Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with an idea for a cold air intake for the TT supra. Nearly all of us w/o the factory air box just have a filter sitting behind the passenger side headlight. Some have air dams to help block the engine bay heat away, and some don't.

I was thinking of the idea of dropping the intake plumbing through a hole (not in existance) just behind the headlight. It drops in to the area where the factory IC used to be.

There's two concerns I have about this though:
1) Making a 4" hole in the body at that location. Strength should be able to be returned by welding in a ring around the hole, but that's more involved than most people will want.

2) The front inner fender splash guard on that side has vents in it. I know this is true for the TT models (necessary for flow through the IC). But I can't find a different part number for the N/A cars. Does anyone know if the N/A cars have slots in their passenger side front inner fender? I'm concerned about the tire splashing water through the vents. I suppose it would be easy enough to cover up the holes on the TT though.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
You mean like this?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it could be any closer than the photo you posted :eek:) So much for me having any sort of "original" idea.

It seemed like such a simple idea I couldn't understand why I hadn't seen it done before. Thanks for sharing!

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****blushing**** Yep, that too. Though I was thinking more of one that went straight down to minimize the hole size. More like the first image...but clearly others have already gone this route.

Any idea on the N/A splash shield? Or should I just cover mine up?

·
Registered
342 Posts
hockyplyer18 said:
db1115- do u notice any kind of difference? and u said its a 3inch pipe u got at pep boys correct?
I know it sounds different. Its hard to tell performance wise...since I installed the FMIC at the the same time I did the intake. The car is definetely making more power (it picked up 3 mph in the 1/4) but I cant attribute that to the intake. And I purchased the pipe from autozone. It is a 3" polished aluminum civic intake that I modified.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have had mine like that for a couple of years and about 20K with no issues and driving in the wet is a regular event. I have my 3inch intercooler pipework going out where Jim has his Intake pipe. I enlarged the OEM intercooler pipe hole in the side of the guard to run my 4inch intake pipe through, this allowed the K/N air filter to be mounted higher and closer to the outside edge of the guard. This put it in a position that does not allow spray to hit it through the vents in the inner guard, I thought leaving the vents open was a good option to ensure good cold air flow. Also this put the air cleaner out of sight when looking through the front bumper opening/vent except when you get down on your knees and look up in to it. This means when following other cars in wet conditions it is not in line with dirty road spray ect, and yes after first installing it this way it was checked regularly when and after driving in wet conditions and yes, all the theory works in practice. I used the K/N filter RD-1450 ( I have several old K/N boxs but I think that is the one) It is about 7inchs in diameter and 6 inchs in length and is straight edged (not cone style) Cheers Phil.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Phil,

That's a great idea putting it out the hole where the original IC pipine came through the fender. That would keep it more out of the tire spray, and road spray as well. I may have to look in to that further.

I believe the PHR turbo kits drop the IC piping straignt down, which would leave the original opening in the fender available. Very cool!

Thanks to everyone for all the input. --

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Greddy 4-row piping drops straight down also.

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
I have that hole you are talking about, but still have the pod in the engine bay and have no intentions of doing otherwise. I will however be making directional air scoops into the area of the filter, and a custom air box.

I don't trust what could go badly in wet weather, plus it looks very tacky after the amount of Honda's I've seen with theirs in the front bar.

Dan.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sicarius123 said:
I have that hole you are talking about, but still have the pod in the engine bay and have no intentions of doing otherwise. I will however be making directional air scoops into the area of the filter, and a custom air box.

I don't trust what could go badly in wet weather, plus it looks very tacky after the amount of Honda's I've seen with theirs in the front bar.

Dan.
You'll have to get down on your knees or bend over a long way to see my air filter, and if you are wearing the wrong dress that will make you look tacky! ha-ha. Jesus lots of Hondas have had turbos put on their cars lately, better take yours off before your car gets mistaken for a tacky Honda! As you may or may not have noticed I live in the Lower South Island in New-Zealand and I drive my car in all weather conditions. It would be an issue if you are thinking of driving through 12inchs deep standing water but not just driving in the rain. Phil.

·
ur moms favourite
1,405 Posts
Phil NZ said:
You'll have to get down on your knees or bend over a long way to see my air filter, and if you are wearing the wrong dress that will make you look tacky! ha-ha. Jesus lots of Hondas have had turbos put on their cars lately, better take yours off before your car gets mistaken for a tacky Honda! As you may or may not have noticed I live in the Lower South Island in New-Zealand and I drive my car in all weather conditions. It would be an issue if you are thinking of driving through 12inchs deep standing water but not just driving in the rain. Phil.
lmao, all class :D

·
6Spd TT Aerotop
3,620 Posts
Phil NZ said:
And we have been in a drought here for a long time, when it does rain properly it goes mental. I also drive my car in all conditions, it is a daily driver. Oh another thing, having the air filter down there would also be completely illegal here. Honestly there wouldn't be any advantage to having it in the front bumper over having it in a properly constructed cold air box at all, the only thing you could even say is that it would be cheaper but it's really not hard to make a pretty decent looking airbox yourself for the same cost as having a bit of custom piping made would be anyway.

Also, I was busy at work and worded what I wanted to say wrong before. I meant to say it looks pretty tacky, then use all the honda's you see with it as an example of how tacky it looks. If I can see a pod in a front bar, it looks tacky, no matter what car it is. If you've managed to keep yours pretty hidden, good for you, but I honestly still don't trust it being in there. A lot of big roadworks around me too at the moment due to a lot of overpasses for a new expressway being built, keep the filter much cleaner for longer in the engine bay.

Dan.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I have been planning to cut the hole and make it a cold air for a long time. Just need to go single!

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Sicarius123 said:
I meant to say it looks pretty tacky, then use all the honda's you see with it as an example of how tacky it looks.
I dissagree completely. I think it looks 10x cleaner than most of the tacky, half ass air boxes people claim are cold air. Most of them just have a shield and are not getting the benifits of pure cold air.

Also in california we have a much greater chance of getting in trouble if the air filter can be seen in the engine bay. When you drop the air filter in the fender, you will not be questioned because it can not be seen.

Look at Stu's car:

http://www.97supraturbo.com/Tech stuff/AirBox Install.jpg
http://www.97supraturbo.com/Tech stuff/AirBox.jpg

NOTICE: It can not bee seen through the front bumper:

http://www.97supraturbo.com/images/WWFront.jpg

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow thats clean, Im actually going to do that my self as well, since im going single it would be the perfect time. Now thats TRUE cold air.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Here's what I spent a couple of weeks producing from scratch :D It starts with the big oval mouth at the side of the center bumper scoop, up under the headlight through the 3in PVC pipes, and molded into the bottom edge of the factory scoop in front of the factory air box. It blows the hell out of my K&N drop-in :D

·
Banned
229 Posts
i am pretty sure the NA's have the splash shield as well. i have a 98 NA and theres is a slotted shield under the front fenders

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Spot! I was looking on the Jay Mark's Toyota site and didn't see any difference in part number for the NA and TT. Guess that confirms it.

-Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts