Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the START position on the ignition as simple as shorting two wires? I'm want to bypass the START position and use a momentary switch instead. In other words, to start the car, I would have to turn the key to ON, then press and hold the button.

Is this feasible? Thanks.

Garland

Y

·
0 Posts
wiring q.

well I don't get why you would want to do that but you can do it by cutting the the starter wire at the switch and installing a seperate switch to it.. I believe it is the thick yellow wire. just run a 12 volt source to one side of the switch and the starter wire to the other side, perferable the 12volt source being an switched source meaning only when the key is on.. good luck..
you can also take it to any car alarm place and they will know how to do it, it's just oppsite of a starter kill

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Sombody has been playing around S2000's too much. (j/k)

Actually, what you should do is hide the start button. Then set up the "start" key position to disable the car. So if sombody ever tries to start your car they will disable it, and not be able to drive off with it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
MKIVSOOPRA-

if i were to do that, i would cut the wire that is located under the steering wheel column close by the ignition switch. you can test the wire by checking if there is a voltage (+12 to +14 v) when you start the car. this wire will have voltage only when you crank the engine. when you release the key, the wire should have no voltage. cut that wire, extend both ends to a momentary push button. when starting the car after the mod, you need to turn the key to the "ON" position before pushing the button.

a potential thief will not be able to start the car without having turning the ignition to the "ON" position. that's how honda s2000 does it.

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

v12oom, that is exactly what I was thinking of doing. However I'm hesitant because I looked at the ignition wiring diagram. It seems that when you hit START, the ON position wires are disconnected. If I used a seperate switch, would I be starting the car with the key in ON??

Link to diagram

Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
from the diagram, it looks like you have to cut the wire that is connected to the IG pin (8) on the ignition switch, install the push button there. splice the wire on pin (3) to the other side of the switch. be sure that one pin of the push button is connected to the side where the starter is connected.

here's the result, hopefully, finger crossed, no, im pretty sure, haha, i hope, when you have the key turn to the ignition position, there will be voltage in the pin 3 which is connected to one side of the push button. when you push the start button, it will be a short, connecting 12 v to the starter; hence, your car will start, providing you're steppin on the clutch if it's manual.

good luck, let me know how it goes.

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
v12oom said:
a potential thief will not be able to start the car without having turning the ignition to the "ON" position. that's how honda s2000 does it.
Yes but I'm saying, go firther and make the old "start" location for the key disable the car so you can't start it even with the button. Once sombody turns the key past the "on" position, the new "start" button is disabled until you (the real owner) resets the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts