Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Is this even feasable?

I was thinking about a sub box, but I really don't wanna spend that much money on it.....and I wanna use the space allotted to the factory box

What if I took the top off the factory box, and replaced it with a piece of particleboard/plywood with 2 holes for 2 6" subs....I could seal it with silicone or whatever to create a seal between the new top and the old box.

Also, what are those two hoses (1 on either side) that loop through the top of the sub box? Is cutting the top of the sub box the only way to get it off, or can I disconnect those hoses somewhere?

I figure, as long as the box seals properly, it should sound fine, right?

Opinions and comments.....

Thanks,

Asheesh

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
does a smaller speaker come in there factory?? You're trying to add to it correct?! More bass more vibration. Original specs are for one thing and you're putting somethin else

·
Registered
730 Posts
the hoses are for your abs system...i think you do have to cut the box but dont hold me to it. Small niches can be cut to move the hoses through to get it out and back in easily without destroying it completely.
Silicon flexes alot so youll need a whole lot of it to do it properly...if thats the road youre set on, maybe you can fiberglass the joints for a rockhard seal
you can get a small fiberglass kit at walmart for like $7

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,184 Posts
I have a little side project going on about something like this.

The idea is to take the stock subwoofer enclosure, and mold in 1 or 2 8" subwoofers.

Anyone interested?

Brian

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,

From the looks of it, it seems like an 8" will not be able to fit flush to the floor of the hatch area......that sub box would be able to accept at most a 6".....I dont know... I will have to take it all apart and look further into it....it was just a simple idea I had....

Asheesh

·
Registered
691 Posts
i took my box out and i dont remember having to cut it... its only 4 bolts, take 2 minutes and pull it out of the car... brian

·
Previously Premier Panda
1,750 Posts
RScott said:
the hoses are for your abs system...i think you do have to cut the box but dont hold me to it. Small niches can be cut to move the hoses through to get it out and back in easily without destroying it completely.
If you trace the ABS wire to under the panels, next to the passenger seat you can unplug the harness, rerun it and connect it back again without cutting the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts