Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aaarghh! IC pipe blew off then strange CELs??

I just recently went single. Yesterday I picked up the car from the guy who did my exhaust fabrication. As the IC piping was temporary, I drove it quite carefully until I turned into my road. I floored it and a pipe connection blew. I coasted into my driveway and decided to fix it in the morning. I fixed it no problem but then the car would not start. I pulled the EFI fuses and disconnected the battery to reset the ECU (stock). She then started hesitatingly and gradually picked up so that I could drive. However, I now have the TRAC OFF light and a check engine light on. The diagnostic on the CEL says that it's to do with the coolant sensor system. That makes no sense to me. What's is going on? Anyone else had this problem? Not sure what to do now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
clear the code and see if it happens again, then i would start worrying about what it could be.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It gets worse. Last night I left the battery disconnected. This morning it wouldn't start again. It was almost catching but just not quite making it. What on earth is going on?

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
when you disconnect the battery, touch the positive and negative leads together for a few seconds, it will drain the capacitor in the ecu and make sure that it has reset everything, it will be like starting it up for the first time. if it is still acting funny its not a problem in the ecu itself

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I did the battery thing and it wouldn't start. Almost but not quite. I then disconnected the MAF and it started right up, presumably in ECU 'limp mode' 'cos it was really rough with black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I switched off and reconnected the MAF. It started up and ran more smoothly than w/o the MAF connected but still not how it should and with those damn TRAC OFF and ECL back on again. Does this help diagnose the problem in any way? Thanks.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
have you done the simple spark and fuel testing? first check to see if you have spark, pull just one coil with the spark plug in it and ground the plug to the head, if it jumps the gap you have spark. after you test that, smell in the same cylinder and see if you can smell fuel. if you can then you have both spark and fuel in which case it should start and run. if you are missing either you need to check each circuit and fix accordingly. this is just a start, you will find the problem sooner or later

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Kwiktoy said:
Ok, so I did the battery thing and it wouldn't start. Almost but not quite. I then disconnected the MAF and it started right up, presumably in ECU 'limp mode' 'cos it was really rough with black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I switched off and reconnected the MAF. It started up and ran more smoothly than w/o the MAF connected but still not how it should and with those damn TRAC OFF and ECL back on again. Does this help diagnose the problem in any way? Thanks.
That sounds like it was still in limp mode. You probably need to clean or replace your plugs. And double check for boost leaks. You may not have found all.
Does your boost controller have a learn mode? If so, it needs to re-learn after fixing any problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts