SP said its not really for a novice,can it be done with average
mechanical knowledge thanks :p

ps ive owned 4 tt's 1 na mkiv's
and 6 gn's,and changed several turbos on the gn's
but not on mkiv

A

·
0 Posts
Well I have a GN, and the turbo kit installation on the Supra was MUCH easier than heads+turbo on a GN.

Like ttmkiv said, the stock turbos can be a pain.

You can do it.

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
I think you'll be okay...

If you've been pulling turbos off of Grand Nationals I think you'll be okay with the Supra...

Just get some help from some other car buddies...

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
ill tell yopu this much you will invest a whole day just alone taking out the stock turbos!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Suggestion: IF and only if you plan on not selling your turbo manifold w/turbos or ever using it again(which you most likely will not after going single!)........then I suggest you cut the turbo's out...just cut right after the flange on the manifold(closest to the turbo)....the cast iron is brittle so if you can cut atleast 3/4 through it, you then can hammer in a angled edge to break the rest off. The WHOLE assembly will then be free.....and IMO so much easier to take off. IF you do plan on doing it bolt by bolt...then get a bunch of bandaids for your arms;)...serious.

SH
T78

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
There's only one hard bolt on the wastegate assembly (the assembly that the downpipe bolts to). You'll probably need 2 guys to get that one nut off (one guy from below to hold the 14mm 6-sided wrench square on the nut, and one guy from above to turn the wrench). After that one nut, the entire job is no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts