Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1984 toyota celica gt coupe,has 240,000 miles but a mint interior,exterior is a bit lacking.It has the 22re and a popped head gasket im in the process of rebuilding it and what not but i feel that 105 hp just isnt gonna cut, What kind of swaps would yall recommend? I was informed my car has a w58 tranny,is this the one thats supposed to hold alot of power?i read that it came in n/a supras and can i make it handle? i want to do some autocross/drifting.any help would be appreciated.thanks

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
you can swap whatever your willing to swap in. all it takes is time and money. 1uz, 7mgte, 1jz, etc... as for the w58 holding alot of power. lol. depends what you call alot of power. 300hp or so seems to be about the limit. ive broken a few of them. but ive also broken a few r154's as well.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I've seen some W58s take 400+hp on MKIV NA-T setups. I'd say go R154 to be safe. As far as motor swaps that mostly depends on your budget for the car. 7MGTE will be the cheapest usually. Most important thing to watch is the headgasket and rodknock. It's got some pretty good torque. 1JZ will probaby be a little more expensive and 2JZ will be fairly pricey but also a beast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts