Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'm going to have some financial aide left over after summer classes, so I'm trying to decide what to do.

What I have -
'88 Automatic Turbo Targa Supra
DSM electric fans + 185 degree probe
1.4mm TMS MHG
ARP studs @ 95lbs/ft
Shimmed the wastegate to 8psi.

Everything else on this car is completely, totally bone ass stock.

Car is in completely great running order, with the exception of the transmission - I've got a code 64 (bad lockup solenoid) and it feels like it's slipping just a hair between shifts.

So what I'm thinking -

Swap to a R154
Pick up the silicone reducers/connectors needed to make my own hard pipes
Pick up the CT26 flange, and make my own 3" turbo-back exhaust system, probably with a Magnaflow 3" muffler

I'm thinking the R154 will be around $500-$750 to swap, and the parts to make my own hard pipes and elbow/downpipe/exhaust system will take up the rest.

Turbo has no shaft play currently.

·
Redneck
283 Posts
The frist thing i thought was the 5 speed swap too, you can never beat the fun of a 5 speed well maby with a 6speed:D. My other thought was a suspension,when i put mine on it was like night and day.If u need a new auto tranny i got one for $75 bucks or so i really don't need it , also got 2 w58's but those anit helpin you. I still think i would pick the 5speed cuz autos suck.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
1+ for 5spd then exhaust

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
5 speed for sure.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Deffinately 5speed. Its amazing how much better you can control your car with a 5speed. Besides you said the auto tranny was shot anyways.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
drjonez said:
build an exhaust and buy a cheapo filter adaptor + a k&n....you'll freak out @ the difference.

:bigthumb: aint that the truth! :faint:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whoa whoa... the auto tranny's not shot - I just don't like automatics. :D It slips between shifts (like any automatic does) and I hate that. The lockup solenoid isn't working, but I've got a set of extra solenoids out of another a340e N/A Supra.

Yeah, I'm thinking 5spd swap + custom 3" exhaust + 2.5" hard pipes (I actually picked up a MAF adapter @ Autozone for $12, but the bolt holes are wrong - so my spare AFM housing is going to get re-worked on the flange, to bolt it up - so that I can run a 4" inlet air filter :D)

·
always watching
362 Posts
do the 5spd. just do it right. look around and get a good clutch/flywheel combo theirs always someone sellin one for a decent price. if you can find a fidenza its worth it. It makes a big diffence and you won't regret it. but deffinatly do the exhast and k&N.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thermactor, are you running a stick? I'll swap you! :D

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
You could buy my old working auto ;).

[edit]I'd let it go for just shipping costs, but the problem is that it's heavy (150 lbs???) and will require a crate. When I did my 5spd swap, the fluid drained out like it was brand new and it never leaked/slipped. You'll have to reuse your driveshaft/auto harness/etc though. I'd suggest getting it flushed with a new gasket before using it though, since it HAS been sitting for awhile (ports blocked with rags, but still..... almost 2 years).

·
2,275 Posts
Id put the money in the bank and pay off debts if I had any or Id just sit on the money and let it build interest :).

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
i did a cat back and intake b4 the 5 sp and i'm loving it! 5 Sp is next :0

·
Registered
354 Posts
So the question was If you had $700-$1000...
Hmmm i guess i would smoke a whole bunch of crack :crazy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts