinct sound .. combined with 7m engine noise. Most Magnaflow mufflers w/7m ... idle quitely with a touch of low/deep tone (you almost can't hear it idle .. but when you get behind it you hear a low rumble) ... rev smoothly with a more loud low/deep tone (still not too loud though) ... are overcome by turbo spool noise upon hard acceleration (like most any muffler on a turbo car) ... rumble well low/deep tone on decel ... look good. I have a Magnaflow muffler with 2.5inch aluminized exh right now .... I love the sound and the look ... but I need something larger and I will be going with something a bit louder. That's about all I could describe it as.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
:agreed:
Thats the best discription I have ever head of my muffler! It sounds EXACLTY like that. And I love the sound! I get comments from people all the time, "man, that exhaust sounds good" "I wish my car sounded like that" "that is so smooth sounding" "why does your car blow out smoke when you start it" uh nm, that last ones from somethin else:p

BTW I have a 3 inch inlet magnaflow boomer muffler, with a 4 inch tip. all stainless steel, and VERY shiny.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I wasn't trying to make it sound like it is bad. I haven't seen it or heard it, so I can't say or make even an educated guess really. What I can say is with as many exhausts as I have seen come and go on my personal car as well as the countless exhausts we have in inventory for every car imaginable, the good quality and best stuff is not going to be 270 bucks. I'm in no way trying to say it's bad, but I wouldn't personally have something like that on my car. I had something similar at one point and there is a reason it is now in the city dump. The quality and build of it wasn't good and it wore out real quick. Again, I didn't mean to make it sound like it's a piece of crap, but I'm skeptical.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
I wouldn't install it either .. but that's just because I am really picky. I'll bet it's a great cat-back though. Aluminized mild steel is good (not the best .. but good).. and this is heat coated and that Magnaflow muffler (like most any Magnaflow muffler) is a great muffler. It's not like the metal/muffler is going to fall apart or anything. It will do it's job .. and it will do it's job well. If you don't like it for some picky/particular reason(s) (like me) then that's all good ... select something else. BUT ...it will do what it was made to do, well ... I am sure. **I have not seen the product in person nor do I know of any experiences with install .. but this is what I believe from my glance at it .. and from Jeff's rep ... I would say it is common sense to assume this.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,992 Posts
Personally Trent I think you are a great guy but it seems to me you like downing s/s for some reason. Be better than that!

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
I've got a custom built with a Magnaflow and it sounds great especially at WOT, my only complaint is that I did not install a resonator and during normal cruising there is an annoying drone at some rpms, so imo go with a system that includes a resonator

·
Registered
343 Posts
agree with qwikstrike

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine sounds fine

I've got that exact same muffler #14828 w/o a resignator and it sounds great, I see no reason to go with a resignator. It barely drones at all, yah if I switch gears at 1500rpms it will drone a little but other than that it sounds awesome!! nice and deep at idle, can barely hear it on the freeway, and you should hear it at WOT!!! I love my magnaflow!!:D

No I'm not an Andretti

·
anti-hardtopper#1
407 Posts
Im thinking about buying the ss cat backw/o the magnaflow, and i found a nur spec muffler on ebay off an evo (thats what they say) it is 3 inch inlet and 5inch outlet. I will post a sound clip when i can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Corksport makes a corksport exhaust for around this price for rx-7's. My friend bought it a while back and slapped it on his turbo II and it sounds wonderful. It made me jelous that rx-7s have that kind of aftermarket to where a custom exhaust can be made for that cheap. Now that SS is making an exhaust, I would feel comfortable buying it becuase I know it can be made good for 300 bucks.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
I'm not downing or looking down on that in anyway. If it came across that way to some of you, that is not what was meant.

What I am trying to say is I'm skeptical about something so inexpensive. Not to say that inexpensive = bad quality, but usually when someone goes ahead and spends a little more for a little better product, the benefits are better. I'm sure this exhaust will be good for those wanting to make moderate power and I'm sure it appeals to many of you price wise.

I'm just being skeptical. Take my remarks as you wish. I know how what I said and what context I meant it in. For those of you that think I'm coming down on the company making this, I'm sorry you feel that way.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
AWIDESUPIE said:
The better question is "What does the muffler sound like?". The muffler is the only thing giving distinct sound .. combined with 7m engine noise.
Not true. Piping design will change the sound -- different angles of bends, different diameters of piping, and the location of the muffler -- they will all change the sound of the exhaust. If someone had the time/money they could design an exhaust system with just the right number of bends at just the right locations to "muffle" the exhaust note without a traditional muffler.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I can see how people could be a little sceptical, but wt do u think ur gettin with any other exhaust. Ur mainly payin just for the brand name. Nothin more than madrel bent pipe and a can. How much do u think it takes to manufacture any of the other costly exhausts? Maybe 200 bucks, if that. With SS ur gettin a deal from actual supra owners, not corprate stiffs. I know im gona go with SS mainly cause I can customize it and im not too big on cash right now :biggrin:. But of course this is all my opinion, other people may think differently :)

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Oh I definitely agree that with a lot of the exhausts you are going to be paying for a name. With that in mind, when I first got to MVP I did a little "test" of sort.

I laid out the HKS, Greddy, Tanabe, Blitz, and RT catbacks all next to each other. Measured angles, diameters, diameters through those angles, diameters in and out of the resonator (if applicable) and diamter going into the canister. You would be surprised at some of the measurements and some of the results that I found. Because of this information, this is why I chose to go with the exhaust i have now.

SS is not the only place you are dealing with Supra owners ladmo. I hope you understand that. I'm here 8-10 hours a day and then on teh computer at home 5-7 hours each night helping people out further. Call it what you will or corporate stiff is you want, but why don't you try getting ahold of some of the other Supra companies out there at 2am if you have a question. In a given day, there is only about 5 hours that I am not reachable. Who else does that for ya? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts