Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want one of these so bad (cheap electric supercar)

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Performance Specs

The Tesla Roadster’s specs illustrate what it does (0 to 60 in about 4 seconds) — as well as what it doesn’t (zero emissions, zero motor oil). With one moving part in the motor, no clutch, and two gears, it’s not only a joy to drive, but to own as well. There is no motor oil to change; no filters, belts, or spark plugs to replace; no oxygen sensors to mistrust before an emissions test — in fact, no emissions test required ever. Other than inspection, the only service we recommend for the first 100,000 miles is brake and tire service.
Tesla Roadster Specifications*
Style 2-seat, open-top, rear-drive roadster
Drivetrain Electric motor with 2-speed electric-shift manual transmission with integral differential
Motor 3-phase, 4-pole electric motor, 248hp peak (185kW), redline 13,500 rpm, regenerative "engine braking"
Chassis Bonded extruded aluminum with 4-wheel wishbone suspension
Brakes 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS
Acceleration 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds
Top Speed Over 130 mph
Range 250 miles EPA highway
Battery Life Useful battery life in excess of 100,000 miles
Energy Storage System Custom microprocessor-controlled lithium-ion battery pack
Full Charge As short as 3.5 hours

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Great looking car and great engineering, but i just dont know about an all electric motor. If it has peak torque at 0rpms, then wouldnt feel like its not pulling anymore, it would just be weird. And no engine noise would be weird too. And i wonder how much they sell for.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they're priced at $80,000... Go see "Who Killed The Electric Car" then get back to me on your thoughts :D

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
i mean the Tesla is really just an electric Elise. its definately cool alternative to a fuel burning car and it gets crazy mileage and its a interesting show piece - but I dunno, part of the life of a sports car to me is the sound and the feel of a fuel burning engine. Although I am sure its a blast to drive being an Elise essentially, echoic satisfaction is just as important in the expierence of a sports car to me.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me it would be worth losing the sound of an ICE with a decent exhaust tone.

I'm basically interested in whatever gives me the ability to tell OPEC to piss off :D

·
Finally single
1,123 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
i mean the Tesla is really just an electric Elise. its definately cool alternative to a fuel burning car and it gets crazy mileage and its a interesting show piece - but I dunno, part of the life of a sports car to me is the sound and the feel of a fuel burning engine. Although I am sure its a blast to drive being an Elise essentially, echoic satisfaction is just as important in the expierence of a sports car to me.
Hit the nail on the head Wob, it just wouldnt be as thrilling and fun to drive as a sports car with an internal combustion engine. The sounds, the smell, and just the feel of how it makes its power is what adds a lot to the driving experience.

When i looked at the pics, i was like that thing looks just like an elise. LOL

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll admit I just have a very strong hatred for the oil industry.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,267 Posts
:nuts: umm, can't take it for a good cruise though??? 4 hours into a coastal drive or a trip to LA and your waiting 3+ hours for a recharge.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
More pics and a video http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/tesla-roadster-pictures-and-video#more-3296

Well I never even drive my Supra for 4 hours so not much difference there. I usually don't drive more than 20 miles in a day. Anyways 200 miles is farther than any pure electric car released before.

And Wob I know exactly what you mean. I think this company is buying Elise chassis then dropping in their drivetrain and changing the front body panels a tiny bit.

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
That car is a glimpse of the future right there. :bigthumb:

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
davidX said:
And Wob I know exactly what you mean. I think this company is buying Elise chassis then dropping in their drivetrain and changing the front body panels a tiny bit.

That's exactly what they're doing...they buy them right from the factory.

Reviews of it say that the torque on it is unbelieveable...it just pulls and pulls and squishes your organs into your spine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mr. Wob said:
I thinkyou would change you mind if you drove it... That thing is bad ass..

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
This is exactly the technology I'm working on at the moment. The huge factor that makes electric motors this expensive (those that value light weight and a compact fit, at least) is the magnetic material used inside the motors. Incredibly rare earth metals with a high permeability are what allows this to happen. When you have a metal that responds incredibly high in terms of magnetization to an applied magnetic field, All that bullshit you took in your second installment of college physics, employed here.

If the permeability of your every day squirrel-cage motor steel (though not necessarily limited to steel by any means) is 870 x 10^-6 N/A^2, consider the immense benefits of using a material such as a nickel-iron alloy with the permeability rating of over 28 times this. This is pretty much what is desired in a compact, high-powered motor setup. Take your every-day 3 phase AC induction motors, apply your voltages to the three seperate phases, and your incredibly permeable surroundings create a hardcore magnetic field so the armature inside your motor will fling the FUCK out of itself at an incredibly faster rate due to it's succeptibility to magnetism.

Molybdenum is a big player in these materials as well. A HUGE portion of this (50%+) is mined in the U.S., by U.S. corporations (Phelps, etc.) so remember that next time you're pissy about the slow progress in terms of performance that hybrid vehicles are taking the time to become. Cause the molybdenum is over HERE. =)

Anyways, I'm willing to bet these motors are either made by Solren (previously Solectria), PreMag, or perhaps UniqueMobility? UniqueMobility is pretty liberal about the materials they use, and you could probably look it up and get the specific magnetic characteristics of the material if you wanted.

I'm currently working with PreMag and Solectria motors. The PreMag motors weigh 45 pounds and produce 130+ HP each. These are probably the head of the game right now, as is their pricetag (roughly $125,000 (we've got 3 of them at the garage)). This is why I was surprised by decent $80,000 pricetag of this entire car. Not bad at all. I'm sure it uses a bulkier motor, though.

It's a really really REALLY interesting field to be working in. Electricity is far more fierce and scary than the combustion of liquid, so I anxiously await to see what sports cars in this area have yet to become. =)

Richard

Pics:

PreMag 'ThinMotor' with PreMag Palmverter (inverter + motor controller)
$150,000+ ?

2006 Chevy Equinox LT AWD + 336V Cobasys battery + Ballard electric motor.
Vehicle is missing the huge Quantum hydrogen gas tank, though. ;)

Test subjects for our motors/controllers. =)

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Just thought about it and sorta realized I semi-hijacked the thread. I was trying to stay on topic, though. Any moderators feel free to delete.

·
Registered
4 Posts
in the faqs
Where is the car made?
Components and subsystems for the car come from a variety of sources all over the world. Final assembly for the Tesla Roadster is at the Lotus factory in the UK

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My deleted post was saying that it explains it if you check the site. I figured someone else would point it out too :)
haha49 said:
in the faqs
Where is the car made?
Components and subsystems for the car come from a variety of sources all over the world. Final assembly for the Tesla Roadster is at the Lotus factory in the UK

·
Professional Troll
586 Posts
No emission my ass, the power plant that generates the electricity makes tonnes of pollution, just because the exhaust dosen't come out of the car does not mean they don't exist.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
haha49 said:
in the faqs
Where is the car made?

didnt we cover this back in post #4? :lol:

:sadance:

·
THE Computer DR.
332 Posts
Mazinger said:
No emission my ass, the power plant that generates the electricity makes tonnes of pollution, just because the exhaust dosen't come out of the car does not mean they don't exist.
:werdlol:

I never could figure out why everyone was sooooooo excited about electric vehicles. Just think if even a fourth of the world bought electric cars. I can't imagine electric companies could keep up with the load, not to mention all the pollution from the power plant (coal or nuclear).

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've had Green Mountain Energy for 2 years and I'm on the "%100 Renewable non fossil fuel burning" plan, whatever the hell it's called. So your statement is absolutely worthless.
Mazinger said:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts