Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some odd problems recently after spark plugs changed. Before my spark plugs were changed and BPUed, my idle was perfect at 700-800 rpm Now the idle speed drop to 500 rpm, and when I switched to park mode or stopped at red (without ac on), the car act if it's gonna chock or something (rpm meter jumps from 480-510 consistantly), and died 2-3 times. Any suggestion to get ride of this problem? Again I am using Rapidfire spark plugs...

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you gapped your plugs down that could cause idle problems. I can't really speak concretely on idle because I run stock plugs and I have an OBDII car which have a strange idle already.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My car is doing the same thing

I changed the sparkplugs and mine is doing the exact same thing.
I think that my problem is that they are to ''cold''. I am running stock boost now and my plugs were for BPU'd. If you find something out let me know.

thanks,

E

·
0 Posts
Iridium Plugs might help!

I just changed the plugs from stock to a set of hks iridium plugs, and I noticed that the engine runs smoother without this rough idle like it had (the temperary choking symdrome) before...:D :D It stays right around 700 or 800 rpm and would not fluctuate much. Although pricy, the iridium plugs should last longer with this 'iridium tip':rolleyes: Hope it helps.....:)

regards,

----------------
eddie c.
98tt blk/blk 6sp (finally bpu-lized :cool: )
type-s fmic, dp w/cat, hks evc silver, hks ssbv, du-lock floor brace, trd susp, trd front strut bar, trd bushing kits, and stuff..........

·
SupraForums Sponsor
1,020 Posts
running a BPU plug (colder w/ tighter gap) can result in a rough idle because the gap is so tight it doesn't completely combust the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder at idle. i have never used Rapidfire (except on my old 1996 SS camaro), but on most plugs you can go down to at LEAST .033 before experiencing a rough idle (though every car is different when it comes to plugs/gaps).
A lot of people use NGK plugs, but i swear by Champion Race Plug C63YC (NAPA #796). on my 1st supra i used the NGK & Champion plugs at BPU and was able to run about .003-.004 more without a miss using the champions. The ground strap on the champs is pulled back away from the electrode more than the ngk, thus exposing more spark to the a/f mix. worked great for me.
my .02 hope it helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts