Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... seein as my thread was locked, let me REword this... So this isnt directed at anyone in specific, just in general....

IF, lets say, I have a ddp, and I have the dump tube re-routed back into the down pipe, will I lose the benefit of having the w/g divorced?

Thanks...
Jake

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
i dont think you would, it would keep the wg exhaust out of the engine bay.

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not everyone likes that banshee hiss from a ddp... That's why I asked, has anyone ever done this before?

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
JSupra91T said:
I don't know what kind of w/g dumps you use, but unless your dump is positioned straight up then there is not going to be any w/g exhaust gas hovering in your engine bay...
Duh. That gas is coming out so fast and you are already moving pretty quick when it opens anyway. NO exhaust is going to get into the bay.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
the advantage to a divorced WG is that it allows you to have smooth flow from the turbine exit. the disadvantage is the crazy noise. a generally accepted rule of thumb is return the WG flow to the ex. stream 6"+ after the turbine discharge (or was it 8"?).

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
I am planning on routing mine back into the DP.. The noise is only cool from the outside and in the burnout box :) There is no playing around on the streets with an open WG, attracts way too much attention.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Running an open WG isn't that bad on the street really. I haven't heard a DDP yet, but a true external setup doesn't sound bad at all. In fact, I loved mine. Absolutely loved it. Just like anything with a noisy car though. Just be careful and selective about where you open it up and your fine. An external gate won't open until right at the desired boost level anyway, so you can run around all day up to 18psi (in my case) and it wouldnt' open.

·
Token Black Fry
364 Posts
if the tube reconnecting the WG dump connects to the exhaust with a minimal angle the effect should still be the same. if the connection is at a 90 degree angle then yeah the exhaust gases are going to hit and cause turbulance. you want to get the flow as smooth as possible. i assume you'd have someone custom make this part?

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,078 Posts
To answer your question, yes you can route it back into the end of the downpipe. When you pipe back into the downpipe, go in at an angle and the exhaust flow will create a venturi effect and pull it. And yes you will still see the advantage of a smooth flow from the turbine exit as the good Doc mentioned above..

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,463 Posts
dude just buy sport bike muffler and pop it on there hehehe i really wounder how that whould sound

baaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
The angle one gets fitting WG dumps to the exh is usually determined by WG position, rather than any considerations for turbulence or venturi-effect. As far as I've seen over the years, the angle of entry is most often 90° or close to it...even on very high-end setups. I question the importance of dump tube angle, & doubt that the additional effort in modification would be worth it. Opinions may vary on this, but difference of opinion is part of what makes life interesting.

As far as open WG goes, I liked it for about 2 blocks. Again, a difference of opinion: One man's music is another man's noise, LOL.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
I had my external WG vent back in to my DP to keep the car quite and this also helped because I just opened the dump which vented everything.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,708 Posts
I wouldn’t personally consider a DDP that didn’t reintroduce the WG discharge back into the exhaust or have some other way to reduce the noise.

I would like to know if anyone has put a small muffler on the BIC version and if so what it sounds like.

Dan

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
guys i have a ddp on my car and i have to daily it. it's been over a month at least since i last heard my wg open. you wont hear it unless you're racing the car, and you shouldn't be racing the car on the streets to begin with.

so if a cop hears your wg, you probably have a lot more to worry about than a modified exhaust ticket. i.e. exhibition-of-speed, speeding, wreckless driving, etc.

what about a bov? most of us vent to the atmosphere which is illegal. it's noisy and attracts attention, but everyone still does.

the only downside i've found with this dp is for personal reasons. my car is still running so rich that when i do go wot, it makes all this noise but doesn't go anywhere :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts