Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone dynoed before and after a ignition amplifier mod such as the hks twin power dli or other brands? what kind of gains could be expected?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think you'll expect to not miss and maybe gain the ability to run a larger gap on your plugs which in turn will get you power. Not a ton of power but it may give you a little bit. The big power gain would be if you are missing. My car was missing on the dyno and I saw a loss of up to 89 WHP when I missed.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
silvino said:
I think you'll expect to not miss and maybe gain the ability to run a larger gap on your plugs which in turn will get you power. Not a ton of power but it may give you a little bit. The big power gain would be if you are missing. My car was missing on the dyno and I saw a loss of up to 89 WHP when I missed.
if you run a larger gap on your plugs, wouldn't there be more likelyhood of detonation by causing the gas to burn quicker

·
Banned
945 Posts
jeremy haakonso said:

if you run a larger gap on your plugs, wouldn't there be more likelyhood of detonation by causing the gas to burn quicker
Jeremy,

Detonation is caused by the spontanoeus combustion of air/fuel. If the fuel ignites from the plug's firing, it isn't detonating. That said, it could still ping depending on many factors.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AZWildcat said:

Jeremy,

Detonation is caused by the spontanoeus combustion of air/fuel. If the fuel ignites from the plug's firing, it isn't detonating. That said, it could still ping depending on many factors.
thanks for clearing that up for me:D

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
It can detonate if the plug fires. The plug fires, the flame front begins to spread, the cylinder pressure increases along with the temperature of the mixture, the mixture reaches the fuel's auto-ignition temperature/pressure and BAM! The remaining unburned mixture detonates. That's the most common mechanism of detonation.

Steve

AZWildcat said:

Jeremy,

·
Banned
945 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
It can detonate if the plug fires. The plug fires, the flame front begins to spread, the cylinder pressure increases along with the temperature of the mixture, the mixture reaches the fuel's auto-ignition temperature/pressure and BAM! The remaining unburned mixture detonates. That's the most common mechanism of detonation.

Steve

That's a ping.

Correcting me when I'm right is a bad, bad idea. :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I used regapped plugs BUT I think the real answer still isn't solved because I've got boost leaking after 5k rpms. I haven't had time to mess with anything lately. I should restart work within a month or two. I'm planning new coil packs are all the big guys on the board advise replacing the coils packs so I'm going to do that too. We'll see what happens.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts