Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5M...that's MKII, right? I still get really confused on that...

ANyways....

Okay...now I haven't started all my research into the MKII yet, I've just recenty abandoned the 1jz idea and started minding a 7m-GTE possabillity. I don't know how this would work but I'm looking for your ideas and reasons why it would/n't.

I've basically gotta pull the engine in the MKII just to change the starter...which needs doing (I know it's not THAT difficult but it's going to be a pita). I'm considering dropping in my 7m-GE and tranny.

Now here's the thing. I want to use the MKII management. I'm looking to drop the 7m longblock in and swap the sensors that I can and just try to get it to work with the MKII ECU.

This is just an idea...I have a lot of details worked out...but before I really take the time to get into it here I'd like some opinions.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The MKII w58 will bolt up to any M-block. The 7mge -> MKII with 5m electronics has been done. It's alot more work/expense than a 6mge to gain ~10hp... IIRC, there is a guy in AZ who has a 7mge/5m ECU MKII... I think he was having some problems with the way it ran. I can't recall his name but he's on celicasupra.com

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to hit them up...it's just something I'm thinking of trying because most of what I'm seeing as improvements on the 7m are mechanical...piston changes, intake design, etc., etc.

A lot more work? I figured it would simplify it greatly to di this but I don't know...

And for reference's sake, Wade, could you tell me which cars were 5m and which were 6m? What were MKI's?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
hehe, well the 6m was JDM only (Chaser, Soarer, etc...). A 6m is exactly the same as a 5m only it has 3.0Ls of displacement and no EGR. You can get a 6m from a importer (check the Yellowpages). The biggest problem with the 7mge would be some of the electronics. I don't think the 5mge distributer will work on the 5m, for example. And the 7mge distributer has a different kind of electronic plugin, square as opposed to round on the 5m.

You could do all the work and end up with a 200hp 7mge MKII or you could turbo your 5m and make 270hp and a shitload more torque.;)

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but turboing the 5m would be costly I assume. Or is the 5m on of those engine you can just stick a turbo on and go?

My current plans are converting my NA MKIII to a 7m-GTE and dropping the 7m-GE into the MKII. Turboing the MKII has not been considered so I haven't researched that at all...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn wade...that's pretty cool. I may opt to go that route instead of turbo-ing my MKIII. How does the MKII ECU react under boost? I know the 7m-GTE ECU likes to go fubar when you raise the boost more than 4 or 5 psi...

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Timmah20 said:
6m is a 5m with a 7m head

damn mak
Not really... The 6M is still only 2 valves / cylinder I believe. I think the 6M is closest to being a 7M block with a 5M head, considering the 7M uses the 6M crank (3.0L), and the 5/6/7M blocks are all very similar.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
makenzie71 said:
damn wade...that's pretty cool. I may opt to go that route instead of turbo-ing my MKIII. How does the MKII ECU react under boost? I know the 7m-GTE ECU likes to go fubar when you raise the boost more than 4 or 5 psi...
The 7mgte was ment for boost the 5m/6m's were not.
Well, from what I've heard/read they respond alright well proper fuel and timing. I just got my 6mgte up and running but haven't been into it much yet.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what I meant back there was I that the 7m-GE ECU didn't take to boost too well...

Your cars kick ass Wade.

What I think I might do is this...I can get a JDM 7m-GTE long blcok (manifolds, injectors, accessories, turbo, etc.) for $1030+shipping from www.enginewholesalers.com . Drop the 7m-GTE into my MKII and hook up all the 5m sensors and electrics I need to (can GTE injectors work with the 5m ECU?). By this time I should have a couple VG30DETT intercoolers lying around, I can utilyze one or both of those along side a MKIV style plenum (custom sheetmetal, though). Use a piggyback fuel controller amongst a few other gadgets and see if it'll work. If it doesn't...stand-alone.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Thanks man.

The 5m wire harness will not work with the 7mgte head, sensors and electronics. The 5m on 7mge, has some similarities but the plugs on the 5mge harness will not plug into the plugs on the 7mge. A custom harness might be required to make it run like the MKII -> 7mgte swap...

Just get some 295cc injectors from a 7mge for fuel but you will have to splice the clips. The 6mgte is supposed to be up to 13psi boost safe with those injectors. Right now my 6mgte is at 9psi and it scoots like a mother, pig rich too. :) Just a few AFM mods are needed to lean it out a bit. Some people are using the MSD boost retard because of the ECU...

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so I can't make it a direct plug and play...might make it hard. I hope all the sensors use the same voltages between the 5m and 7m, if so then splicing 7m sensors and connectors to the 5m harness will not be difficult at all.

You 6m-GTE, are you running it on a 5m-GE ECU?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yikes. Splicing 7m sensors into the 5m harness wont work. I mean you could attempt it but in the end you will need the 7mge ECU. And if you need the 7mge ECU then you might as well get the harness. The right way is to use the harness that's for the correct for the engine.

Yea, I gots the 6m motor, 5mge ECU/harness/7mge 295s. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts