·
stop-lame-signatures.com
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCES:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/02/293.asp
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...ack=1&cset=true

Illinois Speed Cameras to Take License on 2nd Offense
Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. Second offense tickets are $1000 with license suspension.

Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as "work zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by the devices will be mailed a $375 ticket for the first offense, but a second ticket will cost $1000 and comes with a 90-day license suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their insurance rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city using photo enforcement.

The state will begin with two camera vans issuing tickets in zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the driver's face and license plate are taken. Officials announced the plan on the Dan Ryan Expressway suggesting Chicago area roads are likely to be a target. Illinois Tollway Executive Director Jack Hartman promised more work zones: "Since the Tollway just launched our $5.3 billion Congestion Relief Plan, drivers will see more work zones on the Tollway than they have in the past."

Text of Illinois speed camera law.

Article Excerpt:

IDOT's announcement represents yet another use of technology by authorities to crack down on traffic scofflaws. Chicago has been installing stationary cameras at busy intersections to catch and ticket red-light runners. During approximately the first year of the program, cameras at 10 locations had generated 67,400 citations, city officials said last fall.

Source: IDOT camera vans to catch speeders (Chicago Tribune, 3/30/2005)
Traffic. Construction. Toll increases. (And sh*tty roads despite the higher tolls and construction) High gas prices. More Speedtraps. WTF?!?!?!?!

Almost makes you not want to drive anymore eh? Oh wait, the CTA is cutting down on their routes and schedules.

Arrrgh. IL is really beginning to annoy me.

lateRZ

·
Space for sale
980 Posts
"Let freedom ring..."

Not only this state, but this country is going to the shitters..

who wants to move to China with me?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
As long as they keep these cameras only in work zones....I have no problem keep my speeds to a minimum. But if I get tagged going 46 or 47 while slowing down in a 45 I will be pissed!!! :anger: I hope they don't give out bogus tickets to make up for their state construction costs.....
Overall it really makes you love the Wisconsin highways :D

·
2,024 Posts
Illinois is beginning to annoy me. Frankly our money-loving politicians are the problem, regardless of political party affiliation. They pass toll laws, tax increases, fee (re: taxes called something else) increases, etc., etc., increases and we do nothing. Hardly a wimper from the masses. I agree worker safety is an issue on highways, but this is too much. This is a blatent money grab in the name of "safety". They waste our money for things other than the roads, then have the nerve to ask or lately not ask for more money. It will not stop here. When will the people stand up?

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
FAGGOAVICH! hate that damn guy and i hope to god he never gets re-elected.

·
stop-lame-signatures.com
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Larrabee said:
i would think they do. but you shouldnt speed in work zones. you dont wanna kill a worker then ur really fucked.
For the record, I have no problem with protecting the highway workers who literally risk life and limb working on our POS highways, but if they're not on-site, except for obvious situations (e.g. highway goes from 3 or more lanes down to one) what the fizznuck are you going to ask everyone else to slow down for?

Well we'll just have to wait and see if these new speedtraps make the mark on places like "speedtraps.com".

I'm actually considering an LCD paneled platecover that one of the OBD-II/Supercars guys brought up (Paolo), it's clear until you put current through it, then it turns black.

I'd like to get one of the phantom plates too, but I suspect that anyone (not just cameras) viewing from a 30 degree angle, or really at any angle other than head on, will know you've got one of "those covers". The bad with that is that law enforcement (particularly in traffic violation prone areas: read smaller jurisdictions that need the revenue) can see these covers too and will most likely (and usually very aggressively) pull you over for attempting to obscure your license plate. (It is illegal to cover your plate in IL, even with a perfectly CLEAR non-obstructing cover... I know because I had to explain why I had one to a Judge after being pulled over in Park Ridge a number of years ago).

lateRZ

PS:
Chicago has been installing stationary cameras at busy intersections to catch and ticket red-light runners. During approximately the first year of the program, cameras at 10 locations had generated 67,400 citations, city officials said last fall.
Wow this is from only 10 cameras??? Lets just say the fine is only $50 (and we know it's waaaay more, anyone have the exact figure?)... 67,400 x $50 = =$3,370,000.00!?!? SHADY BASTARDS!!!!!!! (I'm glad I don't run red lights, but yellow to red transitions... that's possible.. how accurate is the timing on those things... additionally, who is responsible for calibrating and maintaining those badboys... and are they records of such service public?!?!?)

PPS: Be glad we don't live in Oregon, they're proposing GPS in everyone's cars for *gasp* TAXATION purposes, e.g. metered usage of public roads, pay based upon how many miles you drive.

PPPS: Anyone else up for moving to New Zealand? LOL!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Big Bro is watching! Time to get some of that stuff Badabing is pushin and paint the car flat black. Night vison is on order! Mark

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
Boy I miss living and driving in the city and burbs:rolleyes:

I have no problem with stiff penalties to reduce injuries in these zones, but Illinois doesn't even know the meaning of the term "work zone".....You seldom see anyone "working" in a work zone, just a few mile stretch of cones and barriers. Even when there are actually people present in the "work zone" it usually entails 5 people standing around watching one person working.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
banton said:
You seldom see anyone "working" in a work zone, just a few mile stretch of cones and barriers. Even when there are actually people present in the "work zone" it usually entails 5 people standing around watching one person working.
:lol: funny cause it's true :lol:

·
Sheep on the hood...
511 Posts
PhlypSide said:
(I'm glad I don't run red lights, but yellow to red transitions... that's possible.. how accurate is the timing on those things... additionally, who is responsible for calibrating and maintaining those badboys... and are they records of such service public?!?!?)
go to cali / arizona

they work just fine - you can run a yellow - but the minute you cross on a red - they'll make you feel like you are a movie star

*snap*

·
1jz-gte motivation
805 Posts
I dunno, my old man has been a Construction Worker for 25 years now...I'm personally glad. He has come home in the past too many times and told me about the friend he just lost on the job because he was struck by a car or someone knocked them off a footing...It's ridiculous.

·
stop-lame-signatures.com
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm glad to slow down when there are workers actually present or when the construction (even without workers present) has significantly altered e.g. caused 3 lanes to merge down to 1 or where the pavement has been chopped/textured.

I still say the main reason for these cameras is revenue, and that drives me nuts!!!

lateRZ

·
Registered
854 Posts
I went to Michigan this past weekend for a conference and I noticed that the construction area of I-94, nobody slows down. Construction workers were on the side of the road working, but people continued to do in excess of 65 mph, even though the workzone speed limit was 45 mph. I was the only idiot on the right lane going at 50 mph.

If they are reasonable and only ticket the blatantly offensive, then I have no problem with the cameras. If it's purely for revenue, then screw them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts