Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so today was the first time i drove my car in about 5-6 days and i drove it for about 1 hour and i was having idle problems the whole time.

here is what would happen: driving around while the car is above 1K rpm and in gear everything "seemed" great. But the moment i would put the car into neutral, the rpms would keep falling all the way to zero and the engine wouldnt shut off. And sometimes they would fall all the way to the 400-600rpm range idle really bad. Oh also everytime the rpms went below 1000-1500rpm the brake light would come on and the check engine light.

can yall help me fix this, i gotta get my supra going prefectly again!!

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
im sure you checked for blown intercooler pipes already? #1 cause for idling problems on a MAF vehicle (im guessing you are still mass air)

·
Registered
952 Posts
my start up idle has been acting up the last 2 days. Nothing has been changed and everything been running good before then. During cold startup, it usually rev up to 1500 and then slowly go down until it fully warms. Now its been going up to 900-1000 and then slowly going down to 500-600. After about 20-30 minutes of driving, it would go back to normal at 650 or so. I tried to reset the ECU by pulling the fuse but it doesn't work. I'm thinking the ECU is adjusting?? I still have the MAP.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to reset the ecu what fuse would i have to pull?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EFI Fuse. Or just unplug the battery for a while.
tried it, didnt work... on first start up it idles at 600-630rpm (in neutral) and the moment u give it some gas, it just stops idling and the rpms fall all the way to zero

·
Registered
952 Posts
you might have a leak if you are not able to ilde correctly. Are you using map ecu? My issue and yours seem to be different. My idle doesn't drop down to 0. The lowest my would go is 500 or so. I seriously think its the ECU adjusting but I am going to try and start it up after work and see if it fully adjust yet. I read somewhere it takes a few cycle for it to learn.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im on the gcc/safc combo, when i first start mine up without putting my foot on the gas, it will start and idle around 500-700rpm. But the moment i rev it, the rpms go up and then straight down to 0 (when the car is in neutral). Also i just put some fuel/engine cleaner in it, and right after i did that it was working fine, but then i took it for a drive and it was all messed up again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
have you checked the idle control? if your car was normal before the fuel/engine cleaner then I would supect its something related to it. It might just need to learn or flush anything away. Not sure.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have you checked the idle control? if your car was normal before the fuel/engine cleaner then I would supect its something related to it. It might just need to learn or flush anything away. Not sure.
no it was MSSED UP before the engine cleaner and then when i put it in, the car started acting normal.

but then after a short drive was acting weird

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
sounds like an IACV probelm to me as well if your idle goes way down when it warms up, it is probably seized in a certain position. see if there is anyone close that you can swap valves with to see if it corrects the problem.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like an IACV probelm to me as well if your idle goes way down when it warms up, it is probably seized in a certain position. see if there is anyone close that you can swap valves with to see if it corrects the problem.

im gonna try that 2morrow

BTW, do u live in Duval texas?

·
Banned
509 Posts
Hey Quinn,

This is Umesh....the guy that let you use the tools at the UH meet. Remember when we were in Uptown and your car died.........check your battery terminals .....you could just have a bad ground or maybe your safc has reset itself. Check those, and if all else fails call Mike @ TSP. If you need his # PM me.
Later
UmeshT

·
Registered
952 Posts
my idle problem resolve itself. Tonight when i started it, it started up fine. It reved up to 1500 and then slowly went down as it warms up. I figure it was the ecu adjusting to the warm weather we are having. :) good luck with your problem.

·
Recovering Supraholic
551 Posts
HKS Super sequential or how ever u spell it, lol
I had an idle problem with the SSQ once.
Start the car and go check your BOV and make sure that its not leaking air, open the throttle a bit and make sure that the black inner part does not retract at all since it should move only when pressure needs to be released (when you let of the throttle)

try to tighten the BOV screw a full turn and take the car for a ride. I hope thats the problem

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had an idle problem with the SSQ once.
Start the car and go check your BOV and make sure that its not leaking air, open the throttle a bit and make sure that the black inner part does not retract at all since it should move only when pressure needs to be released (when you let of the throttle)

try to tighten the BOV screw a full turn and take the car for a ride. I hope thats the problem
well i checked that out to so i dont know, i think it has something to due with the ecu, im have no clue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts