Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrite i'm going to install two more gauges in my car both are elctrical type....i know i'll need for both: engine ground, sending unit, ignition source, ignition swithc, and a power and ground for the light.....

i alrady have a EBC, boost guage mounted on the car...the gauges will be placed where the ash tray is...when i installed my EBC i tapped into a unused fuse in the kickpanel fusebox....if i remember correctly behind the dash i don't tihnk there were anymore ignition source....is possible to run two wires for IGN source to the fusebox? if i can how will i be able to do it? also i need to run two wires thru the firewall for engine ground...will i be able to connect them after the guages together and just run one wire for the ground? i'm an electrical noob :sadwavey: so if anyone can help...the would be great :bigthumb:

·
Search
3,305 Posts
engine ground and chassis ground are the same, that's why you have a great big cable going from your block to your chassis :)

what gauges are you installing?

·
Search
3,305 Posts
what you'll need generally...

accessory power (can be found at the fusebox, or ignition harness)
ground (chassis)
switched light power (to make the gauges light up with your lights)

and signal input (duh:))

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
also i need to run two wires thru the firewall for engine ground...will i be able to connect them after the guages together and just run one wire for the ground? i'm an electrical noob so if anyone can help...the would be great
oh boy.

you can use any ground (test it with a multimeter to be sure) in the COCKPIT. you dont need to drill any holes in the firewall for any electrical source.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
justin i'm installing autometer oil pressure, and water temp....

ign power source i can find at the fusebox but how will i can i run it to two different gauges? the ebc is using one can i split into three? what kind of connectors would i need? sorry for the questions...i'm not that good with electrical

as for as the ground...instructions on the autometer said to mount a ground close to sender....thats the reason i thought i would have to run it thru the firewall...

G

·
ok, im not a wiring guru, but if you run the power from the ign then your gauges should be on all the time and kill your battery correct? Im not a big fan on tapping into power from other sources, so when I run gauges I pull power form the alternator with an inline fuse, but thats just me. You should be able to use any good ground though. If you want to there is a rubber plug to the upper left of the clutch I believe that goes threw the firewall.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
supratkfy: You can run two lines from the same point, that will be okay. whatever kind of connectors work really... solder the wires together.. butt-connect them... use the same as your ebc, whatever's the most solid connection

as for the ground being close to the sender, I seriously doubt that will matter, but someone might correct me on that...

sorry for the questions...i'm not that good with electrical
ask away, I don't mind answering questions I know the answer to :) Its better than jacking up your cars electrical system... then you'll really be in trouble :)

[email protected],com

Constant 12V=All the time, regardless of ignition switch position

Ignition 12V=When the key is in the 'On' and 'Start' Position

Accessory 12V= When the key is in the 'Acc' Position

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks justin...ground, sending unit, lights is easy

the problem with running the same lines at the same point...for the EBC i have a spade connector and plugged it into a unused hole in the fusebox....that slot provided a IGN 12V. how will i be able to connect all of them together to run into that? how do i connect all 3 wires at one point before reaching the fusebox?

yea-....my friend with a MKIV did his own gauges and withi the first 2 minutes.....smoke started coming out of the vents.....lucklily it was something shorted and just needed a little new wiring...after that i don't want to mess with anything so i won't fuck the whole electrical system up

G

·
Justin said:
[email protected],com

Constant 12V=All the time, regardless of ignition switch position

Ignition 12V=When the key is in the 'On' and 'Start' Position

Accessory 12V= When the key is in the 'Acc' Position
ahh, Im mixing up the constant wire with the ignition wire, sorry

·
Search
3,305 Posts
supratkfy said:
thanks justin...ground, sending unit, lights is easy

the problem with running the same lines at the same point...for the EBC i have a spade connector and plugged it into a unused hole in the fusebox....that slot provided a IGN 12V. how will i be able to connect all of them together to run into that? how do i connect all 3 wires at one point before reaching the fusebox?

yea-....my friend with a MKIV did his own gauges and withi the first 2 minutes.....smoke started coming out of the vents.....lucklily it was something shorted and just needed a little new wiring...after that i don't want to mess with anything so i won't fuck the whole electrical system up

get a new spade terminal and crimp all three lines in there? Personally, I would only settle for soldering into a line, I don't care for using fuse terminals... I don' tlike the way it connects.

As long as you take your time, and make sure you don't cross any wires, or leave anything bare you should be okay... one reason why i like using the ignition harness for my power is its very heavy gauge wire, it can provide alot of current... one thing to becarefull of is not to draw to much current, but with 2 gauges and an ebc i doubt you're even close :)

ahh, Im mixing up the constant wire with the ignition wire, sorry
:)

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tahnks JUSTIN...im gonna start on installing my gauges tm morning....if i got any more questions i'll post

THANKS FOR THE HELP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts