Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my motor a few months ago and my idle still causes me grief occasionally - the freaky thing is that it doesn't happen all the time. Here is a breakdown

- go down the freeway for 15-20 minutes at 70-80 mph and catch traffic which results in stop and go traffice MY idle goes to 1600 rpm and won't go any lower (try quickly punching the gas thinking maybe a linkage issue, no luck)

- I'm having a heart attack but finally the traffic clears and I take off - it seems that the car is even more responsive now than when the idle is working correctly

- traffic slows down again and the idle now goes down to 1200 rpm or so

- I then pick up speed for about 5 minutes and then take the offramp - at the light the idle slowly goes from 1100 to 700 rpm over about 5 seconds

I get no codes or anything - could I still have a idle control valve problem (could it be sensors)? Also, since the car seemed to run better at high speed immediately after the idle was so high, is this a timing issue or vacuum advance problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I'd check your timing also man and maybe spark plugs, open up the timing cover and see if the cams are tdc with the crank, my car had that problem and it was because of the alignment of hte crank and cams... aight peace and good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts