Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I've got a 7MGTE and it cranks but won't start. The #1 and #2 coil packs are not firing. I checked continuity in the coil packs, the igniter, and the harness between. All fine. I sent out and had the ECU rebuilt. Did a spark test on all the plug wires with the #3 coil pack and they're fine. I checked the timing, and the timing mark lines up with TDC #1. I pulled and inspected the cam position sensor and it works perfectly, aside from a cracked dust cover and cover seal, which should be here wednesday. Anyone know what's going on? I've been under that hood everyday for a week it seems, and I'm at a loss. Anyone had a similar problem? Anyone know about something I missed? Any ideas would be great, as I'm desperate to get that monster back on the road.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna give it a shot, but do you know the voltage I should be seeing from those wires? Is it roughly 12V, or something wacky? About the jumping of the coil packs, they're not the problem. I swapped both the #1 and #2 with the #3 and they all worked. Thanks for the help, man. I'm gonna go test those wires now.

· Registered
12 Posts
Yeah there's supposed to be 12v at each coil plug with the ignition on. They share a common connection to +12v at the back of the main plug where it splits to the three individual plugs.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all toyota's are hiddious to work on.

You think the 7m oil filter is bad? Try the 2jz RHD supra or aristo... OMG shoot me.
Ha ha. I guess we need nimble asian fingers. Anyway, I fixed it. $300 ECU r&r, $70 igniter, and $60 tow later, (yeah, they won't let me work on my car in my apartment complex...) I find that it's one worn out wire that needed a 24 cent connector replaced. God-damned 'Yotas. I've never been so pissed off/elated in my entire life. At least the the guys who worked on my ECU updated it. It runs much smoother. Now to pop my RS*R springs on to that bitch. If it's not one thing, it's another...

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's the wire to the water temp controller, (forgive me, I'm learning...)which fell off as soon as I disconnected it. Almost 300,000 miles on that car, and Toyota's shitty wiring on the 7M, I should've known. Whatever, my ECU got updated and now it runs super smooth. There's a plus. Not a $400 plus, but whatever. I got my baby back. That's all that matters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.