Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A) New Camaro (down payment with about as high credit as you can have with no house)

Pros: (Probably) reliable, shiny, mmmmm V8, lots more womenz
Cons: In debt, choice of stock(ish) power for awhile or void the warranty

B) MK3 built up right nicely

Pros: Have money left over, do-it-myself pat on the back, mmmmm turbo
Cons: Reliability (especially with 7m), moderate downtime

C) MK3 with turbo (modern!) V8 swap

Pros: Pure awesomness, mmmmm V8, mmmmm turbo
Cons: Cost (may put me in a no-completion scenario), high downtime, reliability (maybe)

D) C3 stingray vette, mods dependant on initial cost to buy

Pros: (opinion) Sexy car, somewhat more womenz
Cons: Cost (either going to end up breaking even or going slightly in debt), reliability (maybe)

E) Some kind of used econobox

Pros: Money saved, good gas mileage, reliability (probably)
Cons: Self-hate, few womenz, boredom, sleeping at the wheel, loss of "man card", night-terrors, theft, (potential) homosexuality etc...

I just turned 25 and I have had no tickets or at-fault accidents, so my insurance will be quite good on any of these options. I'm asking all of your opinions because I'm currently marinating in Afghanistan (I'm a Marine) and am kind of out of touch with the world.

Obviously E is a joke option.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
buy my car, change what you don't like and enjoy a nice Jack 'n Coke. Thanks for serving!

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going back to college. Property is not a priority. Also MK4s (aside from the engine) do nothing for me. Plus they are overinflated price-wise.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
you must have discovered the Afghani Hash....because you definitely have to be high as hell to come up with such a list to piss away your sandbox money on.

·
VVT-i FTW
628 Posts
New Camaro is sweet, but is a poor option when talking about dollar/horspower ratio. A nicely done up MKIII with either a 1JZ/2JZ/TT V8 swap would be killer, or a nice stock TT MKIV. If you're gonna buy a Corvette, you can get the C5 model, even the Z06, for about that price range as well.
Personally, I'd go for for the 2JZ MKIII option, because that rules out the reliability issue, or if you want no downtime, MKIV. 2JZ FTMFW.

·
Registered
443 Posts
2jz swap. moderate downtime, mmmmm big turbo, mmmm 2jz, mmmmm supra, mmmmm 400+ rwhp supra still having some left over for beer, womenz, a DD, whatever you wanna spend your extra 15-20k left over..
or boring old school, or a nice house. but who needs housing or any type of intelligence, when you hae a supra?... :lol:

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They pay for my housing in college and I've set aside about a year's worth to live on if it gets delayed like it always does. Plus veterans go to school free in Illinois (tuition).

I paid down all my debt a bit ago, so this money is up for grabs. I considered a C5 vette, but they are too expensive for a used car (without high mileage/problems), honestly. This is also a prime factor in me not getting an MK4. Stock is unacceptable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
They pay for my housing in college and I've set aside about a year's worth to live on if it gets delayed like it always does. Plus veterans go to school free in Illinois (tuition).

I paid down all my debt a bit ago, so this money is up for grabs. I considered a C5 vette, but they are too expensive for a used car (without high mileage/problems), honestly. This is also a prime factor in me not getting an MK4. Stock is unacceptable.
You could get a nice 6.0L gto and put twin turbo kit on it.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,126 Posts
Doesn't change my answer.
I've blown way too much money on cars (still do) that would have been better off investing or putting towards something like a house. (also an investment.)

Just saying that's probably the SMARTEST things to do.. .doesn't mean anyone actually does it.

·
Night in the Ruts
921 Posts
Go for a built right MKlll, and don't be afraid of the 7M.
and you can have enough money left over for the dollar menu!
I do agree with investing the money first.
Take 20% put it in savings
Take another 20% put it towards the future.
If all debts are paid off, indulge yourself with the left over 60%

1 - 20 of 121 Posts