Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a S AFC, VPC, Profec B setup right now. And aparantly the VPC is giving me problems (so the shop says). And now i am just flat out pissed. I have spend $600 so far and i could have just paid for a MAPECU and most likely solved the problem.

So I have two questoins for you.

1) What would you get in the mean time to save yourself a headache and get some power, that is NOT AEM? MapECU? Has anyone tuned using a EManage Ultimate? I see a lot for sale, and i heard they have some quarks, but....????

2) How much is AEM going to cost eventually?
I know its about $1400 for the unit, but what else will i need?

**EDIT**

I would like to do it right the first time. However, i don't have the ~$2500 - ???? Its going to cost me. I just spent $600 on the shop, $500 on tires, $200 on alignment, ~$600 trip to NY to see Fam and G/F, $1,800 on 5yr gift for g/f. So i am pretty muched tapped out.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
well... imo, do it right the first time. i would go AEM or other standalone. I am runnning a Apexi Power FC and love it!

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
get a map ecu....I have heard nightmares about people trying to use safc with vpc....another option would be to get a gcc...but that doesn't fix the problem if your vpc is bad...

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
emanage ultimate.... 1/2 price of aem, 80% of the power of aem, 20% of the complexity of aem.

I've used both.... I'm learning the aem now and yes, it's powerful, but it isn't exactly easy to use. The emanage was software is pretty straight forward.

just my $.02

·
Registered
1993.5 Blk/Blk Hardtop 6spd
474 Posts
Turbo4reek said:
$600 on the shop
$500 on tires
$200 on alignment
~$600 trip to NY to see Fam and G/F
$1,800 on 5yr gift for g/f
reading that someone actually spent $1,800.00 on a girl over his supra........

....priceless. :jerkit:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Turbo4reek said:
I have a S AFC, VPC, Profec B setup right now. And aparantly the VPC is giving me problems (so the shop says). And now i am just flat out pissed. I have spend $600 so far and i could have just paid for a MAPECU and most likely solved the problem.

So I have two questoins for you.

1) What would you get in the mean time to save yourself a headache and get some power, that is NOT AEM? MapECU? Has anyone tuned using a EManage Ultimate? I see a lot for sale, and i heard they have some quarks, but....????

2) How much is AEM going to cost eventually?
I know its about $1400 for the unit, but what else will i need?

**EDIT**

I would like to do it right the first time. However, i don't have the ~$2500 - ???? Its going to cost me. I just spent $600 on the shop, $500 on tires, $200 on alignment, ~$600 trip to NY to see Fam and G/F, $1,800 on 5yr gift for g/f. So i am pretty muched tapped out.
AEM is a little more than $1400, unless you can find a used one in the fs section. you will also need a map sensor (may as well do it once and get the AEM 5 bar) and also an IAT sensor

·
Registered
219 Posts
Always worth it to spend the money when you know AEM works, or else you're going to waste money and still get AEM in the end. If you want to save money take your time and price around for tuning shops. I mean it all depends on what you want your car to do.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
If you're happy with piggybacks - I'd choose the VPC/SAFC over the MAP any day of the week.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
If you're happy with piggybacks - I'd choose the VPC/SAFC over the MAP any day of the week.
Word, but i would choose a gcc over safc anyday of the week :p

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
slither said:
Word, but i would choose a gcc over safc anyday of the week :p

I had a GCC and switched to a SAFC. The GCC ran out of adjustment for me and that is why i went with the AFC2. If you are running 680-780cc injectors i think the GCC would be perfect though.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
I would not use the Titan unit like Ranger suggested, read the link he provided and you'll see why.

I would definately not use the MAP ECU.

The GCC is garbage.

I would use the HKS F-Con V-Pro or whatever its name is any day of the week had I not chosen AEM. Unless I had the money for Motec of course.

I have heard mixed reviews of the Apexi Power FC.

The Greddy E-manage Ultimate is also a piece. The theory is that it can allow you to tune the timing of the stock ECU, however, the stock ECU is a learning ECU and has not worked to my knoweledge in the states. I have heard of two people in Japan getting it to work, but I cannot verify the validity of that.

Joe

·
3,487 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
A wideband is a must with AEM.

BTW, I user SAFC2 and VPC for along time with no problems.
Not true. I know of a certain member on to4.com who has AEM, GA74, 800+RWHP who does NOT have ANY wideband. But he had his car tuned perfectly over the course of a week. But this person will remain nameless...

But in all seriousness, for the other 99% of people with AEM, a wideband is necessary.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Stick w/ the piggy back set-up. If you're fustrated now, wait till you get the AEM EMS. You'll need.

1) AEM EMS box
2) Ignition amplifier as you're now running wasted spark
3) Map sensor (can use the cheap pos GM 3 bar for $50)
4) GM IAT sensor

Factor in cost to install of it along with Tuning and you've got serious money into your new set-up. Also a wide band is recommended.. The AEM EMS is not 100% reliable so it could cause you problems too.

Hope this helps.

·
3,487 Posts
Chucky Doll said:
Stick w/ the piggy back set-up. If you're fustrated now, wait till you get the AEM EMS. You'll need.

1) AEM EMS box
4) GM IAT sensor

Factor in cost to install of it along with Tuning and you've got serious money into your new set-up. Also a wide band is recommended.. The AEM EMS is not 100% reliable so it could cause you problems too.

Hope this helps.
I believe Larry found how to get around the wasted spark so an ignition amplifer is not necessary anymore.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Chucky Doll said:

1) AEM EMS box
4) GM IAT sensor

Hope this helps.
slight off topic, but were you in OC this weekend? I think i saw your car and it sounded like it was running decently when you punched it down coastal highway. Could of been somebody else but i thought it was you. I was on 17th street.

Anyway to stay on topic. The VPC/SAFC2 combo has been used for years and works effectively for most people's setups.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
I believe Larry found how to get around the wasted spark so an ignition amplifer is not necessary anymore.
:lol:

You make it sound like it's childs play to open the aem box up to make alterations to the mother board. :rofl:

Keep thinking that. The cost to have a professional do it will lead one to just buy a ignition box. In the end this all cost extra money. From what I gather from the poster this isn't welcomed. :ugh2:

I have an aem ems box. It's a great unit, but certainly not the best box out there. It has problems, period.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts