Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if u can do it all over again would you buy a MKIV?
i was looking around and for the same price of a nice low mileage MKIV you could get a EVO, STI, G35, or a 350z. how do y'all feel about this cars? mod for mod can a supra still out perform? i mean each year this inexpensive cars just gettin faster and faster. now they got this saturn "redline" i think it's called with a s/c kit on it

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
MKIV 4 Life said:
i was looking around and for the same price of a nice low mileage MKIV you could get a EVO, STI, G35, or a 350z. how do y'all feel about this cars? mod for mod can a supra still out perform? i mean each year this inexpensive cars just gettin faster and faster. now they got this saturn "redline" i think it's called with a s/c kit on it
if you want a car that can be seen on every corner go for one of those above...it also takes ALOT of money to make one of those cars perform to a BPU Supra's standards...in case you dont know or are just ignorant the Supra is getting faster every year also.

Jason

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
MKIV 4 Life said:
dam, don't catch feelings, i hear about these 1500 hp supras i do read
you dont need 1500 hp....I was the first non nitrous BPU car to run in the 10's EVER last year...have backed it up multiple times this year....I am referring to all spectrums of the Supra's not just the people that can afford to throw 100k at their cars.

Jason

·
HIGH OFF BOOST
788 Posts
2j's rule

MKIV 4 Life said:
dam, don't catch feelings, i hear about these 1500 hp supras i do read

The best thing about the supra's it dont take alot of HP to make them run 600 is a nice supra with the right driver it will take a few more years before the other car makers catch on with the supra (pound for pound the people's champ)

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
HotSoup said:
you dont need 1500 hp....I was the first non nitrous BPU car to run in the 10's EVER last year...have backed it up multiple times this year....I am referring to all spectrums of the Supra's not just the people that can afford to throw 100k at their cars.

Jason
Jason, did you ever go back to the dyno after your 44x-rwhp pull? That was the last number I remember seeing from you. Just curious...

To the original poster...
Not a day goes by do I regret my purchase. You wouldn't either.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Dego Red said:
Jason, did you ever go back to the dyno after your 44x-rwhp pull? That was the last number I remember seeing from you. Just curious...

To the original poster...
Not a day goes by do I regret my purchase. You wouldn't either.
sure havent....I never had the time to.

Jason

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is it worth gettin a 5spd supra and doing the stock twin turbo engine with the 6spd tranny later on? or is it to much money

·
Registered
794 Posts
MKIV 4 Life said:
is it worth gettin a 5spd supra and doing the stock twin turbo engine with the 6spd tranny later on? or is it to much money
This has been beaten to death. You're going to spend 10 grand for the 6 speed swap if you want all brand new parts from curt. The engine used will be another couple grand. Then labor costs.

- Randy

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
If I could do it all over: I would have bought a whole stable of Supras back before the F&F days!

The EVO is the only car I would consider out of that group. Even then, I would remove the body and put a 2-door body on it!

Al

·
Registered
581 Posts
MKIV 4 Life said:
I don't regret it a single moment. A sexy body, a powerful, well-proven powerplant,a beefy powertrain, suspension and brakes to match, rarer than a Corvette, Toyota quality, around 1G stock, a very strong aftermarket support, no sedan based econobox, how can one go wrong? :bowdown: :bowdown: Buy what you like, it's your money.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
As it turns out, about 6 months ago I was faced with the same question you're dealing with now. I looked at a LOT of different cars. In the end I went with a hardtop TT. The car is probably the nicest overall quality of any that you mentioned. One of my big gripes about the STI and EVO are that they are really $18,000 cars, with $18k of factory go-fast parts on them. Yes, they're a lot of performance for the money, but the interior, fit/finish, and clunkiness of the cars is a lot more than any other $30k car I can think of. Also, you have to wonder about the stability of the Mitsubishi company as well. They've not been doing well lately.

The other really nice thing about the Supra is that they are holding their value VERY well. If you spend $30k on any of the other cars, they're likely to depreciate a lot more than a Supra.

The downsides to the Supra are that they're getting older. The targa tops start to rattle (can be fixed), and they're likely to have 100k miles or so on them. Finding a Supra in fantastic condition is hard anymore. If you can live with some rock chips in the bumper/hood, and the occasional item wearing out, then the Supra may be just fine for you.

For what it's worth, I also bought a 05 G35x for my daily driver. No, it's not fast like the STI or EVO, but it is *so* much nicer. Nissan/Infiniti did a nice job when they created the FM platform. Honestly, if the G35x came with a manual transmission and they made twin turbo kits that fit....I may not have bought the supra. But I'm glad they don't because I love the Infiniti as a confortable cruiser, and the Supra is better on the track than the Infiniti would ever be on its best day.

It's going to be hard to beat a Supra for power potential. But if you're looking for an "all in one" car that can haul 3-4 people around, the Supra doesn't do that job very well. Other Supra owners also tend to favor the Z06 and Viper when they leave the Supra crowd. Most of them come back though.

Good luck with the decision. The "For Sale" section on the site is a great way to find a lot of great cars for sale.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i guess i gotta check out the "for sale" section now. i already have my mind set on the supra i was trying to get some other insight on how people felt about the other cars that i have mention. right now i have a 2001 Gs 430 and i love that car and the realibity is great on it. I use to how a 96 supra back in 99 ( it was my second car) believe it or not i got it for 9,000 but i sold it a year later for the down payment on the Gs. i never really got into that supra i just chilled in it. never had a chance to upgrade it's proformance so i guess u can say i never really got a chance to be a "true supra owner" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
one thing i forgot to mention, why is the 2jzgt with 6spd tranny so much i mean i got a site that sells a use set up for about $4,000. i mean if the car is already manual tranny thing it should just swap right in right. is the rear differntual the same? the 3.76 right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts