Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
between an 02 nissan x-terra 4x4 supercharged or a 2000 toyota 4-runner Sr5 4x4, which one would you choose??

i'm all for the 4runner, but the x-terra seems like a better deal. It's newer, more refined, more power, less mielage and maybe 2-3000$ more then a 4runner. I think it's a tossup between these 2 vehicles. Keep in mind that i DON'T go offroading. Only country cottage roads and rugged canadian winters.

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
I'm probably the biggest pain in the ass member on this forum when it comes to pickyness on car interiors. Makes all the difference in the world IMO. I guess that's why I tend to like Jaguars, Lexies, and Merc's.

In a toss up like this, compare those two things. Something you won't get bored looking at or playing with. =)
Other than that, I'd go for the Toyota for a history of build quality. Plus the 2000 models look nice, much better than the now bulky tank 4runners. The interiors are alright in them as well, just don't get the fuckin' wood.

Richard

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts
Even though the Nissan is S/C, I am still pretty sure the 4Runner, V6 model, is faster.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
the XTERRA is not more refined in the least bit IMO. I dont like the one we have at all. Interior is cheap as hell its waayyyy underpowered and gets terrible gas mileage. Id assume with the supercharger its even worse. The steering feels so detached as well. I say go 4runner all the way.

BTW IIRC the supercharged X is 200hp and the V6 4Runner is 183hp. For that 2k i think all you are really getting is 20 more hp and nothing else over the 4Runner.

Alex

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,306 Posts
Trust me, don't get an Xterra - you aren't in highschool, and the cheapo build quality, lame-excuse-for-an-interior, and overal junkiness of the truck will make you want to pull your hair out. I've worked on several, and I'd NEVER have one. Get a good, solid, used 4Runner - you won't be disappointed.

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i want a 4runner but they're damn expensive for their age and mielage. I just figured i'd ask some of you since we're all car enthusiasts so it's nice to get some positive or negative feedback on vehicles from everyday non-biased users such as ourselves.

I really only looked at the x-terra because it's that much newer for around the same price + leather + supercharger which makes it somewhat appealing.....i'll test drive both and see.

·
Banned
612 Posts
4 Runner no doubt about it...

better resale, reliability, and looks in my opinion..

·
Registered
922 Posts
My friends have both the older 4Runners and older Xterras and the new Xterra. The Xterra weights a lot more than the 4Runner so it is very significantly slower than the 4Runner on the freeway. Both handle ok. The 4Runner is definately light on the backside with a bumpier ride. Xterra has good 4X4 performance.

The 4Runner gets better gas mileage. I think the Xterra is better for passengers with the lifted rear seat.

I don't know that any of my friends have had any problems with either the older Xterra or the older 4Runner. The newer Xterra has a couple glitches but also fairly minor.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Moody said:
Trust me, don't get an Xterra - you aren't in highschool, and the cheapo build quality, lame-excuse-for-an-interior, and overal junkiness of the truck will make you want to pull your hair out. I've worked on several, and I'd NEVER have one. Get a good, solid, used 4Runner - you won't be disappointed.
I couldn't have said it better myself. The first gen Xterras are complete and utter trash. I haven't checked out the new ones, but I hope they've gotten better.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
my buddy has a new one and from what i hear its a world of difference. But he mainly likes it for off-road since it has a locking diff.

A 2 year difference isnt going to mean much. If anything it really depends on how the previous owner took care of the vehicle.

Alex

1 - 18 of 18 Posts