Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a push button starter on my turbo car, Just wondering, on the ignition barrell, there are 4 wires, can anyone tell me the wire i will have to splice into to be able to use a momentary switch for my push button starter? Thanks guys.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
and if we don't know how to do the whole multimeter thing and want someone to do a writeup for us.......
hang on it's easy as pie.... go do it for us :p

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
haha. i'm a long ways away from doing the whole pushbutton start thing. but when i do get around to it, i'll surely do a writeup!

-shaeff

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got mine installed yesterday, you need a momentary switch, 1 wire tap, some wire, and some tape :p Take off the under cover of the dash/steering column, pull the connection plug off the back of the ignition barrell, TAP into the red/blue(ACC) wire(they're labeled) and run the tapped line to the switch, disconnect the black/white wire (st) and run it to the switch, if you want the switch to be able to start it, along with the key, just solder a wire from the switch to the black/white wires solder point on the connector. Contrare to what people are worried about, if you press the switch while the car is running it wont do anything on a 5speed car unless the clutch is pushed in, may want to hide the switch if you drive an automatic car though. :-d Good luck, The push button is sweeeeet! :p

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
so you don't need a relay or anything to do this?
just get those two wires and put them on the button?
red/blue splice to button & black/white attach to button? or splice as well

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thats exactly right Suprra_girl. :D Mine works exceptionally well. I love it. I put it on my n/a too! Splice into red/blue (DO NOT CUT) just tap into it, and attach the splice to the button, black/white, you can either solder a wire from the button to the solder point on the ignition where black/white connect to the stock ignition, if you still want to be able to use the key to start it also. Or you can take the solder point off and connect the black/white wire directly to the button and the car will only start with the button at that point. :)

Push Button start video

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
hummmm i most likly never put push start on mycar cause it will still need the keep for teh streeing lock

but if you don't wana just use the push button just take the tubler off and cut he lock pin with die grinder or u can use dremale

after that you never need to use your keys again

i did this to my friend track car hehehe

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My steering still locks, and i have to put the key in and turn it to acc or on to be able to start the car. It's the look factor not the function factor, it's just cool to push a button to start your car for some people. My cars are street cars, I would never make it to where all you have to do is push a button, trust me, I don't want my cars stolen, people eyeball them enough as it is.. Aight, holla. lol

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
heh i'll be keeping the use of my key on mine, i'm putting in a button coz of that damn starter click LOL

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,476 Posts
well of cores your going to keep teh key but if you wana have trash pit car akka no one will steal type pof thing ti's the best

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmm... is that an old HKS EVC I see there? On an N/A car... C'MON ADAM... LEMME RUN IT ON MINE!!! :rant2: :furious:

When I get the fat bitch RE-insured we'll have to start doing shit like that to mine.

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not going to be na for long, you know that. As soon as I get my na-t parts from doany.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
suprra_girl said:
heh i'll be keeping the use of my key on mine, i'm putting in a button coz of that damn starter click LOL
Hey Suprra_Girl, I'm not sure you want to tap that area for your pushbutton if your having that type of starting problem. That is a problem with the ignition routing due to depreciated wiring and installing a pushbutton with those wires won't get you any further than the key starter switch. That is of course provided that it's not your key starter switch causing the problem.
The way you want to wire for your problem is to jump a wire from your + battery terminal to your single starter wire connected to your starter with an interupt momentary switch that you'll mount in your car.
The next time you get that "click", just take a wire and connect those 2 points to make sure that fixes your problem and then make a more permanent wiring.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE CLEAR OF ANY MOVING PARTS BEFORE YOU CONTACT.
I don't know how your car's set up but on mine, right above my key starter, there is a provision for a factory function that's not being used. I mounted my pushbutton there. The way it's set up, it's recessed and clear of any accidental engagement while the engine is running.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
thanks for lookin out :)

what i want to do is still keep the use of the key so it's required to be in the on pos to start the car, instead of turning the key to start i wanna push the button instead, so i guess run a +b to the switch and run another wire from the starter to the button?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
With the wiring I explained, which I have myself , you have to turn the key to the on position first for it to work. This hookup just gives you the option of having a separate start switch. You cannot start it without a key.
Pos terminal to switch-switch to starter wire on starter.

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The way I wired it, I have to use the key to turn the car to the on position, it will not start if i put it on Start, i have to push the button to start the car. If the button is hit with the car running it WILL NOT do anything, unless the clutch is in, if you have an auto, hide the button or keep it out of the way, it will try to turn the car over.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Supranforever said:
The way I wired it, I have to use the key to turn the car to the on position, it will not start if i put it on Start, i have to push the button to start the car. If the button is hit with the car running it WILL NOT do anything, unless the clutch is in, if you have an auto, hide the button or keep it out of the way, it will try to turn the car over.
... and this is a great way to wire it if you have a fully functional ignition system with no start problems.
If you have that intermittent click problem like suprra_girl described, this won't fix your problem. Your one of the lucky ones supranforever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts