Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all my fellow MKIV owners. I am in the market for these brakes. Including the possibility of rears. I'm tired of the fading from slowing down at 175mph +

1. Please write you review of these brakes; experience and technical data if you have these brake on your car you own. please no buddies car experience.
2. Where is the best and least expensive place to get them.

Thanks for your time and professionalism.
The other Big Brake Option was the Endless knock off. Does any one have any feed back on these. Oh please include what you paid for them and where's the best place to get them. Please include front and rear prices and availability.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
err, I can chime in on AP 6-pot fronts and 4-pot rears if you want.....

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure it seem to be a direct competitive part

Tell us your experience with AP

Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Tell us your experience with AP

Thanks
Braking power per se, it's pretty damn good.

I have yet to experience fade at all in these brakes. From a cold start, with the pads the AP kit came with, stopping power is great but when they do warm up, it is simply phenomenal.

I haven't tracked my Supra hard yet and I've only topped it out at 140mph or so but at that speed, combined with nice wide and sticky 265 front tires and HKS drag suspension, I ended up way short of where I wanted to slow down to.

However I do have one complaint. My ABS system was removed and now the pedal is really soft. Not mushy, just soft. I'm also using Motul RBF600. The distributor of Motul told me that RBF tends to be soft and needs to be heated up a bit to get firmer. There is some difference in pedal feel when the brakes are up to proper temps but not by much. End result, it's hard to mdulate the brakes for max balls-out threshhold braking. You need time and practice with the AP brakes. But despite feeling soft, they are very accurate and progressive.

Oh another thing, from cold, the brakes transition to a weird point where braking feel and braking power are diminished prior to being fully warmed up and regaining their ferocious bite. Only for a few minutes. The rotors also don't rust easily.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a 2jz/mk3 and I have bought a BBK for the front .....
6 pot 14.1" (355mm x 32mm) 2 piece drilled rotors with alu hats. Got them from Japan
and their brand is JGTC Spec (by Sumitomo)...very rare brake kit for mk3.
The caliper weights less than 6 lbs....very light piece indeed!
Haven't put them on yet...Waiting for 18' wheels to clear the BBK.

The supra logo was custom made by me to cover the Jap Spec logo....:whip:

Anyway...The mk4 4 pot 326mm front brakes are more than good...believe that!
The only weak point are the pads and the rotors for high performance / high
speeds (170mp/h+) or roadracing....A change to some good parts like ferodo
pads and some brembo or endless rotors will be more than ok!
The (mk4 4 pot) caliper's pistons are very big from factory.Their only weak point is
the big weight that the caliper has.....about 12 lbs :sadance:

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Rocketman,
out of my curiosity, what pads are you using now? stock rotors/calipers I assume?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Current brake set up

Rocketman,
out of my curiosity, what pads are you using now? stock rotors/calipers I assume?

My set up now is stock caliper, speedforsale rotors, and carbon kevlar pad, stock bake flood. When I slow down from 170+ they bite ok and will fade qiuckly leaving a smell like they are on fire.

Pros rotos never warp and look good.
Cons stop and go driving causes it to squeal .
Rear Brake (Thanks MD SUPERSTAR for nice paint job on the calipers)

SILV

SILV07

Dyno Tuning at Church Automotive on hot day 716RWHP 598 TQ

The car on the dyno,, man this Dyna Pac made all the difference
Beauty and the Beast

SILV 08 The ALL ACCESS models and ME

MY APPOLOGIES FOR GOING OFF TOPIC WITH THE EXTRA FOTOS BUT I AM PROUD OF MY CAR AND HOW FAR ITS COME SINCE I BOUGHT IT.

My other Big Brake Option was the Endless knock off. Does any one have any feed back on these. Oh please include what you paid for them and where's the best place to get them.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Just knowing you have a carbon kevlar pad doesn't tell me anything. I would need to know specifically what brand and exact pads are they? My point being if you use a real good high performance pad and brake fluid you would get no fade.

Not trying to talk you out of a BBK, they're really cool and increase brake system durability so go for it.

But if you want to get rid of the fade, consider trying an appropriate pad & fluid; e.g. Carbotech XP10's with ATE Super Blue, or Brembo LCF600, or Motul RBF 600...something like that. No fade panic stopping from 175+ even multiple times.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just knowing you have a carbon kevlar pad doesn't tell me anything. I would need to know specifically what brand and exact pads are they? My point being if you use a real good high performance pad and brake fluid you would get no fade.

Not trying to talk you out of a BBK, they're really cool and increase brake system durability so go for it.

But if you want to get rid of the fade, consider trying an appropriate pad & fluid; e.g. Carbotech XP10's with ATE Super Blue, or Brembo LCF600, or Motul RBF 600...something like that. No fade panic stopping from 175+ even multiple times.
What are your thoughts on Hawk HPS or EBC Green Stuff brake pads? With the fluid you suggested above?:bigok:

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
I've never used those pads so I only have useless impressions and recollections but a big mouth so I'll tell you anyway.

For actual experiences with those, try looking/searching thru the roadrace section here to find reports from others who've used those pads, there have been some.

My twisted/biased/warped memory tells me to avoid Green Stuff, and some of the Hawks are too dusty and the dust is hard to clean off and corrosive to wheels and multiple times I recall reading "rotor eaters". I'd rate my XP10's which are a ceramic pad as moderate dusting, extremely rotor friendly, the dust is very easy to wash off (I use a wide super soft sable hair artist's brush and mild dish detergent) and totally non-corrosive. They almost never make noise and the initial bite is great considering the high temp stopping power http://www.ctbrakes.com/

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just to confirm Nick 95 6sp's comment on EBC Green Stuff pads. They are absolute crap and not worth it. They were also corrosive to the clear coat on my Veilside wheels which I had to get refurbed as a result of using those crap pads. They faded when braking from even 70mph on my Aristo (weighs approx 1650kg/3600lbs).

The Hawk's I've heard the same about them being rotor eaters.

An alternative to the big brake setups would be uprated pads, discs, ducting and any one of the brake fluids listed by Nick 95 6sp.

In my case I'm running DBA 5000 2 piece front rotors using 4 pot Supra calipers, Endless CCX pads and Motul 5.1 fluid, not the RBF version.

Doing multiple 155mph runs yesterday gave me full confidence in stepping on the brakes. No fade, no burning spell, no spongy pedal or anything negative. Of course at 170+ mph things could change due to more heat/friction needed to stop but I'd be more than confident in saying my brake setup would be able to cope without issue.

Just FYI, the rear consists of 2 pot stock GS300 rear calipers, DBA 4000 series 1 piece solid rotors, Endless SSS pads and neither the front or rear are ducted. I intend on creating some ducting during the summer months which no doubt will lower the rotor temperature and in turn help the pad as well.

The rotors also come with heat markings to help determine what kind of temps the rotor has hit during any hard braking. Mine still reads 458c (Green has changed to White).

I hope this is of some help and gives you some assurance that the stock braking setup is more than adequate for track duty as long as it's setup right. It's in no way to say the Brembo's are not worth the money but why not use what you have already and maximise it?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,448 Posts
BTW Brent, those calipers are painted beautifully!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts