Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
belt tensioner pullly help.

Hey im replacing the headgasket and im also replacing the timing belt. i cant seem to find where the belt tensioner pully is. do i need to take off the plastic cover behind the cam shaft? i cant losen the cam shaft bolt at all ive tried impact guns and it wouldnt budge. i need to put a new belt on or just losen the tension so i can slide my old 1 onto the cams. my car is a 95 na-t cali spec. wheres the tensioner pully, i still cant find it.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
If you cannot find the tensioner pulley or how to remove tension, please don't do the headgasket yourself.

save us from hearing the whining when your HG is shit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea but is it behind the plastic cover thats beind the cam shaft...? i dont have a tech manual figure i ask around here to find it. but thanks anyway for ur your help 98mkiv. why even waste ur time replying if ur not going to give me any helpfull advice on the questions i asked?...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Grason said:
yea but is it behind the plastic cover thats beind the cam shaft...? i dont have a tech manual figure i ask around here to find it. but thanks anyway for ur your help 98mkiv. why even waste ur time replying if ur not going to give me any helpfull advice on the questions i asked?...

Actually, 98mkiv's advice was EXTREMELY helpful - you'll heed the advice if your smart.

Trying to wing a timing belt and headgasket job without any experience (as your post implies) or the FSM is, well, insane.

Please tell me your working on a '74 Pinto.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah thats what i was looking for... thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any tips on removing the crank shaft pully... that thing is on there.. impact gun wouldnt move it at all. tried wrench on it and having the car turn over a few cranks and that didnt work either.

·
Banned
624 Posts
at least get a hold of the factory service manual if your gonna try yourself.
You are setting yourself up for failure without it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Grason said:
any tips on removing the crank shaft pully... that thing is on there.. impact gun wouldnt move it at all. tried wrench on it and having the car turn over a few cranks and that didnt work either.
In the manual there is shown a pair of SSTs (Special Service Tools) that make this task sooooo easy. One is a flange (so-called crankshaft pulley holding tool) that bolts to the CS pulley, the other is a handle that attaches to the flange. The handle can be positioned so that it is braced against the ground in such a way that it holds the pulley from turning which ever way you need to keep it from turning. The bolt can then be removed with a breaker bar/socket AND a 4 ft extender (steel pipe from Home Depot just large enough to fit over the breaker bar handle).

Tool numbers: 09213-70010 and 09330-00021

SSTs are pricey but readily available from:
http://toyota.spx.com/

Good luck.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
Grason said:
but thanks anyway for ur your help 98mkiv. why even waste ur time replying if ur not going to give me any helpfull advice on the questions i asked?...
Proceed at your own peril.

DO NOT USE A CHAIN WRENCH to remove the crank bolt. Get a 3' iron pipe, put it on the end of your 1/2 drive ratchet with the 22mm socket and bump starter with the key (keep the fuel ecu fuse out so it won't start). Impact gun won't do shit for you, and a chain wrench will do more damage than it's worth.

Again, just my useless info..... and again, "Proceed at your own peril."

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I have the tools and the manual and where where it is, and I won't even attempt it.
There is just way too much that can go wrong for someone doing it on their own for the first time.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
yea but dont u have to take that off to chang the timing belt... so shops do do it and since we marked all the pullys it wont be hard to put back on. and ive already tried to do ur method 98mkiv, it didnt budge . right now im trying to buy the tool toyota uses.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
the bump trick with the extension bar works. If it doesn't work you're not doing it right. Put the bar on the floor. Have someone keep the socket in place with a broom handle (or their arm if they don't mind having only one left after you're done ruining your supra) and then hit the key..... it never fails. Only way for it not to work is for your starter to not work or for the bar to either brake or lift the car, none of those scenarios is likely.

You don't have to take what off?

It's so sad to see so many youngsters ruining these cars. When I was a kid I had to learn on a hyundai..... that was 5 years old.....

It's not to say that 40 year olds aren't ruining them either, and that there aren't some talented 20 year olds.... but clearly you're inexepereinced and learning on a supra is sad. But hey, that's why we're here.... to try to help you and laugh our assess off when you say..... "I don't know what happened to my motor, I just changed the head gasket. What could it be?"

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
true i understand why ur saying all that stuff about young kids like myself working on their cars.. i have a 2 friends who are helping me but only 1 has worked on a supra which is his modded mk3. were gona try to do the bump trick again hopefully it works...

im trying to change the timing belt and theres a plaastic cover thats over it. and to take the plastic cover off i gota take the pully off.

i appreciate ur help 98mkiv and this info ur giving me now isnt useless.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
search man....this is a beaten subject all over the boards.

I have posted up a really good tool to take off the crank pulley before, many have commented on ways to break the crank pulley bolt loose, and torque it down, hell even the toyota service manuals are here as pdfs.

·
pirates like cookies
702 Posts
i had a mechanic change my tensioner in about 37 seconds....

he can't stand changing headgaskets...

i think perhaps this may be a bad idea ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
This picture from the FSM should get a good laugh out of anyone who has ever taken the CS pulley bolt out:

I feel so inadequate, so weak. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ha finally got it off today... all we did was put the wrench on the bolt and smack it really hard with a hammer.. the torque finally broke it free.. yet again the other method of using the bump trick didnt work again.. it didnt have enough force to turn it.. but whatever ill prolly have some more questions later on. thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 26 Posts