Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has had trouble getting their Supra to idle properly w/272 cams and a big single, then figured out how to make it work, I'd appreciate your advice.

If I set the idle to around 1,200rpm cold, it end up idling at around 1,500 hot. Is the ECU overriding the idle adjustment screw, or is there something else that you can do to trick this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris.

P.S. I also have 850cc injectors and VPC/720cc cams chip.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I'm not sure about idle adjustment, but I've heard that it may often help to check/adjust valve clearance with the "shims" to get a smoother idle when installing a "wilder" cam. I'm not certain on this, so maybe someone with more knowledge elaborate on this.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Checking valve clearance when installing cams is a must whether you put in 264's or 272's. I was lucky and my valve clearances fell within spec on my black car with 264's and on my white car with 272's. Chris, check mkiv.com, i made a spot regarding your question.
Peter

A

·
0 Posts
Yeah I discovered the fun game the computer plays when you try to raise the idle. The problem is no matter what you do with the throttle blade adjustment, the computer is still gonna try and keep the speed down. So you have to basically open it so much the IAC motor never opens beyond the first seconds after cranking.

Until you can set the desired idle you have to live with the high idle. The AEM unit will fix this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts