Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got pulled over today on 295 around Richmond . The officer said he heard my exhaust when I passed. (bull shit)

I have the apexi n1 full catback on a non turbo supra. IMO its not loud at all. On
the ticket he wrote under LAW SECTION 46.2-1047 which states

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.

Is there any shops where they test the decibel of exhaust? Im not taking the exhaust off bc I dont have the stock one. Is it worth to fight this ticket or just pay it? I think my car caught his attention so he pulled me over, maybe the Rod millen wing??? I also got a window tint ticket all though my windows where down and he tried to get me a ticket for my indash. DAMN COPS!

·
It's all ball bearings...
889 Posts
blazinsi: As I recall any aftermarket exhaust is illegal under VA law. It is a pay to play type of deal or return it to stock. It sucks but it is the law. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can try fighting the ticket, I got out of an illegal suspension ticket and exhaust ticket issued to me by a Virginia State Trooper. The bill I talked about that was introduced in Jan. of 05 got shot down, check the sema.org website to see if a new bill has been introduced to VA. Legislation. Here is how it played out for me in July of 2005:
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!
Fella's, good news, had my court date friday for my illegal exhaust and suspension ticket. I plead not guilty to both charges and got both dismissed...

I got out of the lowering ticket by taking pictures of me measuring the actual height of the bumper and it clearly showed it was 14 inches above the ground at the time I was stopped. The state trooper measured the bottom of the bumper cover, not the actual bumper. I have since upgraded to 17 inch wheels which raised it up to 18 inches from the ground. Judge said ok, I will dissmiss this ticket.

Next the judge says how do you plead for your illegal exhaust. Of course I say not guilty. Told the judge I did research on the sema.org website, I saw a bill had been introduced to the VA. legislation in January of 2005 that said as long as your exhaust is under 95db's it't not considered excessively loud. I explained this bill was currently in use in CA.,WA. and Maine to determine excessively loud exhuasts.

I told him I was curious to see if my exhaust was over 95db's. My dad tested my mr2 and he is certified to use DB's meters and our findings were..... At idle it was around 77DB's and at 3,000 rpm's it was 84DB's. It was clear my exhaust was well below 95DB's. Meanwhile state trooper Short was looking at me in disbeleif. The judge asked the state trooper how loud my car was.... the state trooper replied "louder than most cars". The judge was not satisfied with that answer and said based on the actual code that was written on my ticket he could not find me guilty. Exhaust ticket was dismissed . That was kind of a cliff note version.

I got a kick out this.... I turn to walk away and the judge says...... "Mr. Koehne..... are you studying to be a lawyer" I reply no...... Judge says "you should".... I walk off with a huge smile.

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
ive gone through this twice in PA (for exhaust) and I have yet to win even though the cop has no db readings and uses general terms...imo the judge just doesnt care and its not like im going to spend the money/time on appeal.

I usually just say pay the ticket because its one of those things you probably wont win even if you are in the right. It really just depends on how the judge is feeling that day.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
I say that its worth a shot at fighting it cuz I can tell you that it was your car that got his attention not the exhaust! If they shoot you down and tell you to remove it, Ive got a stock exhaust system in great condition sittin in my shed. Whats the harm in fighting it anyway, he may not even show and it could get thrown out!!!

·
889 Posts
Here is the law in VA pertinent to exhaust systems:

§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

So basically anything that is not OEM or OEM equivalent (i.e. anything aftermarket) is illegal. Virginia is not lenient on this issue. There are very few ways of getting around this law it seems.

Parkay: The bill you mentioned above indeed was not enacted (see here) and the law I cited is still controlling in terms of exhaust noise. Too bad for us :(

On Edit: Hey, Supra_404, don't you work for the VA DEQ Nazis anyway? :) Can't you give us some tips or something? Help a brother out!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would suggest obtaining a receipt for a baffle / silencer and presenting it to the judge at the hearing.

I got pulled over a few years ago and had a friend, who owned a speed shop, write up a phony receipt for me. I showed it to the judge and he dismissed the ticket.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on going to court to get the window tint ticket droppe.. Im taking it off because its old anyways but if the officer doesnt show up would that help me in anyway?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
fuindustries said:
blazinsi: As I recall any aftermarket exhaust is illegal under VA law. It is a pay to play type of deal or return it to stock. It sucks but it is the law. Good luck either way.

hah i love it.."its the law"...haha biggest joke in the world..the law..haha who really gives a fuck about how loud your exhaust is ont he road..i mean i hear dump trucks and 18 wheelers go by me that make my car sound like its powered by electric motors....
fuckin BS
yeah its the law alright...just another law in the book of money making scemes that the government places in there so they can stop people for more bullshit reasons and make some extra cash from it...cops and govt dont really care about other people and the loud noise pollution that it makes..they care that you break the law so they can suck some cash outa yo ass..

haha love this country

Ant

·
Blue Thunder
3,698 Posts
I'm from MD, do they not have Harley's and Rustangs in VA ? I think they'd be way LOUDER than anything on a Supra !!! Did they pull over all those Bikers on Memorial day when they had that Freedom Ride ? I think not !!! This is a Bullitsh law !!! I bet we can thank the Honda driver's for this "Selective Enforcement" practice !!! Can you say PROFILING !!!!

And this law APPLIES TO EVERYONE that drives through VA !!! VA resident or not !!! I got pulled over for tint, exhaust and height in Mecklenburg VA. :-(
So beware if you drive south via VA.

p.s. I'm a Honda driver myself !!! It's my DD, but I'm no ass when I drive it...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
cops are the reason i have my pilots license...fuck em all i say once i go wheels up

A

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
fuindustries said:
On Edit: Hey, Supra_404, don't you work for the VA DEQ Nazis anyway? :) Can't you give us some tips or something? Help a brother out!
I work for ESP of MD but we are contracted out by VA DEQ to do emissions testing. We dont care if you have an open down pipe or headers like John Force's funny car, as long as you arent polluting the air excessively. Its VDOT ( Virginia Department of Transportation) and the local PD (Prick Departments) that are causing the problems. Ive been given a ticket before sitting still cuz my exhaust "Looked like it was loud cuz it was BIG". DEQ cares more about hydrocarbon levels than noise levels. Im tryin to figure out a way to get us off the hook too cuz it pisses me off! And like $9ktt said they are just profiling us! Semi's with 10" straight stacks and diesel pickups with 4"straight thru exhausts are louder than us at WOT.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah there is no way in hell he heard me come by and I basically told him that, then he started yacking about my tv... but seriously a 03/04 cobra, hemi, etc stock from the factory is louder then my car..

·
900hp in progress...
415 Posts
yea those tickets are pretty retarded. The main thing that is of concern with exhaust systems is pollution rather than noise. Like stated, 95db is pretty fuckin loud. Something like the sound of a tractor trailor bouncing its rev limiter...most police will just profile and pick out cars that look like theyre loud without acctually testing. They will lable it as unlawfully modified exhaust, which it is not. The only way it will be legally truely unlawfully modified is if there are no cats (oopsie ;) ). Mufflers themselves do exactly that, they muffle. If you have a muffler, you are legal. You can take it to a shop (a friends shop if you want it for free ;) ) and have them write up a ticket stating that the cat(s) are indeed in place and the exhaust is indeed lawful. Its stupid BS tickets like that (and front plate tags) in maryland that really piss me off. Total bullshit. The cops write tickets without even knowing their own laws. I had a cop say something about my exhaust once (HKS Hiper) talking like he was going to give me a ticket for it...my brother and I started arguing to him (my brother is a mechanic) that the exhaust system is legal, just because it has different mufflers doesnt mean shit. If it has cats, its legal (although mine didnt haha oh well). Surprise surprise, he only comes back with a ticket for my front plate...

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I talked to a few other people and some say it goes against your record.. "your insurance company sees it an an "ncedence."

·
889 Posts
Supra_404: Gotcha. If you come up with anything on that front, let us know, it would be much appreciated :)

blazinsi: Police do tend to look more closely at younger import drivers even though there are 'Stangs, F-bodies & Hogs all over the road that make a hell of a lot more noise. It's not cool, but those are the breaks & profiling happens. I don't know how insurance companies deal with exhaust tickets (I imagine each company handles it differently and you would have to check with your specific insurer), but you should be able to show the court that you put the car back to stock and have a good chance at the ticket being dropped. Of course you would have to acquire a stock exhaust and do the work, but if insurance is a big enough factor it may be worth it to you. I keep my stock exhaust around just for that purpose in case I ever have a problem. I have been lucky though with this car and no cops have pulled me over for the exhaust since I got it (Super Dragger, 1.5 years). Now that I've mentioned that fact, I better not drive the car for a few months to be safe :) Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

G

·
just got to a muffler shop and get them to cut off the ricey little can at the end and get a muffler that looks OEM, u can even have a flange made for the end so u can put the high flow muffler when u race but cops love to pull over any car that has any hint of ricer

·
Registered
298 Posts
In VA any modded exhaust is illegal. Thats why my 4" turbo back exhaust with aeroturbine exhaust and no cat is bone stock :1poke: after all, how may supras do you see around. Its not like hondas with a big exhausts that you know doesn't fit....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts